Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default New Pipes.....

Finally got my D&D Police Interceptor cans today. Very nice quality, basically a straight through but only about 1.1/2 diameter, similar to stock so they keep some decent back pressure, I've knocked my share of baffles out of stock cans and the result is about the same though a little quieter owing to the more dense stock packing I imagine....

I digress....... installation was easy however I re-used the much more robust Harley clamp as opposed to the flimsy looking one that came from D&D, Harley stuff is really built to last. The pipes look good on the bike, pretty much the same dimensions as stock but with a back slash that I like and the stainless shells are polished up to a nice luster, they include a small swatch of polishing cloth too, probably Brasso.

Sound wise they are moderately louder than stock at idle but certainly within the realm of good taste and the bike settled into a nice lumpy-fast Twin Cam idle, pulling away they're throaty but with normal throttle openings still not bad. Out on the road the bike pulled smoothly with no over-lean jerkyness and a nice Harley bark over 4k rpm where they definitely open up nice.

Steady cruising at 60 or so wasn't loud or with that deep resonance you get with some cans that really mess's with my tinnitus so I'm pretty confident they'd be good all day pipes. My test ride was dark, 45 degrees and pouring down rain and all I had on was my riding jacket, jeans and work boots so my lower legs and feet got soaked then frozen in pretty short order. I was only out for 1/2 an hour or so and riding pretty sedately, still I think that's enough time for any outright negatives to crop up.

D&D's advertising claims a 7 hp and 7 lb ft of torque increase and has a dyno chart to prove it. According to the chart the torque and horsepower curve was quite linear with no dips or spikes, my own butt-dyno isn't quite so finely calibrated so I couldn't say, however the cans certainly didn't take away anything and the bike seems to pull pretty hard as usual and contrary to some peoples miss-informed opinions.

All-in-all a pretty cool set-up and for $385 shipped, not a bad price, the stainless shell is a bonus and should turn that lovely gold color over a few heat cycles. I'm looking forward to a little more lengthy ride and a little more veriaty in speeds but like I said it's cold dark and raining so we do what we can...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 01-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I hope you are testing these pipes at the racetrack, because they are for off-road use only!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You ain't sheit until you get onna these:
Concours/Voyager Cup Holder for Handlebars

But seriously: no Stage 1 type changes needed on the intake side for these? That's a good thing; seems like once you start ****ing with the factory tuning it's a never ending stream of patching, tuning, patching, tuning...

The best sounding HD I ever heard was my 72" Low Rider Shovelhead with drilled factory pipes. I found a set of NOS headers and collector; it was a 2 into 1 setup. The rear header took a bend around the points case and they crossed over at the collector. When it was drilled and the S&S re-jetted, the sound would bring tears of joy to even the most hardened HD hater.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No Ken it's a closed loop fuel injection so unless you mess with the intake side the CPU should adapt just fine to the slight decrease in exhaust back pressure. The airbox on these is close to waterproof as it is so I never make chages there, given my propensity for riding in crappy weather the stock filter and football work great.

Longride, being the self concious law abiding tax-payer that I am I merely used my engraving tool and copied all the EPA information off the stock pipes onto these in a visible location, now I can ride with confidance that I'm not violating any of our fair minded and entirely reasonable enviromental regulations.....

Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Snarli,

Did you replace the stock cans with the D&Ds, or did you already have "Off-road" tips?

Pictures?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I replaced the stock cans with the D&D's, I'd love to post pictures but I am appallingly incompetant when it comes to most computer skills. This is off their website. Pretty much what my bike looks like except for the Police on the bags..The dyno chart they use is for an '05 but it shows a pretty good curve on both the HP and TQ. I didn't notice any flat spots on this mornings ride in so I'm assuming the curves are similar on my '08

D&D Exhaust | Harley Davidson | 1995~2010 - Harley FLH/FLT - 408-14B - Police Interceptor Mufflers

Last edited by sarnali2 : 01-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ken Zeller at Evoluzione.net was recently tempting me with a nice Remus can for my BMW. It's 10 lbs lighter than stock and according to his dyno. You net a nice fat 7 hp in the midrange and you can keep the quiet baffle in.

Just what I need is to make this crazy thing faster!

Better throttle response and lighter sounds pretty nice though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Ken Zeller at Evoluzione.net was recently tempting me with a nice Remus can for my BMW. It's 10 lbs lighter than stock and according to his dyno. You net a nice fat 7 hp in the midrange and you can keep the quiet baffle in.

Everyone knows, weight is the two-wheeler's enemy.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Everyone knows, weight is the two-wheeler's enemy.
especially when I sit on it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

A buddy of mine had a Remus or Arrow, can't rmemeber which, on his K1200RS, gave it a pretty nice growl. The stock one looks like a morter or something.

I don't worry about weight myself in fact I think these are at least as heavy as the stockers, I prefer to think of it as "enhanced road-holding traction"....