Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I don't care what is cool or in style, what the market wants or does not want."

But the manufactuers do care!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"I don't care what is cool or in style, what the market wants or does not want."

But the manufactuers do care!
Yes, but you're just one of those corporate @ss-kissers!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yes, but you're just one of those corporate @ss-kissers!
A 64 horsepower corporate a$$ kisser!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
colder
Registered Member

I'm cheering for the Z1000, because I think the streetfighter niche needs to become more than a niche here in the US.

But I've never loved a bike the way I love my '08 Speed Triple. It's just about perfect. I like the Z1000 in principle, but you don't get the Speed Triple's motor, which is what's so fantastic about it.

Others have mentioned things like curb appeal (the Triumph is going to get that over "some weird looking Kawasaki thing" any day) and the strange exhaust... but for me, the character of the motor is the reason why you buy the Triumph. And that's the most important thing, right?

(and it goes without saying, the bike absolutely screams)

Last edited by colder : 03-05-2010 at 11:11 AM.
colder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The Triumph triples are indeed fantastic motors. They have a unique character laden sound and their mid focused power delivery is great for street use.

I just about went for a Tiger instead of my FZ1, but the Tiger's cost was a bit high when taking the mods I would want on it into consideration (suspension, exhaust, PCIII) and I liked the FZ1's horsepower potential. I will have to get around to owning a Triumph Triple at some point though, no doubt about it
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The Triumph triples are indeed fantastic motors. They have a unique character laden sound and their mid focused power delivery is great for street use.

I just about went for a Tiger instead of my FZ1, but the Tiger's cost was a bit high when taking the mods I would want on it into consideration (suspension, exhaust, PCIII) and I liked the FZ1's horsepower potential. I will have to get around to owning a Triumph Triple at some point though, no doubt about it
They always sound like they're not hittin' on all four to me.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
They always sound like they're not hittin' on all four to me.........

Probably them crappo Spanish Amal's loading up and drownin' the plug........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
I'm cheering for the Z1000, because I think the streetfighter niche needs to become more than a niche here in the US.

But I've never loved a bike the way I love my '08 Speed Triple. It's just about perfect. I like the Z1000 in principle, but you don't get the Speed Triple's motor, which is what's so fantastic about it.

Others have mentioned things like curb appeal (the Triumph is going to get that over "some weird looking Kawasaki thing" any day) and the strange exhaust... but for me, the character of the motor is the reason why you buy the Triumph. And that's the most important thing, right?

(and it goes without saying, the bike absolutely screams)
Unfortunately for Kawasaki most of the people seeking hooligan bikes are going to agree with you and buy the S3.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #29
ThePumpguy
Registered Member

The Z1000 is the bike I've been waiting for, but now that it's not here I'm not going to buy. The styling is just too off-putting, and it'd be dangerous to put a big paper bag over my helmet while riding so nobody would know who I was.

All that aside, I get a bit tired of hearing from the manufacturers that Noth Americans don't "get" these bikes and that they don't sell here. I think we do, and they would, if they made a serious effort to market one to our tastes. Like it or not styles and trends are different between North America and Europe (and Asia) and what's designed to be a hit there might not be here.

Kawasaki will sell some Z1000s here, but for every guy who HAS to have it based on styling there will be a dozen, like me, who WOULD have bought it but won't as the styling is just overdone. The B-King came on with overdone and lasted a year: this one will be about the same. Frustrating this is to get it where I think it needs to be would cost essentially zero: it just needs to be done and they could have bikes that appeal to each market individually.

If Kawasaki ever get serious about THIS market I still have my $7,400 pay bonus just sitting there, waiting to be spent. It'll probably end up going for a Suzuki Bandit, though.

Kawasaki: is that Japanese for "a swing & a miss"?

At the end of the year I can probably pick one up for $7,500. MAYBE at that point it'd be worth it, although I'll almost certainly have picked up something else by then.
ThePumpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #30
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Follow-up

I finally got out to the local stealership and had a chance to sit on both the Triumph Street Triple and the new Kawasaki Z1000. For my 6'5" frame (36" inseam), the Kawi just plain fit better. The fit and finish on the Zed was on par with the Trumpet. Some might say the Triumph's style is "classic", but IMHO, the Triumph style is starting to look dated. Overall, the Kawi presents well in person.

One thing I don't particularly care for are all the plastic cowlings surrounding the forks. Once they get scratched and faded, they probably will look like excrement. Nevertheless, the chunky styling of the Z1000 is cohesive from front to back.

I'm narrowing down the choices for my next bike. It will likely be either the new Z1000, the Triumph Sprint ST, the new Honda VFR, or the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I'll let you know the clear front runner once I check out the Viffer in person in a couple of weeks.

NOTE: Thanks to KDuke and company for their excellent review of the new VFR. Now I have another bike to consider as a stable mate to the Uly.