Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

There was a set of completely trashed Michelin Sport Pilots on the bike when I bought it. The front was so worn that every left turn pitched the bike into bar wagging fits.

That means, I really have nothing to compare the handling.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Shinko's,.....yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I have a set of Ravens on my Speed Triple. I have no complaints, but I have only ridden about 1000 miles on them, and I don't push my bikes too hard on the street.

I have heard the track compound Shinkos aren't bad, so I'd probably use them if I wanted great traction.

I don't mean to disrespect your choice, and aswell different riders require different demands for their tires. If they work for the type of riding your using them for, then great, but if your looking for better traction look somewhere else other than Shinko. Also becareful testing the limits of your current set, they are not made to corner. At all!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
The shop dude told me I should put a Shinko Raven on the bike. He said they are a pretty good tire, and a good bit cheaper than the Big Guys. Supposedly, they are either the old Yokohama motorcycle molds and formula, or the whole operation. Japanese management, Korean manufacture.

Anyhow, a perusal of the 'Net offers precious little first-hand reporting of the tires quality and performance.
Pushrod I wouldnt even consider this tire. You will always get what you pay for when you sacrific on quality shoes for your ride. Even if your not pushing the tire hard on a normal basis, who's to say you won't need to when some cager yanks his bumper an inch from your front tire.

You mentioned the dude at the shop said they were pretty good tires? I'd be curious to know if he's got an over stock of them cause they suck, unless of course your drag racing. One way to tell about the aformentioned advice is go check and see how big this guys chicken strips are on his rear tire. That will tell you everything about the demands he expects from his tires. And maybe the reasoning behind his answer, or not.

The last statment of your quote says it all,...read into that? If you can't find any information on this tire, that would be all I would need to know. Try and look at the Bridgstone BT series- see if they have a size to match your bike and the difference in prices between the two. If not go look for a racer that has take offs cause even those would be better. Just my 2.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Pushrod I wouldnt even consider this tire. You will always get what you pay for when you sacrific on quality shoes for your ride. Even if your not pushing the tire hard on a normal basis, who's to say you won't need to when some cager yanks his bumper an inch from your front tire.

You mentioned the dude at the shop said they were pretty good tires? I'd be curious to know if he's got an over stock of them cause they suck, unless of course your drag racing. One way to tell about the aformentioned advice is go check and see how big this guys chicken strips are on his rear tire. That will tell you everything about the demands he expects from his tires. And maybe the reasoning behind his answer, or not.

The last statment of your quote says it all,...read into that? If you can't find any information on this tire, that would be all I would need to know. Try and look at the Bridgstone BT series- see if they have a size to match your bike and the difference in prices between the two. If not go look for a racer that has take offs cause even those would be better. Just my 2.
You have direct experience with Shinko Ravens?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

That's what I like about Moke. He's "all in" with every opinion.

Shinko Stealth Tire Review - Street Tires Review - Motorcycle USA

"Not only did they offer up a surprising level of grip but the very few times the rear end did break loose it did so in a very predictable manner."

They sound fine for my level of skill. The above review is of the "Stealth" performance street tire, not the Raven, however, one could infer that similar levels of quality pervade the line.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
That's what I like about Moke. He's "all in" with every opinion.

Shinko Stealth Tire Review - Street Tires Review - Motorcycle USA

"Not only did they offer up a surprising level of grip but the very few times the rear end did break loose it did so in a very predictable manner."

They sound fine for my level of skill. The above review is of the "Stealth" performance street tire, not the Raven, however, one could infer that similar levels of quality pervade the line.
One would expect that tire salesmen would not be happy with someone selling tires that are as good as the expensive ones for 1/2 price. No they wouldn't be happy at all. In fact, they might spam websites with false bad reviews. I am NOT talking about MOKE here. I'm talking about companies engaging in internet propaganda. For example it's a known situation that the IMDB is filled with movie company employees who post rave reviews of the crappy movies they are involved in. Any company could hire someone to create false identities and then spread rumors about competitor's products. This poisons the discussion and makes finding the truth difficult at best.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Maybe I stand corrected but I'll never change my opinion. The flat like style tire imo doesn't have enough sidewall strength which is mentioned in the article. Also the Brick like feel from the front tire he keeps referring to doesn't give any feedback.

The changing of the company going to Yokohama or what have you may have something to do with it, which apparently is recent and might explain a difference than what I have been accustomed to in years past with these tires.
Possibly things have changed with the quality of the tires, but since the first time I ever heard the word Shinkos- its been common knowledge to stay away unless your drag racing. Good luck with em, let us know what kind of miles you get.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
One would expect that tire salesmen would not be happy with someone selling tires that are as good as the expensive ones for 1/2 price. No they wouldn't be happy at all. In fact, they might spam websites with false bad reviews. I am NOT talking about MOKE here. I'm talking about companies engaging in internet propaganda. For example it's a known situation that the IMDB is filled with movie company employees who post rave reviews of the crappy movies they are involved in. Any company could hire someone to create false identities and then spread rumors about competitor's products. This poisons the discussion and makes finding the truth difficult at best.
Ya know you could also look at it like Shinkos just trying to survive and make it through a slump in the economy, offerring up misleading and false claims about their tires. Via the internet.

But to let you know this is common knowledge around most if not all Roadrace/trackday circles. It's been this way since I can remember. If the company is making the tire's better nowadays then I retract my earlier statments. But only to these so called newer tires because the older tires where never good for cornering at all.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

Moke,

Thanks for the feedback.

As I mentioned way back, there is no 'cornering' around these parts: There are very few curves, and most roads have a nice coat of gorp or sand. Or both. So tires tend to wear out in a one-inch band across the center.

I haven't decided yet, but I do appreciate your input.

I'd really like to hear some more from folks that are running the Raven's, though.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Maybe I stand corrected but I'll never change my opinion. The flat like style tire imo doesn't have enough sidewall strength which is mentioned in the article. Also the Brick like feel from the front tire he keeps referring to doesn't give any feedback.

The changing of the company going to Yokohama or what have you may have something to do with it, which apparently is recent and might explain a difference than what I have been accustomed to in years past with these tires.
Possibly things have changed with the quality of the tires, but since the first time I ever heard the word Shinkos- its been common knowledge to stay away unless your drag racing. Good luck with em, let us know what kind of miles you get.
The "Podium 008" and (IIRC) the 003 are both a more "street-like" tire tread-pattern, and more-rounded profile. It really quickened the handling of the Wife's Ninja - so much so, I felt I had to warn her about it lest she crash the bike on an inside-corner. Quite a bit like the BT14, actually. It took some getting used to for her, to be sure.

So far as the Yokohama moulds and tire tech - it's my understanding Shinko has owned that stuff now nearly half a decade - and are "improving" as they go along.

I'd say pushrod has nothing to fear from a set of these tires. On my FZ6, I'm using sport-compound Tomahawks - which are "retread tires" and have had exactly 1 problem that Desser corrected immediately. Tire tech has come a long damn way in the last decade - even the Chinese crap isn't "crap" anymore.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote