Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
I had a Suzuki TL1000 S back in 97. Easiest bike to wheelie I ever owned. I had lots of fun on that thing. I think the Buell will be better though.
Me too. It was a very confused bike in stock form, but I loved my TLS.

My '97 TLS, from back in the day. All that midrange torque and a light front end. Easy to wheelie indeed!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/Wheelie1.jpg

I know I would love any of these sport twins, but with a wife and kids college, retirement, etc to save for, I just can't afford them right now. By the time I can afford them, I will be too damn old to enjoy them. Such is life.

Compensation comes in the form of my current bike, which makes 150 hp, has 26K valve adjustment intervals, is as reliable and nearly as comfortable as my Camry, and cost 8.4K out the door, perhaps 10K with the mods in it, and of course my evergreen '02 DRZ400 and a permanently borrowed (long term storing for a friend) '01 CR250 for off road duties.

Ya just can't beat my little stable's price to perf ratio with a stick. We do what we can eh?

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Used to love the TLS but the fuel injection only worked good when you were on the throttle. Threw town no matter how touchy you were with the throttle you could tell the injection wasnt right, but as soon as you got on it- problem gone.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Used to love the TLS but the fuel injection only worked good when you were on the throttle. Threw town no matter how touchy you were with the throttle you could tell the injection wasnt right, but as soon as you got on it- problem gone.

Nothing a Power Commander and a little seat-of-the-pants tuning couldn't solve. The injection was terrible stock, but I put a set of Yosh cans and a PC on it and it was like a different bike. Sounded bytchin too!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I originally had Yosh slip ons installed, then went to a Yosh full system. You would not think it would make that big a difference but it did. The TLS sounded positively evil with the full system on it.

I had a PCII on it and with a little tweaking, it was very crisp to the throttle. The TLS has single plates (no secondary butterflies) in it's throttle bodies. This made it very "raw" and responsive. My FZ1 was very sedate in comparison. Not any more though, after removing it's secondary plates, opening up the airbox, adding an Akra full exhaust and re-mapping with a PCIII. Now it is an angry rev hungry beast. It is amazing what a bit of tuning can do!

I imagine the 4 cylinder Aprilia in particular, could get really silly with further no concern for emissions tuning. The Japanese Supersports make staggering amounts of power (in the area of 170 rear wheel hp) with just basic tuning. I bet the Aprilia is not much different. Total overkill perhaps, but that is why we ride these things

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-31-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Nothing a Power Commander and a little seat-of-the-pants tuning couldn't solve. The injection was terrible stock, but I put a set of Yosh cans and a PC on it and it was like a different bike. Sounded bytchin too!
Yeah my shop only let me demo it for a few months. By 1998 they had only sold one 1997 TLS and that was to some guy racing it. Seeing as though the 98's were steadily on there way, they really needed to rid themselves of the overstock. After 3months of street riding and gettin down on the local mountain road they had sold nearly all of the units. Needless to say they started letting me demo all kinds of bikes. Once 2000 rolled around I purchased the TLR1000 installed a full set of Achropovics man, your right theres no better sound.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote