Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Cb750 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14467-cb750.html)

pplassm 02-22-2010 04:55 AM

Sounds like a fun project! Wish I could see the picture......

Kenneth_Moore 02-22-2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripleripple (Post 235206)
...this is how it starts, isn't it? This is why I worked OT until 11 on a Sunday night for parts money, and why I'll be too busy to bother taking a girl out for a second date, and why I can't wait to go to Sears for some new tools. I love it and hope you all do too.

Ah, memories. When I bought my 77 Low Rider, my HD mechanic friend Marcus told me: "you can ride it for about a year as is, then it's going to need a frame-up rebuild." So I did, and then we did. It was the most frustrating 2 years of my life rebuilding that bike. Mostly trying to get Marcus to get out to his shop and help me work on the damn thing. But when it was done, I had a brand-new 77 Low Rider that was actually a little better than new with it's electronic ignition, Progressive suspension, and S&S carb. Any where we went the bike got a lot of attention. 15 years later, I wasn't enjoying it any more, so I passed it on to another.

seruzawa 02-22-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripleripple (Post 235206)
Finally, this is the first time I've had two bikes at once and I really really like the Buell and don't want to give it up, and this CB, especially after I put some time and effort into it, will never be given up...this is how it starts, isn't it? This is why I worked OT until 11 on a Sunday night for parts money, and why I'll be too busy to bother taking a girl out for a second date, and why I can't wait to go to Sears for some new tools. I love it and hope you all do too.

Ah yes. Running out and spending the paycheck on more goodies and then staying up all night cursing and trying to get those "custom goodies made especially for my bike" to actually fit. Smells like the 70s.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. But as you get time on the CB750 and compare it to the Buell you'll see very quickly that the two are worlds apart in handling, braking and power. Old bikes are fun for many things but the suspensions and brakes are 70s era and the bikes are heavy. Make sure you wear the right attitude when on the "boat anchor".

Nice ride though. The SOHC CBs are gaining in collector interest.

longride 02-22-2010 07:50 AM

Motorcycles are all about having fun Triple. Regardless of what others think, if you are having fun with the CB then nothing and nobody else matters. It's a cool bike that you can learn as you go and ride it around before you even start. The price was right too. I'm sure you will have a blast with it.

pushrod 02-22-2010 10:23 AM

TR,

Two things -

Don't use 'steel' wool! Use stainless or brass wool. The 'steel' wool will contaminate the work surface, and then corrode.

Brakes. The CB doesn't have any to speak of. Be VERY careful when you ride it after the Buell, cause it won't stop.

Of course, you'll need to exercise caution when riding the Buell after the CB, 'cause you'll tend to 'overbrake' a bit.