Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #71
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"How about just riding?"

Pretty much. I love how someone that is riding an air cooled V-Twin talking about superior technology. Quite a laugh really. Cruisers aren't a numbers game, and never will be. Those that try to make it into one just dont' get it. Making one that has a few more horsepower and a half inch lower seat and the bags are an inch bigger guarantees nothing. It's all about look and feel, and Harley covered those bases about 40 years ago. Just go buy what you like and ride it. The day you have to justify what you bought by talking about the problems of the 'other guy' means it's time for you to go buy the 'other guy's' bike.
Until this thread I wasn't aware that there was any real HD vs Victory conflict going on. Most people I know who have Harleys don't hate Victories and one even sold his Heritage Special and bought a V92 with luggage.

Putting someone else's ride down doesn't make one's own any better. For that matter no matter how much technology your bike has someone else's is going to have more. It's not a winnable game.

I say just ride. Heck, it's 19 degrees out and snowing. I'd like to be riding ANYTHING right now.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #72
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Until this thread I wasn't aware that there was any real HD vs Victory conflict going on. Most people I know who have Harleys don't hate Victories and one even sold his Heritage Special and bought a V92 with luggage.

Putting someone else's ride down doesn't make one's own any better. For that matter no matter how much technology your bike has someone else's is going to have more. It's not a winnable game.

I say just ride. Heck, it's 19 degrees out and snowing. I'd like to be riding ANYTHING right now.
Not around here you wouldn't. Angry mom's in SUVs everywhere! Talk about yer Ho Ho Ho.

I'm not riding anything with two wheels until after Christmas. Well that and I'm driving to Vegas on Saturday.

2 nights in a suite and VIP club passes for $69 a night! Gotta love the Obamaonomy. It's really going strong!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #73
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"How about just riding?"

Pretty much. I love how someone that is riding an air cooled V-Twin talking about superior technology. Quite a laugh really. Cruisers aren't a numbers game, and never will be. Those that try to make it into one just dont' get it. Making one that has a few more horsepower and a half inch lower seat and the bags are an inch bigger guarantees nothing. It's all about look and feel, and Harley covered those bases about 40 years ago. Just go buy what you like and ride it. The day you have to justify what you bought by talking about the problems of the 'other guy' means it's time for you to go buy the 'other guy's' bike.
You mean, if a Harley turns you on - you should go buy a Harley? And, if a Victory turns you on - you should go buy a Victory? Or even, if a Hayabusa or Buell CR turns you on - you should go buy a Hayabusa or a Buell CR?

Sonovab!tch! Why didn't I think of that?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #74
Matt7even
Registered Member

Reading this forum and others like it I think I figured out why Indians are so expensive. It's just the premium you pay to have the only cruiser on the market that Harley owners won't claim to be a "Harley wannabe" (though not from lack of trying). In fact borrowing from their logic you can even claim that they are riding "wannabe Indians". I think that could be worth a few extra G's =).
Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #75
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Reading this forum and others like it I think I figured out why Indians are so expensive."

You are one step ahead of the rest of us. I can't figure out why they make them at all.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7even View Post
Reading this forum and others like it I think I figured out why Indians are so expensive. It's just the premium you pay to have the only cruiser on the market that Harley owners won't claim to be a "Harley wannabe" (though not from lack of trying). In fact borrowing from their logic you can even claim that they are riding "wannabe Indians". I think that could be worth a few extra G's =).
Well, Indian went out of business more than a decade before anyone ever came up with the idea of a "cruiser". So if the new ones are configured as cruisers then I guess they would be copying HD. HD built cruisers to profit from the user modified street choppers. Street choppers took off in volume after the movie "Easy Rider" came out. So if anyone can be credited with creating the cruiser genre it would be Dean Lanza who built Fonda's bike.

HD didn't invent the cruiser or chopper. BMW didn't invent the AT. The Japanese didn't invent the sport bike. Users did.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #77
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
a bike is best evaluated at it's 10yr bday. did the design stand up? does the technology used stand up? is the bike still relevant?
this is one of the things that makes harley davidson so strong. their designs stand up over time.
the yamaha didnt get the kind of engineering it should have right fromt he start. take a look at a goldwing from the same era. night and day.
I would tend to think the relevence is present if the bike is still being sold. I have customers that have owned Harleys and love the old Vmax derived powerplant. Infact some actually say bullet proof when describing the bike. So yes the technology does stand up. Sure the bikes features are old compaired to the Honda but I sold at least 6 last year alone.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #78
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I would tend to think the relevence is present if the bike is still being sold. I have customers that have owned Harleys and love the old Vmax derived powerplant. Infact some actually say bullet proof when describing the bike. So yes the technology does stand up. Sure the bikes features are old compaired to the Honda but I sold at least 6 last year alone.
That was one thing that continued to amaze me: how well the "Old" V-Max sold. Hell, I thought for awhile that Yamaha had dropped the bike completely.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #79
roadhamr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
That was one thing that continued to amaze me: how well the "Old" V-Max sold. Hell, I thought for awhile that Yamaha had dropped the bike completely.
they did drop the bike for a few years.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #80
roadhamr
Registered Member

longride like i said you are a super fan. yes 40years ago harley got the combo right for most people. now victory is trying to improve upon the standard set by harley. there is lots of room in the marletplace for their rendition of the cruiser. i personnally run a valkyrie interstate so i have power demands and requirements that harley cannot touch and i am glad to see victory is building a bike for my market segment.
yes their sales numbers arent great but it is a difficult time in the market place. once they are fully established they will be a player in the cruiser market and there is very little your biased opinion will have to say about it.
there arent too may manufaturers building junk these days so it is really a matter of preference and individual taste. all hallmarks of a free society. you do like freedom dont you longride?
Closed Thread