Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Shinko Tires? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14006-shinko-tires.html)

MOKE1K 01-04-2010 08:58 AM

Primarily Dunlops,... right

How big's the chicken strip?

pushrod 01-04-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 231300)

Y'know what'd be cool?

If Tomahawk made the black tire with a layer of yellow on the tread surface. As the tire wears, the black is exposed. Then, the 'chicken strip' would be the only yellow part of the tire!

What a great idea! If I must say so myself!

The_AirHawk 01-04-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 231300)

Well, as I just mounted-up an new one (this makes like set # 6 or 7 - I've lost count) it goes from one side to the other. With thos lil' "nipple" thingies all-over it. If you're askin' about the last one - probably a 1/4" or so each side - even trusting the tires, I don't ride all that hard on the street anymore. I have feathered these tires and "blued" them all the way to the edge before - in the N. GA mountains.

I'm tellin' you MOKE - they're just like the Dunlops you love so much: only cheaper. AND slightly heavier - I almost forgot that one. But you don't notice it so much on the bike. It's my understanding, Desser uses rubber-compound formulae licensed from Dunlop in their Tomahawks.

On the track, you could maybe complain about them in Competition - but for the trackday-junkie, these things are The Sh!t. It was a TD-junkie that first turned me on to these things, when I was lookin' for a cheaper commuter tire.

They're better'n the Shinkos for traction - which aren't "bad".

Desser labels what the original carcass was on each tire - usually they're 207 or 208 rears. I've seen a few Bridgestones lately, I can't recall what this last one was, I tossed the label.

MOKE1K 01-04-2010 09:48 AM

Well next time I get a chance I will try them, for you. Guess Iam very close minded when it comes to my tires. Maybe its time to revamp it a bit. Thanks Airhawk.

The_AirHawk 01-04-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 231301)
Y'know what'd be cool?

If Tomahawk made the black tire with a layer of yellow on the tread surface. As the tire wears, the black is exposed. Then, the 'chicken strip' would be the only yellow part of the tire!

What a great idea! If I must say so myself!

That'd be bichin'! Of course, then Black and Decker would have a sudden run on Belt-Sanders.................

The_AirHawk 01-04-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 231303)
Well next time I get a chance I will try them, for you. Guess Iam very close minded when it comes to my tires. Maybe its time to revamp it a bit. Thanks Airhawk.

Don't try 'em for me - if you don't like the idea of running them: don't. I just want to reassure you that if you decide to mount one up, you're not gonna die a horrible, flaming death. Well, at least you're no more likely to die a horrible, flaming death than with any OTHER brand of tire.

If you ARE a TD-junkie, you might check out their race-compounds: I've only used the "Sport" compound, but have had really good experiences with it. I can see how the race-compound really saves a guy some serious coin: some race compound tires I've seen going upward of $350+ ea.

EDIT:

Oh yeah: Although I endorse their Sport-compound "black" tires - I have no experience with the "coloured" tires. I've known a few people that have had less-than-stellar results from the coloured tires. My own opinion is that carbon-black and silica are a couple of the additives that make rubber "sticky" - you remove (or seriously cut back) those two items; you risk loss of traction right when you most need it - at the "limit". I wouldn't mount the coloured tires up if Desser gave me a set of them.

MOKE1K 01-04-2010 10:32 AM

I figured the non colored tires would have the same performance, just don't know if I could sway over in that direction, well see maybe someday.

Kenneth_Moore 01-04-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 231301)
Then, the 'chicken strip' would be the only yellow part of the tire!

Sort of a "honey-mustard" sauce for your chicken-strips? Contact Klazy Ken, he's seeking inventors who need capital for their new ideas.