Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #181
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you were paying attention you would already know this. My ZRX came used with a Yoshi RS3. After a few days of making like a .38 special I put the stock muffler back on. Roll on testing showed that the stock pipe gave better performance in all conditions. A Holeshot carb kit cured the RS3 mixture problems but didn't make much performance difference, just like I said it would. The stock pipe is back on because the RS3 is just too loud and I'm tired of getting the cops' attention.

I've been telling people to spend their money on track training and experience before tossing $1000 on a pipe that often won't do much. I stand by that opinion. If the bike hadn't had the pipe when I bought it I'd have never gotten one. Luckily the previous owner kept the stock exhaust.

The biggest reason I went with the D&D was because it's designed for use by the Police. According to a Police test report I read it was not overly loud but gave a noticeable improvement in grunt. Also it's stainless which turns a nice gold color and it's a slash down design which I like. I leave at 0500 and have no wish to piss my neighbors off but a few more ponies never hurt and freeing up the exhaust should make the engine run a little cooler. I'm not changing the intake so the closed loop EFI should be able to handle more exhaust flow..

Anyway we'll see what happens once I get it installed

http://www.danddexhaust.com/img/qa-policeBike.jpg

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #182
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It takes nearly zero-skill to "operate" a dyno, but a shatzload of experience, sense, and time to properly tune a bike; 'specially a carb'd bike. They don't have it. I barely have any myself ('specially the "sense" part).

NOW you know the rest of the story there, Paul Harvey.
Well Iam not sure about it taking zero skill, but I do know it takes half the time with alot less risk. You make carbureted tuning sound intense. Its either right or its wrong, see very simple. I feel you on the sence part.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #183
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The biggest reason I went with the D&D was because it's designed for use by the Police. According to a Police test report I read it was not overly loud but gave a noticeable improvement in grunt. Also it's stainless which turns a nice gold color and it's a slash down design which I like. I leave at 0500 and have no wish to piss my neighbors off but a few more ponies never hurt and freeing up the exhaust should make the engine run a little cooler. I'm not changing the intake so the closed loop EFI should be able to handle more exhaust flow..

Anyway we'll see what happens once I get it installed

http://www.danddexhaust.com/img/qa-policeBike.jpg
Let us know if the EFI does handle it, I would think with a full exhaust you'd need to remap it.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #184
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
A Holeshot carb kit cured the RS3 mixture problems but didn't make much performance difference, just like I said it would.

And of course this information was all provided from a Dynomometer,....right?
A stop watch will give you close enough comparative data. Simply compare your 60-80 and 80-100 roll ons. More hp = quicker roll ons. Simple. Most people do not have access to an M/C dyno at all, y' know.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #185
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Let us know if the EFI does handle it, I would think with a full exhaust you'd need to remap it.
It's not full exhaust, just cans. Full exhaust or intake changes would require a re flash. The thing is I wind up riding in the rain alot and the stock HD airbox is virtually water proof so I'm not interested in f*cking around with it to gain a few more ponies at the expense of all weather capability.

Last edited by sarnali2 : 01-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #186
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Talk about a losing strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well then sell the Harley and buy a Hayabusa. You're the only guy I know who constantly complains about his own motorcycle. Sell the danged thing and get a Fury. Or a Rocket!

Harley hasn't sold based on HP for 35 freaking years, pal. Maybe they aren't targeting your demographic. They seem to find enough customers as it is.

That "HD will collapse because they don't target young guys" argument is very good except for one major flaw. They've been saying it for 35 years now. And HD still sells more big bikes than anyone. LOL!
I am a cruiser guy so any talk of Hayabusa is as relevant in this discussion as my ex girlfriend’s yeast infection.

Indeed, Harley has not been sold based on HP in 35 years. But we are not living in the seventies anymore. Back in those days there was no competition in the big cruiser market. Situation may still look cool in your local burger barn when you talk to your barely literate buddies with HD tattoed on their asses (and that cool “Born to be Wild” headscarf).

Suddenly there is competition. There are many big cruiser manufacturers and every single one of them has bigger and better engines.

If you read the comparo, even an upstart snowmobile manufacturer is producing a Harley beating bike with a stronger motor. How in God’s name is that possible? What happened with that 100+ years of engineering experience? What do you think this kind of crap will do to the iconic status of the brand? Is it really a winning strategy to produce mediocre bulk engines, eternally losing every comparo? One would think America’s motor industry has gained enough experience, the hard way, to focus on the competitive products instead of the past glory.

- cruiz-euro
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #187
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
If you read the comparo, even an upstart snowmobile manufacturer is producing a Harley beating bike with a stronger motor.

- cruiz-euro
Sorry. They aren't. HD sales defy all common sense and continue to humiliate the competition. Time to let it go. Sell the Harley and buy a Rocket. Find inner peace.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #188
roadhamr
Registered Member

it is a bit of a mystery how harley survives but as a guy i used to work with who is a real superfan like longride used to say. ''if i have to explain it to you, you wouldnt understand''. long live the motor company!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #189
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's really no mystery. It's a combination of "cool" and total support of the brand. The cool can go away but if you love the bikes then it really doesn't matter because you will always have the support.

Victory, which I happen to think is a pretty decent bike, could gold plate the SOB's and I still wouldn't buy one. I don't like cruisers, I like Harleys. If I didn't have the Harley I'd go back to Sport Standards like a Guzzi or FZ1 or another Bandit.....f*ck cruisers..

Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #190
Larry
Founding Member

Default Reality for a change

The truth of the matter is that the HD offering doesn't do well against the Victory in a head-to-head comparison. It was obvious in the Video at the beginning. When the HD appeared there wasn't much to say about the bike... "an Icon from the Icon" is certainly not anything that can be compared objectively. At the end it was all coming down to personal preference... OK, for most people that means comparing the bikes feature for feature, comparing performance, handling, ride, comfort, storage, braking, and price... then selecting the one that gives best value for the dollars spent. At least that would be my personal preference.

The 'faithful' will say "It has enough power for me" or "it handles well enough for me" or "I like the looks better" which are all just admissions that you are willing to pay more money and settle for the bike made by Harley Davidson just because it's made by Harley Davidson. Your personnal preference is to accept mediocre at a premium price for the priveledge of owning the Icon. More power to ya, but just because HD sells more bikes does not mean they are the better bike. All it means is they have convinced the masses that they are the 'cool' bike to own.

How many people say "I'm gonna get me a Harley" and go pick out the HD they like the looks of best and buy it? There is no comparison shopping, there is no 'short list' of bikes that meet their requirements... hell, the only requirement is that it's a Harley.

It looks like the HD faithful are a tad bit intimidated by the new kid in town. When the new kid has the icon outgunned in almost every category it gets some people's panties all bunched up around the axle.
Closed Thread