Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #41
Duken4evr
Founding Member
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 722
Default

Thoughtfully written test. Nice job.

I resemble that aging sport biker mentioned as a potential Victory buyer in, oh, 10 years. Used to ride full on sport bikes, now on an FZ1 which is a basically a deplasticized comfy sport bike with a handlebar. Eventually I will likely degenerate to the point where my MC needs a backrest and a 4 speaker stereo. Victory is coming along nicely and should have things completely dialed in by then.

It is good to have a plan
Duken4evr is offline  

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #42
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"i remember being told once that the goldwing has more made in america parts than most harleys"

And you believed that?
In terms of the number of parts (not percentage), that could be true. I remember Honda telling us at the 2001 GW's launch that the bike actually had more parts than a Honda Civic!
Kevin_Duke is offline  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
In terms of the number of parts (not percentage), that could be true. I remember Honda telling us at the 2001 GW's launch that the bike actually had more parts than a Honda Civic!
Doubtful, even with that stretch. Honda never moved any of it's manufacturing or casting facilities over here. Plastic maybe, and there is plenty of that on a GoldWing. The vast majority of those parts, especially the motor, were made in Japan and were shipped and assembled here. I'm sure Honda took great liberties as to what was 'American' and what wasn't, so they could push it off and being 'manufactured' here. I doubt anyone but the Honda brass knows the truth, but pretty much everyone knows that they didn't really manufacture much here except the real Honda Kool-Aid drinkers. Not that what they made was bad. I had 2 GoldWings, but i never thought of them as 'American Made' because they weren't.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #44
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
That's my point! They're NOT selling motorcycles and they're NOT making a profit. They are laying off workers and they are closing plants. Their target audience are dying off and the young buyers are'nt buying. The average buyer, not knowing the Harley 'mystic', are looking at 800 lbs. and 60 hp and laughing all the way to the Honda dealer. Harley won't be able to make the aircooled motor pass Epa regulations much longer. They even computerized their EFI to turn off the rear cylinder at under 5 mph or it will burn up. It's like taking your dead grandma out for a walk. Give me a 105 hp liquid-cooled Porsche-designed engine in a sporty frame or put one in a 2011 Street Glide and watch the sales come back!
Clay, the reason HD is closing plants and laying off workers is because of the recession. It's as "clear a cause and effect" relationship as could ever be imagined! EVERY manufacturer is in the dumps sales wise. But when HD was selling bikes as fast as they could make them, the VRod was a tiny percentage of sales. This, in the face of many variations, styles, etc.

The only question in my mind isn't why HD doesn't put the VRod motor in their other bikes, but rather, why they didn't discontinue the VRod along with Buell.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Doubtful, even with that stretch. Honda never moved any of it's manufacturing or casting facilities over here. Plastic maybe, and there is plenty of that on a GoldWing. The vast majority of those parts, especially the motor, were made in Japan and were shipped and assembled here. I'm sure Honda took great liberties as to what was 'American' and what wasn't, so they could push it off and being 'manufactured' here. I doubt anyone but the Honda brass knows the truth, but pretty much everyone knows that they didn't really manufacture much here except the real Honda Kool-Aid drinkers. Not that what they made was bad. I had 2 GoldWings, but i never thought of them as 'American Made' because they weren't.
For what it's worth I remember getting a letter from Willie Davidson when I was still a member of HOG back in the 80s. It apologized for the large number of foreign made parts that HD was forced to use, but that they were trying to get their parts from caucasian countries rather than oriental ones. While it didn't mention any specific amounts of parts they must have been substantial for him to send the letter at all. I remember this because at the time I thought sending something like that was pretty wacky.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #46
Matt7even
Registered Member
 
Matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Default

I have always liked the Street Glides but I have to admit the more aggressive handling and performance along with greater storage and suspension makes the Vic a very tempting combination.
Matt7even is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #47
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool Full dress Tourer,.......never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Thoughtfully written test. Nice job.

I resemble that aging sport biker mentioned as a potential Victory buyer in, oh, 10 years. Used to ride full on sport bikes, now on an FZ1 which is a basically a deplasticized comfy sport bike with a handlebar. Eventually I will likely degenerate to the point where my MC needs a backrest and a 4 speaker stereo. Victory is coming along nicely and should have things completely dialed in by then.

It is good to have a plan
Maybe its just denile, but I dont think I'll ever want a bike like this. Although its fun to hear everones opinions and have a plan for the future- just cant see myself actually owning a full dress tourer. Love to ride them don't get me wrong, but to own one, never. The farthest I'll ever stray from a sportbike is proabably a sport tourer like the FZ1. Course there will have to be alot of yoga involved as time goes on.

I remember meeting two 65yr olds a Jennings a few years back doing a trackday on a pair of 1098's. I made it a point to go over and applaud their youthful talents at such a "young age". I thought how awsome is that- thats going to be me!
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Maybe its just denile, but I dont think I'll ever want a bike like this. Although its fun to hear everones opinions and have a plan for the future- just cant see myself actually owning a full dress tourer. Love to ride them don't get me wrong, but to own one, never. The farthest I'll ever stray from a sportbike is proabably a sport tourer like the FZ1. Course there will have to be alot of yoga involved as time goes on.

I remember meeting two 65yr olds a Jennings a few years back doing a trackday on a pair of 1098's. I made it a point to go over and applaud their youthful talents at such a "young age". I thought how awsome is that- thats going to be me!
Do like I did. I picked up an 80 GL1100 for $2K. Good enough for our yearly tour and okay for really cold commuting. I'll sell it in a couple of years for $2K. It's easy to have a bike for infrequent use if you buy used carefully. Use it a few times and it's cheaper than renting.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline  
Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #49
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I like touring bikes for their utility more than anything else. I try to ride as much as I can for daily transportation and having a comfortable bike with good weather protection and luggage capacity just expands that ability. An FZ1 or Bandit, Vstrom or Ully would work too with a set of Givi bags and trunk. However these and my FLHT are just more comfortable.

As far as Goldwings go they were assembled in the USA, not "made" in the USA, all major componants and castings were made in Japan, shipped over here and assembled. Personaly I'm glad Harley is using Brembos because they're probably the best brakes you can get, likewise with Japanese electronics and electrical componants. Why would you not want the best available?
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #50
Duken4evr
Founding Member
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Maybe its just denile, but I dont think I'll ever want a bike like this. Although its fun to hear everones opinions and have a plan for the future- just cant see myself actually owning a full dress tourer. Love to ride them don't get me wrong, but to own one, never. The farthest I'll ever stray from a sportbike is proabably a sport tourer like the FZ1. Course there will have to be alot of yoga involved as time goes on.

I remember meeting two 65yr olds a Jennings a few years back doing a trackday on a pair of 1098's. I made it a point to go over and applaud their youthful talents at such a "young age". I thought how awsome is that- thats going to be me!
I hear ya! I ride dirt bikes too. The dream is to be like Malcolm Smith and keep riding well into the senior years. Old dirt bikers are a crafty and wiley lot, they are all about efficiency and energy conservation, yet still going along pretty well.

Love the idea of an old bomber touring bike and having the sporting bike too. A Yamaha Venture in suitably dilapidated but still reliable condition would be cool. They are butt ugly, but I love the V4 motor.
Duken4evr is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off