Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #41
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
My insurance agent lists a sportbike with a driver under 21 @ $6000 per year.
Well, at least it's come down (proportionally) since then. That's only about half the cost of a new ZX-10.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #42
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Default

When I had my 89GSXR750 the insurance exceeded the entire cost of the motorcycle within two years.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #43
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member
 
silentgrayfellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
...all it gets is a slight chuckle from me and reminds me why telling people I'm a new (to the street) rider is a bad idea since some cant seem to believe that there are such things as responsible new riders.
Thanks again folks,
-Saki
Responsible new riders don't start out on 1000cc sportbikes.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentgrayfellow View Post
Responsible new riders don't start out on 1000cc sportbikes.
Being responsible is only half the battle. The other half is actually having some riding skills. No new rider needs a 1000cc sportbike to contend with while trying to learn. it's like learning to fly in a F-16 jet. Doesn't work.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #45
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Being responsible is only half the battle. The other half is actually having some riding skills. No new rider needs a 1000cc sportbike to contend with while trying to learn. it's like learning to fly in a F-16 jet. Doesn't work.
Didn't you read his post? He said he knows it will only go as fast as his right wrist, and he takes it seriously. So, what's the problem?

__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Didn't you read his post? He said he knows it will only go as fast as his right wrist, and he takes it seriously. So, what's the problem?
You tried to learn on a GSXR1000? Are you serious? Why do you think the insurance is so high? Ever been to a motorcycle junkyard and seen the wrecked race replicas lined up? Those bikes are too much for many experienced riders, much less a newbie.

BTW. Dr Pulley, have you gotten a ride on a Street Triple yet? It may "only" be a 675 but it's not like any of the 600RRs. The throttle is very abrupt and it is very easy to wheelie. Might not be a good learner bike. Would be a good second bike for an experienced USAF doctor, though.

Triples rule.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-22-2010 at 06:43 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #47
sakinoko
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Your dirt bike experience is invaluable to street riding and you seem like a level headed guy, I'd still start out with something a little tamer than a liter class sportbike though. Try a Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom or Triumph Tiger, maybe an FZ1 or 1250 Bandit, the new Kawasaki 1000 is also an excellent choice. The riding positions on those are more conducive to controlling the bike in traffic and street riding in general and are capable of pretty impressive performance without the sportbike cramped ergo's. Insurance will be less too.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into these bikes. Though some are harsh and others more understanding I do take what everyone is saying into consideration. I have been battling long and hard with myself trying to decide if 'everyone' really knows and my own personal feelings that you guys are just overprotective moms lol... On the one hand EVERYONE says it is massively impossible to learn on a sport bike, and that my dirt bike experience is useless.... On the other hand my logical thinking tells me... You've upgraded on dirt bikes over the last 10 years, and one thing you've learned is a bike is a bike is a bike.... No matter what the basics were all there... braking, throttle control, clutch control, shifting, balance... The only difference in each upgrade was more power and more weight... This as you say is different as cars are involved... not to mention counter steering... However I have a very hard time coming to terms with the fact that riding a 200 is so incredibly different from a 1000 that it means sudden death or as Moke said maybe not death, but world of hurt... No if's ands or buts.... It is hard to accept that NOONE who's every started with a streetbike has been successful... It may be true, however it just seems very unlikely. As I said though I am very torn on taking the advice of NUMEROUS experienced riders over my own logical processes.... Can this many people really be wrong? And if they were why would they be? Because they are over protective? Because they've seen too many noobs make too many mistakes that all new riders are thrust into the same category as them? I'm not really sure, but keep the advice coming and I'll do my best to take what I should from it and make the.... well I wont say right decision cause it doesn't feel right to me, but appropriate decision. Thanks a lot guys for your support, information, and continued overall *****ing :P

-Saki
sakinoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #48
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You tried to learn on a GSXR1000? Are you serious? Why do you think the insurance is so high? Ever been to a motorcycle junkyard and seen the wrecked race replicas lined up? Those bikes are too much for many experienced riders, much less a newbie.

BTW. Dr Pulley, have you gotten a ride on a Street Triple yet? It may "only" be a 675 but it's not like any of the 600RRs. The throttle is very abrupt and it is very easy to wheelie. Might not be a good learner bike. Would be a good second bike for an experienced USAF doctor, though.

Triples rule.
I feel ya. I know what you're saying. Problem is, this guy thinks he's different than everyone else. In fact, he is just like everyone else who think they can control a liter bike as their first bike.

I haven't ridden the new Street Triple, but I'd love to. That bike kicks arse! When I went to get my new bike, the girl at the Kawasaki store was trying to sell me on that old "it's not the bike it's the rider" line, and trying to get me to buy the Ninja 14. I had to pass (even though she was super-hot).
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I feel ya. I know what you're saying. Problem is, this guy thinks he's different than everyone else. In fact, he is just like everyone else who think they can control a liter bike as their first bike.

I haven't ridden the new Street Triple, but I'd love to. That bike kicks arse! When I went to get my new bike, the girl at the Kawasaki store was trying to sell me on that old "it's not the bike it's the rider" line, and trying to get me to buy the Ninja 14. I had to pass (even though she was super-hot).
Leave your libido at home when you buy a bike Pulley. I'd rather have the 14 anyway even if she wasn't hot.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into these bikes. Though some are harsh and others more understanding I do take what everyone is saying into consideration. I have been battling long and hard with myself trying to decide if 'everyone' really knows and my own personal feelings that you guys are just overprotective moms lol... On the one hand EVERYONE says it is massively impossible to learn on a sport bike, and that my dirt bike experience is useless.... On the other hand my logical thinking tells me... You've upgraded on dirt bikes over the last 10 years, and one thing you've learned is a bike is a bike is a bike.... No matter what the basics were all there... braking, throttle control, clutch control, shifting, balance... The only difference in each upgrade was more power and more weight... This as you say is different as cars are involved... not to mention counter steering... However I have a very hard time coming to terms with the fact that riding a 200 is so incredibly different from a 1000 that it means sudden death or as Moke said maybe not death, but world of hurt... No if's ands or buts.... It is hard to accept that NOONE who's every started with a streetbike has been successful... It may be true, however it just seems very unlikely. As I said though I am very torn on taking the advice of NUMEROUS experienced riders over my own logical processes.... Can this many people really be wrong? And if they were why would they be? Because they are over protective? Because they've seen too many noobs make too many mistakes that all new riders are thrust into the same category as them? I'm not really sure, but keep the advice coming and I'll do my best to take what I should from it and make the.... well I wont say right decision cause it doesn't feel right to me, but appropriate decision. Thanks a lot guys for your support, information, and continued overall *****ing :P

-Saki
No one is saying it's impossible. Many people do learn that way and live. It's just a lot to learn to handle a bike that twitchy and powerful while also learning the entire new skill set of riding in traffic. The sky high insurance rates are a clue. Also your physical size will make most sport bikes a very uncomfortable proposition. Understand that you can read stories about people killing themselves on a GSXR-1000 in a parking lot. They accelerate that quickly. Learning to ride on one of those is akin to learning to fly in a P-51. Can be done. But you'd lose a lot of pilots. Your dirt experience does put you way ahead of a total neophyte.

At least try sitting on the bikes you are thinking about for a substantial period of time. Decide if they will be even close to comfortable enough. Whatever you get be sure to spend a lot of your early riding on Sunday mornings and in time and places where there is little or no traffic. First you have to learn to handle the bike. Then you have to deal with the cagers. Trying to learn both simultaneously is not a good idea.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off