Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   How many of you wear Knee/Shin Armor? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14323-how-many-you-wear-knee-shin-armor.html)

jhawkinsvalrico 02-15-2010 08:57 AM

When riding with my Slider jeans I wear Icon shin and knee armor as well as Sidi Vortice boots. Had an low side off last summer while wearing a tourmaster armored riding jacket and fieldsheer mesh pants with the icon armor underneath. The gear took a beating, but saved me from some serious road rash. That off taught me the value of wearing proper riding boots. I wasn't wearing riding boots at the time and my left foot was crushed under the bike. While sliding down the road with the bike on top of my foot, the steel toe was torn off. Result = broken foot, two broken toes and some minor road rash. Worse, I couldn't ride for about 2 1/2 months. I've since bought two pair of riding boots. One pair easy to put on for local rides and the Sidi Vortices for longer rides. Also, my Alpinestar gloves saved my knuckles from serious injury. While my left foot was under the engine, my left hand was pinned under the bars. The knuckle armor was worn completely through with only the thinest piece of leather left between my knuckles and the road. Without armored gloves, I am certain that my left hand would be a mess. The best piece of gear was my Shoei helmet as when my mellon hit the road it sounded like a gunshot in my helmet. I got up from this and walked, well limped a little, away from the wreck. Oh yes, I have since put sliders on the bike which I think would have kept the bike off of my foot.

mugwump58 02-15-2010 10:55 AM

I wear stuff cause I know what happens when I don't:p . As far as shin protection I don't wear anymore than my boots. I have boots that have shin protection, heel cup and ankle armor. As far as pants think Amelda Marcos, but all have knee and hip armor.

sarnali2 02-15-2010 07:08 PM

The problem is if you use your bike to get around on it's just not practicle to go atgatt every time. If you ride for fun or commute then fine, you can gear up and off you go however if you're running to the store for a gallon of milk and some bread then you just throw on your helmet and coat if it's cold out and off you go.

mugwump58 02-16-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 234624)
The problem is if you use your bike to get around on it's just not practicle to go atgatt every time. If you ride for fun or commute then fine, you can gear up and off you go however if you're running to the store for a gallon of milk and some bread then you just throw on your helmet and coat if it's cold out and off you go.

I'll admit to grocery runs without pants on the 250. You there, stop already, I meant riding pants, geez.

longride 02-16-2010 04:46 AM

"....however if you're running to the store for a gallon of milk and some bread then you just throw on your helmet and coat if it's cold out and off you go."

Now wait just a minute ther buddy! Can't you get just as hurt running to the store as going on a longer ride? I can't believe you would do such a dastardly thing as to not wear full gear with EVERY ride. You disappoint me terribly!

Buzglyd 02-16-2010 06:18 AM

I just take the car.

sarnali2 02-16-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 234636)
"....however if you're running to the store for a gallon of milk and some bread then you just throw on your helmet and coat if it's cold out and off you go."

Now wait just a minute ther buddy! Can't you get just as hurt running to the store as going on a longer ride? I can't believe you would do such a dastardly thing as to not wear full gear with EVERY ride. You disappoint me terribly!

I'm sorry I have disappointed you, if it's any consolation you're not the first......However your concern touches me, in future I will endeavor to wear full riding gear every time I ride and I especially will not wear shorts and work boots for a quick ride when it's hot out......

seruzawa 02-16-2010 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 234647)
...and I especially will not wear shorts and work boots for a quick ride when it's hot out......

Well, if you do ride like that again be sure to warn the potential victims along your glide path.

My eyes!!

MOKE1K 02-16-2010 08:05 AM

naughty, naughty,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 234624)

What:eek: ... Seriously? Now I know you must be aware of the 5mile radius satistic?

MOKE1K 02-16-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhawkinsvalrico (Post 234572)
When riding with my Slider jeans I wear Icon shin and knee armor as well as Sidi Vortice boots. Had an low side off last summer while wearing a tourmaster armored riding jacket and fieldsheer mesh pants with the icon armor underneath. The gear took a beating, but saved me from some serious road rash. That off taught me the value of wearing proper riding boots. I wasn't wearing riding boots at the time and my left foot was crushed under the bike. While sliding down the road with the bike on top of my foot, the steel toe was torn off. Result = broken foot, two broken toes and some minor road rash. Worse, I couldn't ride for about 2 1/2 months. I've since bought two pair of riding boots. One pair easy to put on for local rides and the Sidi Vortices for longer rides. Also, my Alpinestar gloves saved my knuckles from serious injury. While my left foot was under the engine, my left hand was pinned under the bars. The knuckle armor was worn completely through with only the thinest piece of leather left between my knuckles and the road. Without armored gloves, I am certain that my left hand would be a mess. The best piece of gear was my Shoei helmet as when my mellon hit the road it sounded like a gunshot in my helmet. I got up from this and walked, well limped a little, away from the wreck. Oh yes, I have since put sliders on the bike which I think would have kept the bike off of my foot.

I would highly suggest a trackday at Jennings, your right here in Florida. You can learn in one day what cant be taught on the street in three years, think about it. I wear my Alpinestar boots always! Even to the store for milk,...Sarnali2?