Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

Guessing from your username that you're from the Gulf Coast, one thing to consider is heat management.

The 'Sport Tourer' class is well known for heat issues, in that they tend to try to cook either the driver or the pillion. The dressers are too, but they aren't on your list.

Your list will be pared down quite a bit if your pillion helps you choose. Several of the bikes are just awful for a passenger, and that's if they are less than 100 lbs and under 5' tall. Bigger, and they are much worse.

For instance, I dearly love my '03 Sprint ST. However, the LOML doesn't ride with me, so the not-so-comfy p-pad is not a problem. If she did, I'd have to find a different bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
It's funny how most people forget the Bandit, despite being a quite capable bike (especially now with ABS). Good pick, as is the Moto Guzzi!
It's too bad that the Bandit gets no respect. It's arguably the best all-rounder available especially considering price. If not for the great deal I got on the Tiger I likely would have thrown for the Bandit, or possibly the DL1000. There's nothing a Bandit won't do competently, or the DL for that matter.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You're right about that. I kick myself in the butt for selling mine but I wanted an FLH and wanted to put as much down as I could. Both the 2nd and 3rd Gen Bandits are excellent street bikes.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Guessing from your username that you're from the Gulf Coast, one thing to consider is heat management.

The 'Sport Tourer' class is well known for heat issues, in that they tend to try to cook either the driver or the pillion. The dressers are too, but they aren't on your list.

Your list will be pared down quite a bit if your pillion helps you choose. Several of the bikes are just awful for a passenger, and that's if they are less than 100 lbs and under 5' tall. Bigger, and they are much worse.

For instance, I dearly love my '03 Sprint ST. However, the LOML doesn't ride with me, so the not-so-comfy p-pad is not a problem. If she did, I'd have to find a different bike.
i am actually from Chicago, and the name has nothing to do with location. However, heat is a consideration, and I have heard the FJR can generate some heat.
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The two-up riding limits your choices, if you want your passenger to be comfortable. The Bandit is probably the best choice mentioned, if you consider price, power, and comfort. I love my XX, but if you decide on one of those, you'll have to find your own; I'm keeping mine.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
is the new z1000 that much better then the previous gen example? I ask because I don't think I need that much horsepower.

what makes the factory exhaust "way cool?"
There's a terrific review of the bike on the front page of this very site. Plus more reviews in pretty much every bike mag (except American Iron...go figure). Anyway, it's pretty much unanimous that this new generation of Z is vastly superior to the previous ones. I cannot speak to it's ride (until Thursday...I'll get back to you), but the guys here at Motorcycle.com find it superb.

The exhaust is sort of an inside joke...they are quite unique and have been a topic on the site previously.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

The early FJRs threw a little heat. I don't disagree that it's a pretty big bike, but I commute with a sport tourer and it's not too terrible. The two bikes that may slip right between the supersports and the sport tourers would be the Yamaha FZ6R and the and that Suzuki GXF 650. Both can be had new for under $7K easily.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
clearwaterms
Founding Member

***update***

I realize that this decision is as much my wife's (she is the 2 in 2up) as it is mine. I discussed it with her last night and presented her with a list of options (of course she was price sensitive) and the list included the vStrom, the triumph speed triple (but I am including the z1000 and other naked bikes in that list), the FJR, the suzuki bking and the Triumph Rocket III.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
***update***

I realize that this decision is as much my wife's (she is the 2 in 2up) as it is mine. I discussed it with her last night and presented her with a list of options (of course she was price sensitive) and the list included the vStrom, the triumph speed triple (but I am including the z1000 and other naked bikes in that list), the FJR, the suzuki bking and the Triumph Rocket III.
The strom will be the cheapest to own and insure. Great bike. Tons of reasons to get one. Wifey will be much happy.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The strom will be the cheapest to own and insure. Great bike. Tons of reasons to get one. Wifey will be much happy.
having come from the Suzuki SV650, the vStrom 1000 is a very attractive bike.