Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #231
Larry
Founding Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I can't tell you the number of times their follow-up was "I used to ride a Harley..."
Yup, the older I get the tougher I was...

I used to be young and good looking, now I'm older and fatter.

If you said "I ride a Triumph" many times the response would be "I used to have a Triumph back in the day".
__________________
Victory Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big bore
126 HP/134 TQ -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline  

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #232
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Yup, the older I get the tougher I was...

I used to be young and good looking, now I'm older and fatter.

If you said "I ride a Triumph" many times the response would be "I used to have a Triumph back in the day".

I rode Triumphs for a number of years, I used to get that alot with the Trophy 1200. Mostly along the lines of Wow, I didn't know they still made them.... with the T100 and Thruxton they just thought they were original restorations though a few people caught on that they were Hinkley's.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #233
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Think about the impact of these 2 statements on the average non-riding person.

"He rides a motorcycle"

"He rides a Harley"
Big difference for some, but alot dont care. At my previous job I rode my bike often and due to parking everyone there knew someone had a bike, but not who. Then 1 day I was running later then usual and ran in (removing my helmet) to punch the clock ontime and had to keep my helmet and coat at my desk, whereas I usually put the coat in the sidebox and the helmet on the bike. I wish I woulda just been late that day, from the "Your the guy who rides that thing", "My cousin died on one of those", "I'm saving my money for a bike", "I have a harley in the garage", "do you know how to fix carbs", "will you take me for a ride", "Will you let me ride it", "will you teach me to ride". It was among the least productive days working there. So what I ride a motorcycle and noone should care unless they have to ride with me, and even they sholdnt care what kind it is.
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #234
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Looks like H-D realizes other brands offer competition...

From a PR released today:

Harley-Davidson Offers $500 Over Trade-In to Competitive Owners

Milwaukee (January 5, 2010) –Harley-Davidson invites competitive riders to trade in their non-Harley-Davidson motorcycles for a new untitled Harley-Davidson motorcycle. As an added incentive, customers who trade-in an eligible competitive motorcycle toward the purchase of an eligible Harley-Davidson® motorcycle by January 31, 2010, will receive the dealer-negotiated trade-in value plus $500 towards the final purchase price.

“It’s all about sharing the Harley-Davidson experience with a discriminating audience and earning the opportunity to welcome new riders into the family,” said Dino Bernacchi, Harley-Davidson Advertising and Promotions Director.
Kevin_Duke is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #235
Larry
Founding Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Oh yes, let's compare those things.

HD Dyna Glide = $11,999, 663 lbs wet, 64.2" wb, 4 piston brakes, 29 degree rake, storage = none.

Kingpin = $16,949, 666lbs DRY, 65.6" wb, 4 piston brakes, 32.8 degree rake, storage = none.

I stopped there when I realized what a terrible and inferior deal a Victory is. I had thought myself that if I wanted a cruiser that I'd likely get a Victory 'cause my friend Mike's V92 is a really nice bike. but the new Victorys with the ridiculous Arlen Ness styling, overweight, slow handling turn me off. Thank you for having me compare the two. HD is clearly the superior choice.
Have you actually ridden a Kingpin? Inverted Marzocchi forks, Fox monoshock, 100" 6 speed, 75 HP/92 ft-lbs stock, super low seat, 18" wheels both ends, 180mm rear tire... Despite what the rake and wheelbase tell you, the steering is quick and precise. The counterbalanced engine is bolted solidly to the frame for rigidity (no paint-shaker idle) and the chassis is unbelievably forgiving. The bike is roomy and comfortable too. If floorbaords aren't your thing, the Vegas foot controls bolt right up (I did it). You can bolt up some huge hard-shell saddlebags on it and they don't look totally out of place.





There's a world of difference between a Superglide and a Kingpin. The more comparable Victory would be the Vegas... but then again, Victory models don't really align in parallel to HD models.
__________________
Victory Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big bore
126 HP/134 TQ -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #236
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Have you actually ridden a Kingpin? Inverted Marzocchi forks, Fox monoshock, 100" 6 speed, 75 HP/92 ft-lbs stock, super low seat, 18" wheels both ends, 180mm rear tire... Despite what the rake and wheelbase tell you, the steering is quick and precise. The counterbalanced engine is bolted solidly to the frame for rigidity (no paint-shaker idle) and the chassis is unbelievably forgiving. The bike is roomy and comfortable too. If floorbaords aren't your thing, the Vegas foot controls bolt right up (I did it). You can bolt up some huge hard-shell saddlebags on it and they don't look totally out of place.





There's a world of difference between a Superglide and a Kingpin. The more comparable Victory would be the Vegas... but then again, Victory models don't really align in parallel to HD models.
Dyna stock torque = 96.

Nothing on the victory to warrant another $5K. The Arlen Ness styling is a big detraction to boot.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #237
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Good god someone kill this thread!
I said the same thing 150 dumb posts ago, and I was the 'bad guy'. Buz hit it on the head again, only it's still 150 dumb posts too late!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #238
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I said the same thing 150 dumb posts ago, and I was the 'bad guy'. Buz hit it on the head again, only it's still 150 dumb posts too late!
Boppa-Mm-Mao-Mao!






(tse tsung)
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #239
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I said the same thing 150 dumb posts ago, and I was the 'bad guy'. Buz hit it on the head again, only it's still 150 dumb posts too late!
No way. We are going for maximum thread count here. What else is there to do all winter?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #240
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... but the new Victorys with the ridiculous Arlen Ness styling, overweight, slow handling turn me off. Thank you for having me compare the two. HD is clearly the superior choice.
I still think the how Victory integrated the seat into the tank for a smooth, flowing line is quite stylish. When I buy a bike (which is like... hardly ever), I want the bike to look like a whole, versus the sum of its parts.
Dr_Sprocket is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off