Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
emag
Registered Member

Thank you for all the insightful comments and suggestions. Seems like a smart choice to look for a similar styled used bike as that will be better to drop than one with brand new paint. I imagine it will also prepare me to truly see what I like and don't like in a bike. I am, however, still interested in comments as they pertain to the following points. Just trying to understand more.
  • Is a 450 to small for me (6'1 & 175lbs)? Here's one I found this morning.
  • Why do some bikes have the same tire size? I notice a number of the military bikes do. Is there a reason? What are the pros and cons? And, am I odd for liking them.

Peace,
- emag
emag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Displacement alone isn't the issue. A single cylinder might not be able to drag you down the highway, but a twin or triple of I-4 of the same size might.

One of the best bikes, period, is the Suzuki SV-650. Not the 'S' version (hard on the wrists). It has great manners, looks good, a bazillion of them sold, plenty of usable power.

You should be able to find one cheap (not $1200) and be able to sell it in a year or so for about the same money.

Regarding the bike you found - An '83 is quite old, and parts availability may be a problem. I'd wait for an expert to weigh in...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Is a 450 too small for you? No.

I'm assuming that with military bikes, one tire size means easier inventory maintenance. However, front tires are used for turning/handling, and back tires are used for traction.

That bike looks like an okay deal to me; it's got a recent tune-up, new tires and brakes. Parts might be an issue if it breaks down, but you're only risking $1200. If it's reliable and lasts you even just a couple of years, what's not to like?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I agree on tire size is just for inventory, and a spare tire can go on either end. Off road low speed & short trips, I dont think tire size would matter much.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

The military bikes are used as DPs and so they simplify things by using the same fuel as the Humvees and tanks and by using the same agressive tires on both ends.