Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Honda = $10K

Versys w/luggage = $8K

Wee-Strom w/luggage & ABS = $8.5K

Oh please. There's no reason on earth to pay that much more.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Honda = $10K

Versys w/luggage = $8K

Wee-Strom w/luggage & ABS = $8.5K

Oh please. There's no reason on earth to pay that much more.
For a bike that won't do as much, and has LESS power than the Versys OR the V-Thurmond.........

(and this is coming from a guy who actually LIKES the engine the Dullsville is running - I've got more Hawks than you can shake a stick at......)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I have to agree with you there, LR. Too often, Mfgs use photos of midgets... er... little people to emphasize how "spacious" the accomodations are.
If they took the same picture with one of us fatboys on the bike, that chick would be sitting on the top box. It's a typical modern Honda; unexciting and too expensive for what it is. The old saw 'It's a Honda' just doesn't cut it any more. This from a guy who has owned many Hondas when they actually made cool motorcycles. Sad to see what they became.

Pointing at a picture of the CBX: "Remember that guy Rock?"
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
10 grand? I'll pass. I love the the two-up picture of the 5'3" 130 lb guy and the 4'9" 88 lb girl on there. I doubt things would look the same if me, Sarnali, or 12er jumped on.
NOTHING ever looks the same after you, Sarnali or 12er jump on it.

I'd donate a grand to charity just to see all three of you on it at the same time.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
NOTHING ever looks the same after you, Sarnali or 12er jump on it.

I'd donate a grand to charity just to see all three of you on it at the same time.
You'll need more $ than that to repair the massive pothole. Or would it be called a sinkhole?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You'll need more $ than that to repair the massive pothole. Or would it be called a sinkhole?
Oh, I shudder to think of the poor lil' Honda that would give its life needlessly.............
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
rapier
Founding Member

Put a turbo on it and the perfect sport tourer is born. Of course I've been waiting for a new NX Turbo for years too, since I thought about the concept. A midsized full faired do it all bike with around 100HP. Since the automotive world has fully embraced the turbo for small sporty cars I am almost shocked the cycle world has not returned. Yes, I know the drawbacks, most having to do with the drivers. But put a turbo in bikes that cannot be real sport bikes and won't attract the testoserone crowd and those drawbacks are mostly solved. That and low boost and almost impossible to modify design. Admittedly turbos can introduce reliability issues.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier View Post
Put a turbo on it and the perfect sport tourer is born. Of course I've been waiting for a new NX Turbo for years too, since I thought about the concept. A midsized full faired do it all bike with around 100HP. Since the automotive world has fully embraced the turbo for small sporty cars I am almost shocked the cycle world has not returned. Yes, I know the drawbacks, most having to do with the drivers. But put a turbo in bikes that cannot be real sport bikes and won't attract the testoserone crowd and those drawbacks are mostly solved. That and low boost and almost impossible to modify design. Admittedly turbos can introduce reliability issues.
Put a turbo on it, and watch that NT crankshaft disintegrate before your very eyes.

The crank design is by far and away the HP limiter on this engine - Jim Davis got 108hp out of an overbored, ~790cc version in a Hawk (with the 3-valve heads). With a forged Falicon crank. That lasted all of 2 laps. Twice...........

I seriously don't know why Honda went through all the trouble to redesign the heads on this bike, other than for emissions. It certainly wasn't to up the power - 'cuz the 3-valve head with minor tweaks can write more checks than the crank's ass could ever cash.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Admittedly turbos can introduce reliability issues."

This qualifies as the understatement of the year.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
rapier
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Put a turbo on it, and watch that NT crankshaft disintegrate before your very eyes.

The crank design is by far and away the HP limiter on this engine - Jim Davis got 108hp out of an overbored, ~790cc version in a Hawk (with the 3-valve heads). With a forged Falicon crank. That lasted all of 2 laps. Twice...........

I seriously don't know why Honda went through all the trouble to redesign the heads on this bike, other than for emissions. It certainly wasn't to up the power - 'cuz the 3-valve head with minor tweaks can write more checks than the crank's ass could ever cash.

Well not on this engine. That wasn't my point. I'll defend the concept. A middleweight and displacement bike with a turbo that is not a sport bike.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote