Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #31
A Star Ride
Registered Member

[quote=MOKE1K;232236] I always laugh when I see someone with chrome rims on a sportbike- it shows their real agenda,...Burger Barn time.[/QUOTE

......Or velocity stacks on a big twin, how about a carbon fiber tour pack for the E. glide

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #32
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The M109R is a technologically impressive bike. Great engine, great brakes right off the GSXR, inverted forks, etc.

Unfortunately the damn thing is ugly as sin. That is a problem in this looks driven segment.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Sportiest = handling + power

Who cares how fast one can go in a straight line, if it can't turn better than a steamer? I'm with you Seru. Of course, trying to define or pick the sportiest cruiser would be difficult. I say, take them to the track or a twisty canyon road and let the Dukester at 'em.
Assuming fairly equal braking capabilities, performance is measured in power and handling. The M109R would beat a Yamaha/Star Warrior on the straights, but the Yamastar is the cruiser with the most capable handling. It would destroy an M109 at, say, Streets of Willow, if one were to take a cruiser to a racetrack. I've seen a Warrior on a track ridden by a quick rider, and he was blitzing many a sportbike pilot. As decent as a Vulc 2000 and Rocket handle, they are in a different league in regards to handling capabilities.

I'm hoping to one year see a Warrior with the stouter Roadliner/Raider motor tweaked for a little extra performance.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Problem is how many test these bikes in serious turns like the streets of Willow, maybe it's time, I think the results would impress you.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Problem is how many test these bikes in serious turns like the streets of Willow, maybe it's time, I think the results would impress you.
Sounds like fun but pointless. While it is difficult to explore the limits of a sportbike on the street, it can be safely done with the lower limits of a cruiser. Perhaps the fun to be had doing it would outweigh the pointlessness!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #36
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Pointless is sometimes very fun!

For example, I am wishing my local kart track would allow small bikes on it. I would love to mount up some streetworthy tires and have some pointless fun on it using my kid's CRF100
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #37
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Sounds like fun but pointless. While it is difficult to explore the limits of a sportbike on the street, it can be safely done with the lower limits of a cruiser. Perhaps the fun to be had doing it would outweigh the pointlessness!
Maybe I guess, but the more people know about the limits of their everyday average cruiser the better, their panic situation's might be better understood and alot more survivable with information like this.
Who knows what benefits that could bring about.

I watched my shop manager on his M109R get pushed wide in a turn to avoid a cager, went off the road into the dirt and flat tracked it sidways to recover and made it back onto the pavement,...with a passenger.

I'v seen the demographic that purchases this perticular bike, and the experience level between them is stageringly nieve.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question Who are you guys anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

For example, I am wishing my local kart track would allow small bikes on it. I would love to mount up some streetworthy tires and have some pointless fun on it using my kid's CRF100
I thought that was the whole idea to owning a motorcycle,...pointless fun.

PS. Isnt it the same with owning an aftermarket exhaust, just pointless fun? When did everyone in here get so old they forgot that.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Maybe I guess, but the more people know about the limits of their everyday average cruiser the better, their panic situation's might be better understood and alot more survivable with information like this.
Who knows what benefits that could bring about.

I watched my shop manager on his M109R get pushed wide in a turn to avoid a cager, went off the road into the dirt and flat tracked it sidways to recover and made it back onto the pavement,...with a passenger.

I'v seen the demographic that purchases this perticular bike, and the experience level between them is stageringly nieve.
Well, Americans aren't noted for restraint in such things. Not just in motorcycles either. Usually if someone needs a .38 special for self-defense he'll buy a .44magnum. I guess they think their manhood is being insulted if they are asked to use a little wisdom and restraint.

On the other hand it provides the rest of us with lots of low mileage used bikes.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #40
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Don't wish. Do! Ask about it. Maybe others have asked. Or maybe you get a few buddies together and rent the track for a day.

Some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike was racing a Honda NSR50 on kart tracks. Wish I still had that thing. Rode the piss out of it for 17 months, including a 2-hour endurance race at Streets of Willow. Got a class championship. Expenditures were limited to a minimal amount of fuel, one set of tires, one spark plug and a couple of oil changes. Saving a front-end tuck by picking it up on my knee was a semi-regular occurrence.