Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #41
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I never really noticed a difference as far as headlights go. The Batwing goes where you point it in slow speeds, that's true but the fixed headlight in my Trophy, and the BMW's had enough dispersion to where I didn't really notice any blind spots. I actually like the look of the Chris Craft..I mean Road Glide but once again HD caters to pipsqueaks and puts the kool low seat on there. The Batwing FLH models all have a more realistic seat height.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #42
Larry
Founding Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No, that would be Victory.
I guess you haven't checked out pricing lately. Best not to work on suppositions and guesses. Actually verifying real world data will keep you from looking like an idiot.
Street Glide: Starting at $18,999
Cross Country: Starting at $17,999
Stratoliner: $17,490

Boy, I hate when I run my mouth and I'm wrong... Oh wait, the Harley is the most expensive.

Right now, baggers are the sellers. Who is producing class leading baggers? When they compare the Yamaha and the Victory the Yamaha comes out ahead in some things (less buffetting, more power, less vibration). This does not bunch up my panties at all. It is what it is. Credit where credit is due. Go Yamaha! Nice Job!

Add pipes and a better airbox to Yamaha or the Victory and you have Goldwing performance from your V-Twin bagger. That's pretty good. If you want a Harley to run like that it'll cost you $4,500 on top of the already higher price of admission.

Face it, Harley is out-gunned. You can get as pissed off as you want but it doesn't change the fact that HD is playing catch-up in the bagger class.
__________________
Victory Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big bore
126 HP/134 TQ -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Street Glide: Starting at $18,999
Cross Country: Starting at $17,999
Stratoliner: $17,490

Boy, I hate when I run my mouth and I'm wrong... Oh wait, the Harley is the most expensive.

Right now, baggers are the sellers. Who is producing class leading baggers? When they compare the Yamaha and the Victory the Yamaha comes out ahead in some things (less buffetting, more power, less vibration). This does not bunch up my panties at all. It is what it is. Credit where credit is due. Go Yamaha! Nice Job!

Add pipes and a better airbox to Yamaha or the Victory and you have Goldwing performance from your V-Twin bagger. That's pretty good. If you want a Harley to run like that it'll cost you $4,500 on top of the already higher price of admission.

Face it, Harley is out-gunned. You can get as pissed off as you want but it doesn't change the fact that HD is playing catch-up in the bagger class.

Can I still be a member of the Victory Cross Dressers club that you are the Prez of?
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Street Glide: Starting at $18,999
Cross Country: Starting at $17,999
Stratoliner: $17,490

Boy, I hate when I run my mouth and I'm wrong... Oh wait, the Harley is the most expensive.

Right now, baggers are the sellers. Who is producing class leading baggers? When they compare the Yamaha and the Victory the Yamaha comes out ahead in some things (less buffetting, more power, less vibration). This does not bunch up my panties at all. It is what it is. Credit where credit is due. Go Yamaha! Nice Job!

Add pipes and a better airbox to Yamaha or the Victory and you have Goldwing performance from your V-Twin bagger. That's pretty good. If you want a Harley to run like that it'll cost you $4,500 on top of the already higher price of admission.

Face it, Harley is out-gunned. You can get as pissed off as you want but it doesn't change the fact that HD is playing catch-up in the bagger class.
5 years later:

HD - $14K
Victory - $7K
Any Yamaha - $5K.

Well, actually my Tiger easily out guns every Victory ever made for $6K less. But, buy big 750lb weak sister V-twins, by all means. I like cheapo used bike deals.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #45
anrajala
Founding Member
 
anrajala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default Answer is yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Can I still be a member of the Victory Cross Dressers club that you are the Prez of?
Cross dressers? Freudian slip perhaps, longride? Its funny how the cruiser scene seems to attract types who see the bike as a fashion accessory where only the looks and brand matter. Horsepower or grunt is not in the equation. So what if Polaris has a better engine? The whole thing is reduced to sort of a oversize man-bag really.

But the fact is, exactly like Kevin Duke says in the Z1000-Speed triple comparo: “No other component defines a motorcycle as much as its engine.”

How true.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Can I still be a member of the Victory Cross Dressers club that you are the Prez of?
I wonder what it is like to have your existence defined in relationship to Harley-Davidson. These clowns can't shut up about it. Their entire lives are evaluated in relationship to the Motor Company.

Like the people who buy .40 S&W pistols and then spend the rest of their lives comparing it to the .45. "Better than!" "As good as!"

Why not get the real thing since they are entirely consumed by it anyhow? Or is it a much darker discreditable psychopathy... the need to degrade others in order to make one feel better about oneself?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #47
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Dr. Saruzawa, you may have hit the nail on the head there. If one is satisfied with ones purchase why the need for constant reassurance that said purchased item is "the best"? In such a subjective argument as "which motorcycle is best" why the constant insatiable need to gain validation of ones own opinion when there are as many opinions as there are motorcycles.

The truth of the matter is as you've said. Ten years from now the Harley will have lost little of it's value, while the Victory and Yamastar will be worth a 1/4 of their purchase price at best. At least the Yamaha will have some measure of support, the Victory will be another in a long line of defunct motorcycles with narrow appeal and issues in finding parts or any kind of support.

An interesting psychosis, a predictably Pavlovian response coupled with Freudian issues of inferiority manifesting in a need to assert the correctness of the subjects purchase decision while simultaneously exhibiting internalized doubt over that very same purchase.

I knew that High School psychology class would turn out to be a good investment ...............
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #48
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
An interesting psychosis, a predictably Pavlovian response coupled with Freudian issues of inferiority manifesting in a need to assert the correctness of the subjects purchase decision while simultaneously exhibiting internalized doubt over that very same purchase.

I knew that High School psychology class would turn out to be a good investment ...............
So, what you're saying here Doctor, is that some of these guys have small weiners?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, what you're saying here Doctor, is that some of these guys have small weiners?
If you say it like sarnali did you can charge $100 per hour to tell your patients that they have small wieners. And either way you get the same result you always get from psychology.... same result you get from going to a Voodoo witch doctor.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #50
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, what you're saying here Doctor, is that some of these guys have small weiners?

No, they hate their mothers...weren't you listening?

That'll be $100.00 please..........
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off