Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There's another BMW problem cropping up. Apparently in order to make the R1200 a lighter engine much material has been reduced in the case casting process. The new R1200s are totalling their engines in crashes that the earlier oilheads just laughed off. Cracked cases abound. The guys at Motorcycle R&R said that just about every crashed R1200 they've gotten in has been totalled. The older models survive crashes much better.

All the more reason to stick with the R1100/1150s until BMW gets its act together.
I'll take a mid 80's Airhead or K bike myself.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
rvfrules
Founding Member

The Victory may get the nod in more categories, but in the one that matters most in the cruiser segment it loses big time — looks!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
12er
Founding Member

My flying brick has been as solid as, well, a brick (other than the fuel line). Though the boxers I dont care for, since I bash my shin into the heads at every stop and try and file the heads off in turns. What are we hearing about the 800's? The 800GS is the only beemer I'm interested in currently, though not in the budget. Thought about cashing in the ford stock for one of the fire sale buells though. If they had cut the uly down as much as the rest I probably would have.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The review kind of blew past it, but having ridden dozens of FLHXYZ's, the 'Glide has it all over the Vic (and the rest of the FLH line) for one simple reason: a fixed fairing. Why anyone would design, build, or buy a full-dresser with a fork mounted fairing is beyond me. They suck, and then they suck some more.
That's called the Vision Street.... frame mounted fairing
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
Larry
Founding Member

Default V-Rod motor on a Street Glide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
Give me a 105 hp liquid-cooled Porsche-designed engine in a sporty frame or put one in a 2011 Street Glide and watch the sales come back!
The appeal of the big twins is big torque and the average rider of big twin touring bikes would hate the V-Rod motor. Sure you get 105 ponies, but it's the wimpy 69 ft/bs that kills it. The V-rod is a dog under 5000 RPM and that kind of powerband isn not the hot ticket for a heavy bagger bike.

I have a Victory Kingpin bagger that makes triple digit torque by 2400 RPM and is still making 110 ft/lbs at the rev limiter. Once you ride a torque monster for a while nothing else will do. Downshift? That won't be necessary.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4488 View Post
More power, more torque, better brakes, more standard equipment, more storage, more comfort and lower price...

jack
Bam! Thats what Iam talking about!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Maybe Suzuki needs to take your advice and put V-rod engines in all their bikes too.

Wow wow wow! Dont go overboard now.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The 96inchers throw off a lot of heat at idle as would any large displacement air cooled engine.
The heat issue HD has is due to trying to meet 2012 emissions standards with a dinosaur design. The Victory engines are also air cooled and there is no need for killing the rear jug in traffic or any such nonsense.

Why HDs don't come standard with an oil cooler I'll never figure out. How about some more cooling fin area on those jugs? After 100 years of air cooled engine experience you'd think they'd be better at it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Or a ceramic bore like the Japanese.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Why HDs don't come standard with an oil cooler I'll never figure out. How about some more cooling fin area on those jugs? After 100 years of air cooled engine experience you'd think they'd be better at it."

Yeah, boy you sure got Harley on that one! They will ship about 225,000 motorcycles this year and Victory will ship about 10,000, if that. Victory really put it over on em, didn't they?