Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
sakinoko
Registered Member

Talking New bike, for a new rider... (Long version)

Hey folks, (Apologize in advance at the length... Will do so again several times along the way :P)

I have a question for all the experienced sportbike riders out there. I need input as I'm caught in a dilemma. As this is my first post I'll give you a brief introduction to help with responses. I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 10 years old (currently 2, and have finally been fortunate enough to get into a situation where I can afford a shiny new bike of my choosing. Now I know how most will respond to this...

"Start on a 600ish bike so you can get use to the feel of riding on asphalt and on a heavier fuller bike as opposed to the stripped down, knobby, sliding on dirt and hitting jumps you might be use to on the dirtbike. Then once you've mastered it move up to a bigger toy if you feel the need."

Which I will admit is great advice, I am an experienced, safe, and (I like to think) smart rider, and I intend fully to start slow, master it and work my way up... HOWEVER.... I'm a big guy, 2XL Frame, broad shoulders, the works, I sit trim at 6'0 235lbs... not ripped with muscle, im talking a good walking everyday normal weight... So I feel more comfortable with the bigger bikes (though I haven't matured enough as a rider to want a cruiser :P). I also know how quickly I pick up things, and how quickly I wish to move up once I've mastered them. This causes an issue where if I bought a nice 650 "beginner" bike, I'd be ready to trade up for a larger bike in a year, or maybe even 2 at which point the bike will only be half paid for. In order to prevent this my intention is to buy a bike that I will "grow" into. One thing I learned in my years of riding is that the bike will only go as fast as you let it, even with a monster 1300+cc engine if you don't twist your wrist it don't go.

Soooooo With all that said, I intend to buy one of the 3 bikes listed below, however since test driving bikes is only possible if you have good (trusting) friends that own one to let you ride, I can only go off what I see on paper and how I fit in the seat. So I'd appreciate any feedback (aside from the "you should start smaller" kind) that people could give on riding experiences, good, bad, ugly about the 3 bikes. I don't expect what is said here will outright make up my mind, but I like to get as much information as I can before making a decision on a large purchase like this. So please any useful feedback to help in my decision would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all and I apologize for the novel.

Ask questions if you need more info, I'll check here regularly as I'm really looking to make the best decision I can make and am eager to hear what you all have to say...I am equally torn between;

Suzuki's GSX-R 1000 - Sexy, good reputation, good all around quality.

Honda's CBR1000RR - Sexier, said to be easier to handle, quality.
and
Kawasaki's ZX-14 - Slightly less sexy, most comfortable, travel able.

Thanks guys and gals.
-Saki
sakinoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Buy a good Life Insurance Policy. You'll need it.

The power-delivery of your typical Liter+ bike is such that, if you hamfist it a bit - you're gonna wear it like a hat.

Second: the "size" of the bike has little to do with displacement. Compact. Light. That's what the manufacturers have been striving for. The ZX-14 is a bit bigger than the other two, but not necessarily better.

Your first foray onto asphalt should not be astride any of those motorcycles.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Words fail me.

I was reading along, thinking the guy was rational. Then I got to the list of bikes.

C'mon - which of you guys came up with a new username just to troll?

Oh well. Assuming for a moment that you are serious -

Dude, you've picked three of the worst choices you could. You left off the R1, and the Duck 1048. And the M/V F4. Oh, and a F-16, a F/A-22 Raptor and of course the F/A-18 (but they get really crappy mileage).

My suggestion is a Tiger. 955i or 1050. The 1050 is a very nice bike, and will do more than you will ever try. They define "linear power delivery."

They don't make an extended swingarm for them, though.

Jeeezus.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you're six feet tall and 235 lbs., you're not all that big of a guy as far as motorcycles go. You also shouldn't get any of those bikes; I second the life insurance policy note above.

Riding on the street is different than riding in the dirt, especially in terms of what you need to pay attention to and what you need to gain experience with. And the cost of an insurance policy on those bikes you mention is also up there. If you just got your M-class license, you won't even be able to get insurance on a sportbike from some insurance companies.

Yeah, I know ... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I sincerely hope you wise up and don't end up in a casket.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Every year we get this question. It always leads to a debate or "spirited discussion" as to whether new road riders should ride superbikes. The answer is "no, you should not buy a superbike" (1000cc bike) . Sorry, that's just the way it is. If you don't want to hear that, go somewhere else.

If you are a bigger guy, go for a naked standard. Try the Ducati Monster S2R -- plenty of power, Italian coolness in spades, and plenty of handling prowess to intimidate squids on the track. Try a Buell XB9R, which is decent sized for bigger guys (all the Buells are -- and don't even think about the 1125 bikes). Try a Triumph Street Triple.

Heck, spend that money going to the gym. I hear P90X works pretty good.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Am I allowed to 3rd this motion? Your looking at the tops in power and performance as your first street bike. Thats like giving a kid with go cart experience a Lamborghini for his first car. Your making a very bad decision. I woldnt consider going over 1000 cc unless it was an 1100 or 1200 cruiser, and managing the weight of a 1200 cruiser is more work then you'r expecting. Good luck and please stay behind me.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Good luck and please stay behind me.
Actually, you're better off with him in front of you. That way, when he whacks that throttle wide open, you're out of the way of a missle with no direction. You (any rider) can always control the situation when they are behind subject ___________ (insert your noun here, e.g. "Q-tip").
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
...This causes an issue where if I bought a nice 650 "beginner" bike, I'd be ready to trade up for a larger bike in a year, or maybe even 2 at which point the bike will only be half paid for. -Saki

Start with a used lightweight/middleweight bike. Look for a good enough deal that you can sell it in a year or two without taking a loss (assuming it is in the same condition as when you bought it). That way you can get experience and when you are ready to move up to that literbike, you won't be losing much money on the old bike.

Last edited by silentgrayfellow : 02-18-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: fixed quote
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Actually, you're better off with him in front of you. That way, when he whacks that throttle wide open, you're out of the way of a missle with no direction. You (any rider) can always control the situation when they are behind subject ___________ (insert your noun here, e.g. "Q-tip").
I nearly got my clock cleaned from behind by some chick on a 1200 Sportster - because of "that damned front brake" she had. Luckily, I happened to notice the flash of her headlight waving back and forth in the mirror, and have good-enough reflexes and the instinct to process that "somethin' ain't right" behind me, and took evasive action without the need to actually look and see.

BTW: The bytche wasn't "On the brake" when the blat from her exhaust nearly deafened me as she careened-past and nearly into the trunk of the car about 60' in front of me.

Multiple incidents like this are the primary reason I no-longer ride with "bikers" - and has little to do with their attitude toward me an' "my Japcrap crotchrocket POS". Although the Halloween Costumes certainly don't help any, either.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-18-2010 at 07:21 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Me & a friend were side by side at a light but in separate lanes and a 3rd guy came up on a CBR & did an indo between us (on the line, too bad he diddnt slip), then when the other direction light turned yellow, he started his burnout until ours was green & he was gone. Why diddnt he just run the light?