Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Honda NT700V vs. Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14446-2010-honda-nt700v-vs-aprilia-mana-850-gt-abs.html)

Administrator 02-18-2010 10:40 AM

2010 Honda NT700V vs. Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

Original Article:
2010 Honda NT700V vs. Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Honda NT700V vs. Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

TheCycleGuy 02-18-2010 11:40 AM

I really hope the NT700 sells as well in the US as it does in Europe. Although maybe a bit soul-less, its a good looking, comfortable, good-handling and extremely practical bike for commuting and touring. I want one.

Kevin_Duke 02-18-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCycleGuy (Post 234909)
I really hope the NT700 sells as well in the US as it does in Europe. Although maybe a bit soul-less, its a good looking, comfortable, good-handling and extremely practical bike for commuting and touring. I want one.

Yeah, neither of these bikes really get the adrenaline flowing, but they are both really competent at being convenient motorcycles. A ZX-10R rider will be totally underwhelmed, but a bike courier might have found perfection.

rickyfrost 02-18-2010 01:44 PM

Missed one?

Wouldn't the BMW F800ST be a perfect candidate for the "Sport Touring lite" category? How come it wasn't included?

Kenneth_Moore 02-18-2010 01:52 PM

How does the Mana accomplish it's automatic transmission, is it a CVT type with the variable pulleys and belt? Are the "shifts" preset points on the pulleys?

I love the photo of the two bikes from the front. One of the few things I don't like about my Vee is how far the Givi bags stick out. It's got a fatass for sure. The good thing is that they keep me from splitting lanes, which is illegal here anyway.

The Deauville sure looks like a big scooter in the photos. I'll have to check it out in person at the Honda tent in Daytona.

Dr_Sprocket 02-18-2010 03:30 PM

At first, I was wondering what you were thinking comparing these two bikes. Then, the more I read and the more I saw the photos of the bikes side-by-side, I thought it really was a close comparison. Good job. While I understand the utilitarian nature of the Deauville, its looks totally turn me off. She may be good at everything, but d@mn she's ugly. I would have to opt for the Aprilia. Then again, I've always liked a gal with a little junk in the trunk!

Nice write-up, guys!

Kevin_Duke 02-18-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyfrost (Post 234927)
Wouldn't the BMW F800ST be a perfect candidate for the "Sport Touring lite" category? How come it wasn't included?

Depends on your definition of "lite." Also, the ST costs $2500-plus more than these milder tour-lite designs. Finally, its 80 hp at the wheel vs 54 firmly places it in another niche class above the one written about here.

Allow me to share a short version of the shootout you describe: "If performance (engine and chassis) are important to you, the F800ST is the clear winner."

Read about the F800ST compared to the VFR800 here: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2008-middleweight-sporttouring-shootout-bmw-f800st-vs-honda-vfr800-interceptor-86719.html

acecycleins 02-18-2010 03:46 PM

Seems like the NT is the clear winner. I wonder if any moto rag hack has mentioned what a wonderful idea it would be if they dropped a FI SuperHawk motor into the frame. That would surely make things more interesting.

The_AirHawk 02-18-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 234937)
Seems like the NT is the clear winner. I wonder if any moto rag hack has mentioned what a wonderful idea it would be if they dropped a FI SuperHawk motor into the frame. That would surely make things more interesting.

90-degree V-twin vs. 52-degree V-twin: there might be "fitment issues". Also, the SuperHawk engine is a good-bit wider.

Not that the idea is without merit - just hard to do and keep the bike the "same".

TwoTwenty 02-18-2010 04:38 PM

I dunno. 10K + seems kinda steep for a ride with <60 hp. 2 up with baggage wouldn't be much fun.