Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Default ever seen one of these?

2007 GAS GAS PRO
Its a gas gas pro dirtbike.... without a seat?? Is this a common style? I watched the motorcross races the other weekend and athough they dont sit down much at least they can. On this thing you have to stand up the whole time. I've never sen anything like it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Also looks like it only holds about 1/2 gal of fuel.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

It is a common style called trials, not trails. Trials bikes are used in trials competition. Rules are simple: negotiate an obstacle course without putting your foot down. The more times you "dab", the more points are deducted. It's pretty cool. They do this in motorcycles and bicycles. The best riders (in both motorcycle and bicycle trials) are, in my opinion, the highest skilled riders in the world. Check it out on YouTube.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I do seem to remember watching (long ago) a very slow speed obstacle course, through rocky water & up a pile of boulders, seemingly impossable but most completed it, but spent alotta time sitting still balancing the bike or repositioning it in a small area. I wouldnt think you'd take a seat during that type of riding but I thought they were just on regular ol dirtbikes.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

This was posted here a couple of years ago, but here is a reprise. Some of the sickest trials riding you will ever see!

YouTube - urban and freestyle trial in Lyon
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Gas Gas sponsored a show at Daytona one year that was mind-boggling. They brought in a top Trials rider, he had a roped-off area with a large trailer in the middle. He could climb the bike straight up the side of the trailer, hop off to the truck bed, just amazing stuff. The show closer was having a couple of volunteers lay down with their legs open. The rider would zoom up at high speed, do a stoppie, spin 180, and drop the rear wheel 1/4" from the volunteer's units. Neat stuff.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Those Trials guys have mad skillz. Seriously, these guys make Jason Btritton look like a punk. There's a company that makes a killer electric kids trials bike that I want my kid to for my kid. Balance is cool when gravity doesn't get in the way.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
This was posted here a couple of years ago, but here is a reprise. Some of the sickest trials riding you will ever see!

Jason Britten needs to take some lessons from that guy.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Gas Gas sponsored a show at Daytona one year that was mind-boggling. They brought in a top Trials rider, he had a roped-off area with a large trailer in the middle. He could climb the bike straight up the side of the trailer, hop off to the truck bed, just amazing stuff. The show closer was having a couple of volunteers lay down with their legs open. The rider would zoom up at high speed, do a stoppie, spin 180, and drop the rear wheel 1/4" from the volunteer's units. Neat stuff.
Ohh hellz no. I dont want my scrotum stamped with a waffle pattern from knobby tires.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post

That is amazing having been a skateborder in my youth, I often saw "freestyle" BMX riding, always admired the skill but stayed on the board not the bike (I had a moped with a luggage rack that nicely fit my skateboard). This trials riding is like a cross between freestyle bicycle and "street running", they do alot of the same stunts, but on foot and add alot of flips, jumps & rolls. Amazing what the human body is capable of when ya get it off the couch.