Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #241
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No way. We are going for maximum thread count here. What else is there to do all winter?
No doubt! I think we can ride this wave all the way into March.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #242
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I still think the how Victory integrated the seat into the tank for a smooth, flowing line is quite stylish. When I buy a bike (which is like... hardly ever), I want the bike to look like a whole, versus the sum of its parts.
That's why you bought a Buell right? Heh heh.

Well, then go buy one. Victory really really really needs the business right now. And Larry is gonna be needing a lot of parts soon. If Victory is anything like Polaris' ATVs.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #243
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
That's why you bought a Buell right? Heh heh.

Well, then go buy one. Victory really really really needs the business right now. And Larry is gonna be needing a lot of parts soon. If Victory is anything like Polaris' ATVs.
I am Victory's target demographic in, like... twenty-five years. Let's just hope they're still in business then.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #244
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Dyna stock torque = 96. Nothing on the victory to warrant another $5K.
96 ft-lbs is a CLAIMED number at the crankshaft... If you want to use that, Victory claims 106. I'm talking about actual rear-wheel numbers. The Fat Boy would be a closer comparison at $16K base MSRP, but it still lacks cartridge forks and a dozen horsepower.

What on the Fat Boy makes it worth $5K more than a Superglide, oh wise and powerful one? Please enlighten me.

Quote:
The Arlen Ness styling is a big detraction to boot.
Yes, ugly-assed bike....

11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #245
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

“It’s all about sharing the Harley-Davidson experience with a discriminating audience and earning the opportunity to welcome new riders into the family,” said Dino Bernacchi, Harley-Davidson Advertising and Promotions Director.

So there I was, sharing the Polaris/Victory experience with some other Polaris/Victory family members, and we realized...we don't have a Polaris/Victory experience.

Regardless of the bike technology, quality, and all the other tangibles, HD is, in indisputable fact, a subculture that no motorcycle manufacturer is ever likely to match. Apparently that's worth something.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #246
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I am Victory's target demographic in, like... twenty-five years. Let's just hope they're still in business then.
I remember back in 2002, when I test rode a V-92C, I left thinking Victory still had a lot of work to do. In 2004 I test rode a Vegas and thought they were getting a lot better. After the introduction of the 100/6 in all models for 2006 I rode all the Victory bikes... and I bought one. They really nailed it!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #247
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
96 ft-lbs is a CLAIMED number at the crankshaft... If you want to use that, Victory claims 106. I'm talking about actual rear-wheel numbers. The Fat Boy would be a closer comparison at $16K base MSRP, but it still lacks cartridge forks and a dozen horsepower.

What on the Fat Boy makes it worth $5K more than a Superglide, oh wise and powerful one? Please enlighten me.

Yes, ugly-assed bike....

Nothing makes a Fat bob worth another $3K. Nothing makes a Lexus Land Cruiser worth more that a Toyota Land Cruiser either. Yet people belly right up and pay more. A mystery of human behavior.

Why people buy these long-stroke overblown V-Twin monstrosities at all is beyond me. Mostly it seems to do with how the bikes sound. Still, people can buy what they want. I hope it makes them happy. You too.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #248
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
... HD is, in indisputable fact, a subculture that no motorcycle manufacturer is ever likely to match. Apparently that's worth something.
I think the closest fans would have to be Ducati. I'd stay away from them, though. I hear they're rabid.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #249
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Nothing makes a Fat bob worth another $3K. Nothing makes a Lexus Land Cruiser worth more that a Toyota Land Cruiser either. Yet people belly right up and pay more. A mystery of human behavior.
Well, the difference between driving an Escalade EXT and an Avalance is night and day. Same basic truck but boy is the Caddy a driver! Oh, and I said Fat BOY.

Quote:
Why people buy these long-stroke overblown V-Twin monstrosities at all is beyond me. I hope it makes them happy.
If these type bikes are not of interest to you, why are you posting in this discussion at all?

Last edited by Larry : 01-05-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Thought better of it.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #250
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Hey, I have an Avalanche and love it. But whats the difference in the H-D officially liscensed t shirt at Walmart for 11.99, and the 28.99 one at the dealership? They both come from across the ocean as did all the parts on all bikes on the market. I think they even shared a boat with our computers, TVs & cellphones.