Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Molyneux
Registered Member

Default Searching a perfect bike...

Good day to everyone. It's my first thread and I hope you can help me. Soon I'm going to buy my very first moto and I'm kinda new in 'this'. I thought that Suzuki Marauder VZ 800 would be perfect but I've read a lot about lacks of power. Admitting that choppers (or cruisers, whatever) are not fulfilling my requests (power, handling, price) I'm searching for some other bike. Next to choppers I like motos looking in the ol' good style like these ones: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...est-14278.html (drag racers style, simple construction). But the problem is.. my knowledge about those machines is very narrow, I can't name many of them. Could you help me?

Last edited by Molyneux : 02-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Two things. Well, three.

1) Where are you (USA/Europe/Aus/Tierra Del Fuego)?

2) What kind of riding do you anticipate? Any 2-up? Long distance?

3) Pack a lunch, and read the New Riders 'sticky'.

Then we can give you some pointers.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Molyneux
Registered Member

I'm from Europe. I wolud use it to ride mostly in the city, alone and rare long distances.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

SUZUKI DL650- w/ abs. 1st: Don't worry about power. It's not something that should even be on your radar. 2nd: It doesn't sound like the VZ is where you wanted to start- it's just a bike that caught your eye. 3rd: Decide how dedicated you want to be to the ride.
Owning a bike is not the cheap affair that most think it is. To properly maintain a bike you must live by the service schedule. If you have no mechanical aptitude then others (your local wrench) must help. Think about the cost of insuring that bike. Maybe it's not a bike at all, but a scooter that you need to start with. After that calculate the amount of money you think you would spend on petrol. If you can't gas her you can't ride her. Then look at the resale value of the bike you'd like to purchase. If you can't get out of her what you think is fair when it's time to sell then you may be looking at the wrong bike, again.
Age is a factor in insuring bikes. If you're young I'd say that buying a bike that is over 600cc may present an issue depending on the type of bike. READ the New Rider thread that pushrod mentioned.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Molyneux
Registered Member

I'm into reading this My dad is very good mechanic, I was thinking about his help. I have some profits to keep her riding and servicing if needed. And about VZ - I was always attracted by choppers, their look and what they represent.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Cruiser styling with some real handling and some potential? Triumph Speedmaster.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molyneux View Post
I'm into reading this My dad is very good mechanic, I was thinking about his help. I have some profits to keep her riding and servicing if needed. And about VZ - I was always attracted by choppers, their look and what they represent.
Seru is on to something with the Triumph America thing. Also, look at the Honda Shadow 750 series of bikes. Other than that, Moto Guzzi Nevada or a simple to work on Harley XL883. Cruisers are not about horsepower. They are torque driven machines. They are not know for their handling manners or braking prowess. If your search is better handling and breaking then look toward standards like a Triumph Bonni Black, a used Kawasaki W650 or new Enfield (w/ FI) for that matter. Not exactly sportbike sharp but better than the cruisers. If you are settled on the cruisers then my first pick would probably be the Triumph Bonni America.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Molyneux
Registered Member

wow! That Kawa w650 is perfect! I have to search for one. Thanks a lot If only I could find used Bonnie...

Last edited by Molyneux : 02-25-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molyneux View Post
wow! That Kawa w650 is perfect! I have to search for one. Thanks a lot If only I could find used Bonnie...
Dude- they're everywhere. The Bonni Blacks that were made in the middle 2000s are selling for under $4k here in Atlanta. The Kawi W650s were only sold here for a couple of years. I believe that they made them until 2006-2007, though.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Molyneux
Registered Member

Well, Bonnies unfortunately are not so popular in my country... And so Kawa w650, it's hard to find any stock.