Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
"retread tires" and have had exactly 1 problem that Desser corrected immediately. Tire tech has come a long damn way in the last decade - even the Chinese crap isn't "crap" anymore.
Yeah, but how many problems can you afford to have with your bike tires? A battery that fails a few months sooner than it should have, or maybe a cheap oil filter that doesn't catch the smallest of particles that a good one can are one thing, but bike tire problems usually have pretty serious consequences.

Personally, I always choose higher quality tires, the best I can find based on reading reviews and talking to friends. One lousy lowside can easily cost the price of 2 or 3 sets of tires...assuming you don't get hurt to badly. Bust an ankle or something like that in the accident and you're talking real money.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yeah, but how many problems can you afford to have with your bike tires? A battery that fails a few months sooner than it should have, or maybe a cheap oil filter that doesn't catch the smallest of particles that a good one can are one thing, but bike tire problems usually have pretty serious consequences.

Personally, I always choose higher quality tires, the best I can find based on reading reviews and talking to friends. One lousy lowside can easily cost the price of 2 or 3 sets of tires...assuming you don't get hurt to badly. Bust an ankle or something like that in the accident and you're talking real money.

Ditto....I wouldn't cheap out on tires. Bikes can be repaired or replaced but body parts never really heal.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow. Never thought me cheaping out on tires would generate this much controversy.

I've ridden many miles on Cheng Shins and Kendas. Never had a problem with them.
'
I use Kenda and "Sonoma" tires on my dirt bikes, too, and I'm a lot faster off road than on road. Nyuk, nyuk.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:

Personally, I always choose higher quality tires, the best I can find based on reading reviews and talking to friends.
Hence my post. I'm an open minded kind of guy.

Fer instance, the Bridgestone BT-10 and BT-20 the Factory put on my bike were, to be charitable, not very good at all. A Bridgestone should be a slam-dunk, right? There have been several dog Dunlop tires, in my experience. But Dunlop is a 'quality' tire maker, no?

So, the Shinko tire has my curiosity piqued. I looked at one the other day - it was round, and black, and smelled like a tire. And it is almost half the price of the 'quality' tires.

My quest for enlightenment continues...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

The "problem" was a broken belt in the base tire (something they really have zero control over, as they didn't manufacture it - a "real" tire company did) - and I've had the same thing happen with "normal" tires and it's been SOL-too-bad-so-sad-you-buy-another? I was just noting this to show that Desser stands behind their product.

While I think the "coloured" tires are sillier than Socko, if every airline on the planet uses their tires - they can't be that bad.

Seriously - If I didn't trust these tires implicitly, I wouldn't run them. Sometimes "cheaper" doesn't mean "crap".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

Fer instance, the Bridgestone BT-10 and BT-20 the Factory put on my bike were, to be charitable, not very good at all. A Bridgestone should be a slam-dunk, right? There have been several dog Dunlop tires, in my experience. But Dunlop is a 'quality' tire maker, no?

So, the Shinko tire has my curiosity piqued. I looked at one the other day - it was round, and black, and smelled like a tire. And it is almost half the price of the 'quality' tires.

Exactly.

And a few more words to satisfy the word-count Nanny.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:

It's all relative. Any tire today is light-years better than any tire 20 years ago. So we were all fools to be riding back then.

For that matter if someone is all that worried about the "best tires" then shouldn't they only buy expensive soft tires? you know, with 2-3K tread life? If someone is putting someone else down for using Shinkos then they dammed well better not be running sport-touring tires either.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:

I had a BT-016 that came with the bike, I actually got 8k miles out of it, which is good. As always the stock tires are not going to grip aswell but should yield fairly good mileage, with my experience.

I have been a Dunlop fan since 1994 when they sold their D364raceonly tire. But since have tried these new BT003 triple compounds and can't believe the wear and mileage Iam getting from them, and the grips incredible to. If I go on a twisty ride you can see it balling up on the edges- also quick heat up time.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The "Podium 008" and (IIRC) the 003 are both a more "street-like" tire tread-pattern, and more-rounded profile. It really quickened the handling of the Wife's Ninja - so much so, I felt I had to warn her about it lest she crash the bike on an inside-corner. Quite a bit like the BT14, actually. It took some getting used to for her, to be sure.

So far as the Yokohama moulds and tire tech - it's my understanding Shinko has owned that stuff now nearly half a decade - and are "improving" as they go along.

I'd say pushrod has nothing to fear from a set of these tires. On my FZ6, I'm using sport-compound Tomahawks - which are "retread tires" and have had exactly 1 problem that Desser corrected immediately. Tire tech has come a long damn way in the last decade - even the Chinese crap isn't "crap" anymore.

Tomahawks? Wow your brave. I remember when those hit the scene and the advertisment stated that it would cut your tire budget in half. They were reffering to a race budget. Once someone tested them for the track, they were immediatly tagged as a tire that would never make it on the track. Which color do you have?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Tomahawks? Wow your brave. I remember when those hit the scene and the advertisment stated that it would cut your tire budget in half. They were reffering to a race budget. Once someone tested them for the track, they were immediatly tagged as a tire that would never make it on the track. Which color do you have?
"Black", foo'! You cain't read so good?

They feel like Dunlops; (including the "stickieness") primarily because most of them ARE Dunlops...........