Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member

My bike ownership went from 2 years on a rebel 250, to a vulcan 800 I had & ran for 15 years & never found boring. If your bored riding you dont need a bigger bike, maybe riding isnt your thing? I now have a Tour Deluxe I got this past year & only gave up the 800 wanting more room for traveling. If it were practical I would've kept the 800 for commuting & use the Star for day trips or longer.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #22
sakinoko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
Saki, since you seem to be on a budget, it's going to be very high comedy indeed when you try to get insurance for any of the bikes you are thinking about. Looked into that yet?
Indeed I have looked into insurance on each of the bikes listed, and the most expensive came out to $165 a month. You'd be surprised at what USAA can get you through Progressive for good coverage on a wide range of bikes and cars .

As for the other responses I want to thank you guys for giving me some feedback, and as always letting me know the risks I run. I am aware of them and promise I will be the best and safest rider I can be... not that it might mean much to online strangers, but I sincerely plan to take every precaution I can to ensure I am a safe and happy rider. And I will be in full gear which I've already purchased, and will abide by the laws... In other words I dont plan on becoming a squid, thanks again to all for your concern, help, advice, feedback, etc. I hope to see some of you on the road in a few years when I'm still alive and kicking just to say I told ya so lol
Thanks guys and ride safe,
-Saki
sakinoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
Indeed I have looked into insurance on each of the bikes listed, and the most expensive came out to $165 a month. You'd be surprised at what USAA can get you through Progressive for good coverage on a wide range of bikes and cars .

As for the other responses I want to thank you guys for giving me some feedback, and as always letting me know the risks I run. I am aware of them and promise I will be the best and safest rider I can be... not that it might mean much to online strangers, but I sincerely plan to take every precaution I can to ensure I am a safe and happy rider. And I will be in full gear which I've already purchased, and will abide by the laws... In other words I dont plan on becoming a squid, thanks again to all for your concern, help, advice, feedback, etc. I hope to see some of you on the road in a few years when I'm still alive and kicking just to say I told ya so lol
Thanks guys and ride safe,
-Saki
$165 a month. I pay less than that a year for a performance bike. You said you were on a budget? What kind of "budget"? LOL!

Trust me, buy a GSXR-1000 and your good driving record will disappear like tears in the rain.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Your dirt bike experience is invaluable to street riding and you seem like a level headed guy, I'd still start out with something a little tamer than a liter class sportbike though. Try a Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom or Triumph Tiger, maybe an FZ1 or 1250 Bandit, the new Kawasaki 1000 is also an excellent choice. The riding positions on those are more conducive to controlling the bike in traffic and street riding in general and are capable of pretty impressive performance without the sportbike cramped ergo's. Insurance will be less too.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Your dirt bike experience is invaluable to street riding and you seem like a level headed guy, I'd still start out with something a little tamer than a liter class sportbike though. Try a Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom or Triumph Tiger, maybe an FZ1 or 1250 Bandit, the new Kawasaki 1000 is also an excellent choice. The riding positions on those are more conducive to controlling the bike in traffic and street riding in general and are capable of pretty impressive performance without the sportbike cramped ergo's. Insurance will be less too.
Why don't you recommend a Speed Triple, too? Something "reasonable". LOL!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The guy wants a ZX14 as a starter bike, a Speed Triple may be too much for him LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Love these types,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
Hey folks, (Apologize in advance at the length... Will do so again several times along the way :P)

I have a question for all the experienced sportbike riders out there. I need input as I'm caught in a dilemma. As this is my first post I'll give you a brief introduction to help with responses. I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 10 years old (currently 2, and have finally been fortunate enough to get into a situation where I can afford a shiny new bike of my choosing. Now I know how most will respond to this...

"Start on a 600ish bike so you can get use to the feel of riding on asphalt and on a heavier fuller bike as opposed to the stripped down, knobby, sliding on dirt and hitting jumps you might be use to on the dirtbike. Then once you've mastered it move up to a bigger toy if you feel the need."

Which I will admit is great advice, I am an experienced, safe, and (I like to think) smart rider, and I intend fully to start slow, master it and work my way up... HOWEVER.... I'm a big guy, 2XL Frame, broad shoulders, the works, I sit trim at 6'0 235lbs... not ripped with muscle, im talking a good walking everyday normal weight... So I feel more comfortable with the bigger bikes (though I haven't matured enough as a rider to want a cruiser :P). I also know how quickly I pick up things, and how quickly I wish to move up once I've mastered them. This causes an issue where if I bought a nice 650 "beginner" bike, I'd be ready to trade up for a larger bike in a year, or maybe even 2 at which point the bike will only be half paid for. In order to prevent this my intention is to buy a bike that I will "grow" into. One thing I learned in my years of riding is that the bike will only go as fast as you let it, even with a monster 1300+cc engine if you don't twist your wrist it don't go.

Soooooo With all that said, I intend to buy one of the 3 bikes listed below, however since test driving bikes is only possible if you have good (trusting) friends that own one to let you ride, I can only go off what I see on paper and how I fit in the seat. So I'd appreciate any feedback (aside from the "you should start smaller" kind) that people could give on riding experiences, good, bad, ugly about the 3 bikes. I don't expect what is said here will outright make up my mind, but I like to get as much information as I can before making a decision on a large purchase like this. So please any useful feedback to help in my decision would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all and I apologize for the novel.

Ask questions if you need more info, I'll check here regularly as I'm really looking to make the best decision I can make and am eager to hear what you all have to say...I am equally torn between;

Suzuki's GSX-R 1000 - Sexy, good reputation, good all around quality.

Honda's CBR1000RR - Sexier, said to be easier to handle, quality.
and
Kawasaki's ZX-14 - Slightly less sexy, most comfortable, travel able.

Thanks guys and gals.
-Saki
Ok, first things first I currently own a 2006GSXR600 and a 2007GSXR1000. I have sold bikes for 5years and before that I was motorcycle technician for 13years. I have talked riders down to purchasing a smaller bike every day. It never mattered if they were new riders or 2yrs experienced. You do not gage your purchase on your stats, its not a car. You purchse based on skill level, you have dirt experience and thats great, how many times you avoided a old lady in a Lincoln Mercury on the dirt? Its a little bit different.

Also you keep saying you want to "grow into it" Thats like the Golden Rule you never grow into a bike, you want to ideally grow out of it. I would think you of all people would know this from riding dirt? Never ever bite off more than you can chew. Also you keep saying your going to be a safe rider, thats great but that doesnt save you at all. Never think because your riding safe that its going to some how save you. Its not you that determines that, it's all the cars out there and how skilled and experienced you are at avoiding them.

Someone said earlier that its when you have to avoid someone in a turn or on the brakes that gets ya, and they are absolutely correct.

Think about this analogy the bike has a 100% your skill level is say 30%
do think thats safe? Let me tell ya brother even when your skill level matches said bike,...its still no gaurantee you wont get your clock cleaned, trust me Iv been there- and with my racing experience I probably have layed down more bikes on the street and racetrack than most here.

Riding a motorcycle is a progression taken in little steps. If you try to skip over those steps(which are only learned by starting small) you will one day get hurt, doesnt mean you'll die but mark my words sooner or later you will go down. Now what do you want to know about your choices?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Riding a motorcycle is a progression taken in little steps. If you try to skip over those steps(which are only learned by starting small) you will one day get hurt, doesnt mean you'll die but mark my words sooner or later you will go down. Now what do you want to know about your choices?"

When ya gonna teach me to ride MOKE??
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I couldnt possibly teach you anything,... you already know everything!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I couldnt possibly teach you anything,... you already know everything!
DingDingDingDing-Ding! We have a Winner!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote