Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Shinko Tires?

My Avon Storm rear tire is getting a bit worn, and I'm not real happy with the mileage I got out of it. The handling is a peach, though.

And since the LOML just got a 'new' Land Yacht for Christmas, the money is a bit tight.

The shop dude told me I should put a Shinko Raven on the bike. He said they are a pretty good tire, and a good bit cheaper than the Big Guys. Supposedly, they are either the old Yokohama motorcycle molds and formula, or the whole operation. Japanese management, Korean manufacture.

Anyhow, a perusal of the 'Net offers precious little first-hand reporting of the tires quality and performance.

Anyone have experience with the brand?

Maybe the Duke-ster will send me a set to evaluate? No curves 'round here, though.

(Cue the Flying Monkeys!)

-

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 12-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Shinko, Cheng-Shin and Kenda are all second tier tires. Basically round and black with notches in them, as a general rule they are very hard compound so they wear like iron however traction is also going to be like an iron wheel. If you don't have a lot of twisties or rain riding they'll get you down the road for cheap but I wouldn't really trust them for any serious performance riding.

Better to go to Cycle gear or M.A.W and get the best price on a pair of Pilot Roads...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I don't know about that particular model - but I've used the Shinko "Podium" on The Wife's old Ninja.

Not bad traction, the compound didn't go-away in the hot summer, it didn't feel vague or anything in the wet - but I/we never rode on them below ~65deg F or so. Better than the Avon Azarro's I had on my FZ6 for its third (fourth?) set.

They were still on the bike when I sold it - probably had 3500-4000 (mem'ry) miles on 'em, looked to have another maybe ~3000 in 'em.

My only complaint was the nylon plies would flatspot overnight, and the tire would feel a bit out-of-balance until it warmed up. Probably bumping-up the pressure 5psi would help a bit - but at the expense of grip.

Like Snarli said - second tier. Not bad tires for the money, I'd buy them again if I had a lightweight "commuter" bike.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

According to what I read Shinko tires are Yokohama tires. I've seen stuff on the sportbike forums where guys claim they are decent tires. I'm going to put a set on my ZRX1100 next spring and check them out. Since they are half-price of the Pilot Roads I think it's worth a try.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Busa guys use Shinko tires alot. Seems like they are a good drag race tire or something. I got a set for my Knuck believe it or not because they make a great Firestone baloon tire copy with the zig zag tread, and they were all of 60 bucks a tire.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There are a few negative reports on their dual sport tires at the VStrom website. Tread blocks breaking off and low mileage were the complaints I recall.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm seriously considering the brand. Especially since cornering is not a big issue around here.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Shinko is a popular Drag Race tire. Its real only value is the fact that the compound is so hard it doesnt wear out, even after excessive burn outs. Absolutely correct on the cornering ability of the tire. None, I put tremendous trust in the tires I purchase as we all do but I would make sure theres not something else out there thats comparable. Don't get suckered by the cheap price. Crash damage is always more expensive than tires.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

I have a set of Ravens on my Speed Triple. I have no complaints, but I have only ridden about 1000 miles on them, and I don't push my bikes too hard on the street.

I have heard the track compound Shinkos aren't bad, so I'd probably use them if I wanted great traction.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I have a set of Ravens on my Speed Triple. I have no complaints, but I have only ridden about 1000 miles on them, and I don't push my bikes too hard on the street.

I have heard the track compound Shinkos aren't bad, so I'd probably use them if I wanted great traction.

What did you replace with the Raven's?

Did you note any differences in ride or handling?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.