Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #151
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
"the 96 cubic-inch Harley Twin managed 80.4 ft-lbs and a modest peak horsepower reading of 61.4 ponies"

Geez. My Harley has 88 ci and dynoed 64 hp - so the extra 8 ci has apparently produced a massive improvement of minus 2.6 ponies. This new strategy "winning by even lamer engines" lends a completely new meaning to term reverse engineering.

There are several ramifications of this. One is that Harley is increasingly positioning itself as the old man's bike. Second is that the heavy end of the cruiser kingdom has been given to others, without even a prentence of a fight. Third is that the owners of the huge base of big hogs don't have an upgrade possibility within the brand.

Would I trade my already wimpy 64 rwhp bike up to 61 hp? Absurd. Its like trying to sell minus 1 inch penis enlargement operations. I don't know how Harley will compete in the future but one thing is sure: their strategy of giving a massive power handicap to the competition will not help.

- cruiz-euro
Well then sell the Harley and buy a Hayabusa. You're the only guy I know who constantly complains about his own motorcycle. Sell the danged thing and get a Fury. Or a Rocket!

Harley hasn't sold based on HP for 35 freaking years, pal. Maybe they aren't targeting your demographic. They seem to find enough customers as it is.

That "HD will collapse because they don't target young guys" argument is very good except for one major flaw. They've been saying it for 35 years now. And HD still sells more big bikes than anyone. LOL!

Last edited by seruzawa : 12-30-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #152
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Harley admittedly dominate the cruiser marketplace. But to say it has no competition is a fallacy. The V-Star 950 is Yamaha's best-selling model. The Thunderbird is one of Triumph's best sellers. Victory is a profitable enterprise for Polaris. If these (and other) companies are making money selling cruisers, then that's less potential money being spent on Harleys.

Keep in mind I didn't say I hate Harleys or think they are inferior products!
True. But from Harley's perspective they have lost big time on every attempt to broaden their appeal. So it looks like they are simply doing what works best for them and not caring about the comparatively minor market segment that the others fill.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 AM   #153
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Victory is a profitable enterprise for Polaris."

I bet it isn't. Show me the numbers.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #154
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I predict the TC103 will become the standard engine in 2011 Hogs.
That's a pretty good bet. The CVO upgrade engines have migrated to become the standard engine 3 times now since the first Twinkie rolled out. "Field Testing."
Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #155
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Quote:
Harley's worldwide reputation as an American icon means they don't have to be as concerned about class-leading power. However, that isn't to say H-D won't be spending R&D dollars on making more power. I predict the TC103 will become the standard engine in 2011 Hogs.
I think as time goes on, they will be concerned about the HP and take the necessary steps to make them more competitive by compairision. Imo Harley just needs to remove that big chip off their shoulder and make it happen.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #156
Jammin'John
Registered Member

Angry BS

C'mon with all the my bike is better crap.
I'm not a Victory fan but I think that the latest ones are pretty good.
The first ones looked & performed very crudely and those that followed looked gay.

Man you jap bike & beemer guys constantly egg on the extremely closed minds of the harley guys.................. WTF.

You'll NEVER convert them,it's a religion,lifestyle,etc.

And according to the harley boys their bikes are the envy of everyone.

NOBODY makes all american products.

Crap,that new one lung beemer is from china.

I love to ride.................not pose.............wtf.......get over it.

The harley boyz hate jap bikes and the jappers see through all the harley primping and posing and BS.

Hell,my goddamn valkyrie has more american parts,including the ENGINE, than a goddamn harley..................so what.........
who gives a ****..............ride the f*&$ing thing & shut the f#$k up.

JJ
Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #157
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
C'mon with all the my bike is better crap.
I'm not a Victory fan but I think that the latest ones are pretty good.
The first ones looked & performed very crudely and those that followed looked gay.

Man you jap bike & beemer guys constantly egg on the extremely closed minds of the harley guys.................. WTF.

You'll NEVER convert them,it's a religion,lifestyle,etc.

And according to the harley boys their bikes are the envy of everyone.

NOBODY makes all american products.

Crap,that new one lung beemer is from china.

I love to ride.................not pose.............wtf.......get over it.

The harley boyz hate jap bikes and the jappers see through all the harley primping and posing and BS.

Hell,my goddamn valkyrie has more american parts,including the ENGINE, than a goddamn harley..................so what.........
who gives a ****..............ride the f*&$ing thing & shut the f#$k up.

JJ
All the Harley owners around here own Japanese bikes too. Kind of throws your theory away.

Who is a greater poser than some clown in a power ranger suit wheeling around town having never done a track day? Posers indeed.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #158
Jammin'John
Registered Member

Wink Sport Bikes

I agree that there are a LOT of sportbike posers.
If they do like to go fast & they wear full leathers and a full face helmet I would NOT consider that as posing.
Their bikes are VERY FAST and I respect that.

JJ
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #159
Jammin'John
Registered Member

Question ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
All the Harley owners around here own Japanese bikes too. Kind of throws your theory away.

Who is a greater poser than some clown in a power ranger suit wheeling around town having never done a track day? Posers indeed.
If you ride jap bikes then WHY do you ALWAYS put them down ?

JJ
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #160
Jammin'John
Registered Member

Question ?

AND why do the harley boyz always have to wear clothes that SAY harley on them even when they're not riding.
I don't even own a honda shirt,jacket,etc.
When I go into a bar you wouldn't even know I came on a bike if you hadn't seen me.
WHY do you have to always announce that you have a harley ?

JJ

Last edited by Jammin'John : 12-31-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread