Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
ssmiley
Founding Member

I’m on-board with the T-Bird’s looks as well… very handsome rolling down the road (i.e., followed one 10 miles out of my way to get a proper dynamic look-see.)

Although the rear end is a little Mean Streakish, the proportions are spot on and the P-twin provides a nice symmetry. Plus, those cast wheels are catnip to former magna/sabre/madura/maxim owners.
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
We have different ideas about what "sportiest" means. I think that the SprintST is the "sportiest" Sport Tourer because it isn't a brobdingnagian exercise in weight gain like the ST1300, FRJ1300, Concours14, etc. Anarajalalalala thinks that "sportiest" means "most HP" regardless if the bike pushes 1/2 ton of curb weight or not. To me "sporty" means "able to change direction with having to throw out an anchor" and "doesn't need outriggers to keep from tipping over". Anrajalalalala thinks "sporty" means "straight line acceleration".

So, yes the smaller lighter cruisers are more "sporty" to my way of thinking. Your mileage may vary.
Sportiest = handling + power

Who cares how fast one can go in a straight line, if it can't turn better than a steamer? I'm with you Seru. Of course, trying to define or pick the sportiest cruiser would be difficult. I say, take them to the track or a twisty canyon road and let the Dukester at 'em.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #23
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Gimme a production version of that X-Wedge powered thing Jay Leno has. I guess it is not really a cruiser, but it has big bad air cooled V-Twin, and it is cool Lucky SOB. Money does buy happiness

http://www.thebikergene.com/gallery/...0SS/lenoss.jpg
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool They handle better than you think,....

Quote:
Speedmaster. 550lbs wet = 200 pound advantage over the big twins. Only 10 hp difference even in stock strangled form. No matter how much hp you get out of a Warrior or other big twin they are still 750lb honkers.

Heck the 1200 Sporty qualifies also, even with the heavier newer frame.

Guzzi 1100 California.
Aside from the Raider have you ever ridden the M109R? You can never judge a bikes handling capabilities by reading the weight off a spec sheet, you have to ride it to really appreciate how well these bikes can handle given the weights. The quick steering of the M109R would impress you around a corner, trust me just ride one.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool All right smarty pants------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Oh God forbid! I don't know how you could even doubt for a second.....I'm crushed, really.....

Since AMA racing is at such a low point I figure as long as the corners aren't too tight I should be in with a chance....Moke is going to help with the tuning so I can get the pre-requisite ka-Pow backfire on throttle closings....
You seem to have missunderstood me it's not a prerequisite to have a BIG LOUD,..."KA-POW".That's when you know its wrong. It's more of a fluttering with a small flame, which I'am sure you know ;(
Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Aside from the Raider have you ever ridden the M109R? You can never judge a bikes handling capabilities by reading the weight off a spec sheet, you have to ride it to really appreciate how well these bikes can handle given the weights. The quick steering of the M109R would impress you around a corner, trust me just ride one.
I've ridden one heck of a lot of bikes. Yes, some bikes handle their weight quite well. But they still weight 750 lbs. And I don't care for bikes that heavy no matter how well they carry their weight. But that's just me. If other people like them well go for it.

A similar example is my riding buddy's K1200 brick vs his recent acquisition of a 1050 Sprint ST. The K1200 has about 15-20 more HP and handles it's weight quite well. But the Sprint is in a completely superior league as far as handling goes IMHO. I know it's not the same thing as cruisers but it demonstrates the principle.

I'm with mscuddy in this. I think the creeping increase in bike weights is a plague. Why do bikes get heavier and heavier? One guy at work has a Marauder. Another guy bought a new C50 last year. Same engine but the C50 weighs more and is much bulkier. Why? What's the advantage or improvement?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
You seem to have missunderstood me it's not a prerequisite to have a BIG LOUD,..."KA-POW".That's when you know its wrong. It's more of a fluttering with a small flame, which I'am sure you know ;(

Just yankin' your chain pod'ner, I live for that fluttering sound. With mine it's a snap crackle pop but I know what you mean, pure wood LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #28
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
I've ridden one heck of a lot of bikes. Yes, some bikes handle their weight quite well. But they still weight 750 lbs. And I don't care for bikes that heavy no matter how well they carry their weight. But that's just me. If other people like them well go for it.

A similar example is my riding buddy's K1200 brick vs his recent acquisition of a 1050 Sprint ST. The K1200 has about 15-20 more HP and handles it's weight quite well. But the Sprint is in a completely superior league as far as handling goes IMHO. I know it's not the same thing as cruisers but it demonstrates the principle.

I'm with mscuddy in this. I think the creeping increase in bike weights is a plague. Why do bikes get heavier and heavier? One guy at work has a Marauder. Another guy bought a new C50 last year. Same engine but the C50 weighs more and is much bulkier. Why? What's the advantage or improvement?
No, no Iam with you aswell a lighter bike is always a better ride, no doubt, that I do agree with. It's what they are making 750lb bikes handle like these days thats amazing. But yes if givin the choice Iam always going to pick the lighter bike. With me it's always a fight between the performance and handling.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #29
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:

As I have said before, weight is the two-wheeler's enemy. You'd think with all today's technology and modern materials that bikes would be getting lighter and lighter (to a point).
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #30
MOKE1K
Registered Member

True, but remember they are getting much faster and more luxurious. All that chrome's got to weight something. I always laugh when I see someone with chrome rims on a sportbike- it shows their real agenda,...Burger Barn time.