Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Me & a friend were side by side at a light but in separate lanes and a 3rd guy came up on a CBR & did an indo between us (on the line, too bad he diddnt slip), then when the other direction light turned yellow, he started his burnout until ours was green & he was gone. Why diddnt he just run the light?
He wouldn't have had the opportunity to show you his Mad Skilz, Yo!

It's just like every F'n V-6 Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, or Toyota Camry driver has to try and demonstrate their "superiority" to my Bullitt (which resembles not-only a V-6 'Stang, but a stripped down V-6 'Stang). Every now and again, I don't ignore them; though they wish I had after the stoplight-beatdown they suffer......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-18-2010 at 08:04 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
He wouldn't have had the opportunity to show you his Mad Skilz, Yo!

It's just like every F'n V-6 Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, or Toyota Camry driver has to try and demonstrate their "superiority" to my Bullitt (which resembles not-only a V-6 'Stang, but a stripped down V-6 'Stang). Every now and again, I don't ignore them; though they wish I had after the stoplight-beatdown they suffer......
Hawk, you should check out Adam Carrola's podcast, Carcast. I've always liked that guy, but only recently found out he's a complete freakin' gearhead. He's got a collection any man would drool over. And it's hard to hate on him since he made his living for a long time as a carpenter. Anyway, he and his buddy host it and they constantly make fun of the posers with their spoilers and such. Good times. Btw, I've seen the pics of your Bullit and it is tasty.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
TheCycleGuy
Registered Member

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in because I don't think there can be too many people telling you those 3 bikes are a baaaaaaad idea. Once you've mastered the performance of a modern 600 (few people can) then its time to move onto a bigger bike. Reign in your ego. A good rider on an SV650 can, at the track of course, whoop lesser riders on liter bikes in the corners. One of my favorite lines from a motorcycle mag: "Any gomer can twist a throttle".
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #14
sakinoko
Registered Member

A lot of interesting replies, not one with useful insight into the bikes listed, but definitely a lot of concerned riders. I understand the risks I take by opting into a larger bike as a first choice, and I also have been working on finding a nice used bike to use as a beginner machine that can be paid off quickly and give me something in return when I go for a bigger machine. Sadly I am of the "I dont make enough to buy a new bike every 2 years" variety and fully intend to have my first purchased bike for (at least) 4 - 5 years. That is why I ask for a bike I can grow into.

pushrod I appreciate the bike suggestions and will look into them, but as I plan to have it for 4-5 years I want a bike that I'll not only want a functional one that I will enjoy riding for that long, but also one I will enjoy being seen on when I can handle a super or "hyper" bike like the ones listed. I don't really know what you mean by a new account to troll, but I figure you mean I'm just bull****ting to get you guys talking, and I assure you I am being sincere.

I guess I only post this reply in the hopes that someone can give me real rider testimonials on the bikes I listed now that you know I am seriously considering those three as my top picks at the moment. I dont plan on buying the bike until April and I will be sure and ride my friends GSX650F as much as possible from now till then, but I plan on riding safe and smart and not ending up a statistic or "law maker".

If you feel that it's too heavy on your conscious to give me feedback on the bikes I have listed, that if I did die on one of them and it happens to be the one you said "I really enjoyed my rides on the GSXR1000" then I will not hold it against you to not reply... But to tell me that I'm going to kill myself and I'm an idiot is hardly what I'd call useful feedback so please don't waste your time typing it :P as all it gets is a slight chuckle from me and reminds me why telling people I'm a new (to the street) rider is a bad idea since some cant seem to believe that there are such things as responsible new riders.
Thanks again folks,
-Saki
sakinoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
sakinoko
Registered Member

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention, I have been riding my friends 650 for the past 6 months and am quite bored on it, perhaps a detuned 1000 would make the masses happier, but I have yet to find one I really enjoy (looking at at least since no test ride.....) If you cant condone giving feedback on the ones listed, I would also be happy to receive suggestions on some alternatives that aren't detuned 600s... I am not trying to impress people or race or stunt as it seems some have come to the conclusion of, I'm just trying to find a nice bike that is fun, has power, and ISNT a cruiser. Suggestions anyone? Also Buell is not my idea of a sexy bike... And most of the bikes pushrod suggested are QUITE pricey... I'm looking to stay at or under $11,000.
sakinoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention, I have been riding my friends 650 for the past 6 months and am quite bored on it, perhaps a detuned 1000 would make the masses happier, but I have yet to find one I really enjoy (looking at at least since no test ride.....) If you cant condone giving feedback on the ones listed, I would also be happy to receive suggestions on some alternatives that aren't detuned 600s... I am not trying to impress people or race or stunt as it seems some have come to the conclusion of, I'm just trying to find a nice bike that is fun, has power, and ISNT a cruiser. Suggestions anyone? Also Buell is not my idea of a sexy bike... And most of the bikes pushrod suggested are QUITE pricey... I'm looking to stay at or under $11,000.
Any modern Japanese bike won't have any reliability issues to speak of so you could choose by pulling a number out of a hat, really. Just try to get test rides on the bikes you like. Private parties reselling their bikes normally let you test them out. Try the local ads.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

sakinoko,

The 'useful input' is - DON'T BUY ANY OF THE BIKES YOU LISTED!

Unless you have an extremely disciplined right wrist, all three will kill you in very short order.

Mind, no one has ever been killed going too fast. It was the inability to stop or turn in time that got them.

The two sportbikes you listed are excellent machines, as is the R1 and ZX-10. None are any good at all for someone of your height for more than maybe a half-hour at a time.

The ZX-14 (and the Hayabusa) are the freight trains. Big and scary fast. Not as nimble as the sportbikes. Much better ergonomics and more suited for longer stays in the seat.

All the above should come with an asbestos wallet to put your Driver's License in. Ask LongRide. He had to get rid of his 'Busa.

Go look at the Tiger. There are almost always used ones for sale, and $7K will buy you a very nice one. They are as much fun as a basket full of puppies; will do darn near anything, and you can hang hard bags on them. Or, you may prefer the Sprint, which is basically the same motor, but in a Sport Touring design. The Speed Triple has the same motor (sorta), but it will destroy your DL very quickly.

Yes, they are over a liter of displacement, but the Triple gives them a very 'controllable' powerband.

How about the 'standards'? The FZ-1 has been a very good bike, too. And the ZRX and Z bikes from Kawasaki.

Bottom line is, figure out what kind of riding you want to do, and then find the bike that can do it. Most bikes nowadays are very reliable, so go forth and see what's out there!

By the way - DON'T BUY ANY OF THE BIKES YOU LISTED!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Saki, since you seem to be on a budget, it's going to be very high comedy indeed when you try to get insurance for any of the bikes you are thinking about. Looked into that yet?
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinoko View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention, I have been riding my friends 650 for the past 6 months and am quite bored on it
I'm assuming you've been riding an SV or Ninja 650 - if you're "bored with it", you're doing something wrong, and have a vastly over-inflated opinion of your own skills, or the only place you ride it is a Dragstrip or from bar to bar.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You can't compare a GSX650F to any of the bikes you listed. You can't even compare it to a 600cc version of the bikes you listed. Riding your friend's 650 on the street will get you more street experience, which is great. But that still doesn't get you ready for any of those bikes you mentioned.

One thing you should look into is track days. Ride a sportbike at the track, and get some pointers from an instructor. That'll give you experience and also alleviate your boredom. Don't be a squid: squid - Wiktionary
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote