Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
punkachu
Registered Member

Default Anyone Heard Of A Super Magna?

hey guys

im considering trading my 82 harley sportster,for a 88 honda super magna.

think this is a bad trade? my harley is alittle too built up for me, so im looking for a slower bike.
punkachu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

The magna's were strong 4 cylinder bikes. I wouldnt think they were slow, but they were before my time.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Yeo. An 1100 Magna is a lot slower.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

There is nothing about those Magnas that is slow. Quite powerful, indeed.

My friend has one. She originally had a Honda Shadow cruiser, but thought it was too big and heavy (handling). She ended up getting an older Magna and loves it. She is petite, but thinks the power delivery is quite manageable. She does admit the bike will hustle, if you twist the throttle.

It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say.

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-24-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Liquid hot Magna pours down the mountainside, destroying everything in it's path. Villagers flee before the wave of death, leaving all their worldly possessions behind. The weak and sickly must be left to die, yes, die an excruciating death, as the liquid hot Magna consumes them, inexorably smothering them in molten rock and volcanic gasses. Finally, interminably, the liquid hot Magna reaches the sea...the cooling sea...where this once omnipotent force is quenched, satiated, to become new land, someday fertile land, where motorcycles will someday ride.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a motorcycle named "Magna," but that's just me.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Is this a joke.

Yes, it is a bad trade. The Super Magna was an upgrade of the earlier total POS Magna series. So mechanically the Magna is fairly sound unlike the older ones. However maintenance on Magnas is a total nightmare. Avoid old Magnas like the plague.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Liquid hot Magna pours down the mountainside, destroying everything in it's path. Villagers flee before the wave of death, leaving all their worldly possessions behind. The weak and sickly must be left to die, yes, die an excruciating death, as the liquid hot Magna consumes them, inexorably smothering them in molten rock and volcanic gasses. Finally, interminably, the liquid hot Magna reaches the sea...the cooling sea...where this once omnipotent force is quenched, satiated, to become new land, someday fertile land, where motorcycles will someday ride.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a motorcycle named "Magna," but that's just me.

Impressive........

I'd keep the Sportster, Ironheads gain in value every day while a Magna is, well...a Magna.

Interestingly enough I rode a '84 V65 Sabre for a couple of years when I was broke and as I recall it was anything but slow. Honda built those to compete with the Yami V Max during the '80's horsepower wars. Both are excellent straight line bikes but not a whole lot of good for anything else, plus Honda V Fours melt their voltage regulator/rectifiers and connectors on a fairly regular basis. I'd avoid it like the plague if I were you.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Magna .. not be confused with manga (per wikipedia) or magma. Maybe they should have called it Magnum, but then people might confuse it with a car, hey?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Maybe they should have called it Magnum, but then people might confuse it with a car, hey?
... or a condom.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

The Super Magna was made for only 2 yrs if I remember. It was a 700cc v4 that (rumored) had 90hp at the crank. Tuners could get up to 105hp without breaking into the motor. It's a shaft drive bike. Make sure that it will stick in 2nd gear if you launch it hard. If it pops out of gear the shift rod is pobably bent (from hard launches-lol). It not a cheap fix.