Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #101
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Someone jumps in calling HDs junk. Which only exposes their ignorance."

Oops, guess I exposed mine a while back then. Dooh

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #102
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Oops, guess I exposed mine a while back then. Dooh
There's an easy way to discover the true meaning of junk. Go to any motorcycle junkyard with a pencil and tablet of paper. Write down the names of motorcycle manufacturers. Then put a mark under the name of each manufacturer of every motorcycle you count in the junkyard. When you are done you will find no marks under the names "Harley-Davidson" or "Indian". You may find a mark or two under "Triumph", "Ducati", "BMW" or "KTM". 99% of the marks will be under the names "Honda", "Suzuki", "Yamaha" and "Kawasaki".

Voila! You have discovered the true meaning of the work "Junk". That's what you find in junkyards after all.

Last edited by seruzawa : 12-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #103
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There's an easy way to discover the true meaning of junk. Go to any motorcycle junkyard with a pencil and tablet of paper. Write down the names of motorcycle manufacturers. Then put a mark under the name of each manufacturer of every motorcycle you count in the junkyard. When you are done you will find no marks under the names "Harley-Davidson" or "Indian". You may find a mark or two under "Triumph", "Ducati", "BMW" or "KTM". 99% of the marks will be under the names "Honda", "Suzuki", "Yamaha" and "Kawasaki".

Voila! You have discovered the true meaning of the work "Junk". That's what you find in junkyards after all.
A friend of mine used to be part owner in a lil' "junkyard" that was chock-full of H-D, Triumph, etc - as well as old cars, from as far back as post-war. Then he got sick of it sitting, and sold it for scrap back in the '80s. Right before that shyte was "worth" anything.

Now, you'll be lucky to find even "Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha........" or whatever, in ANY yard.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #104
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
A friend of mine used to be part owner in a lil' "junkyard" that was chock-full of H-D, Triumph, etc - as well as old cars, from as far back as post-war. Then he got sick of it sitting, and sold it for scrap back in the '80s. Right before that shyte was "worth" anything.

Now, you'll be lucky to find even "Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha........" or whatever, in ANY yard.
That's also an era where you didn't have to pay 50% of new value for rusty old parts and you could still get new parts at reasonable costs.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #105
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
That's also an era where you didn't have to pay 50% of new value for rusty old parts and you could still get new parts at reasonable costs.
Back when "aftermarket parts" meant Santee frames and the Jammer catalog?..........Maybe that new S&S place?.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 12-28-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #106
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Back when "aftermarket parts" meant Santee frames and the Jammer catalog?
D&D! AEE! Nothing but the best accessories for our iron horses.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #107
roadhamr
Registered Member

Quote:
Someone jumps in calling HDs junk. Which only exposes their ignorance."

I just want to go on the record that I never said this, although it is pretty much 'spot on'.
Maybe if you quit hating freedom Seru, you might be right once in a while. Consider it.
who exactly in this thread referred to harley's as junk? certainly not me. i did however say that the victory was technically superior to the harley. i dont think this is a very difficult pill to swallow. harley could care less about being technically superior to anyone. they sell heritage and tradition. they do it better than we have ever seen before. the honest truth when one compares motorcycles still should be stated in a plain way.
the junkyards are full of japanese bikes because they dont have parts that are compatible with other models over 40 years. japanese bikes trade on technology and once it has been surpassed the bike goes to the wayside. you wont find many in junkyards because of the previous years prices on aluminum. i personnally broke down about 25 old japanese bikes for their aluminum and steel over the last couple of years.
longride thinks victory's are ugly. that is his opinion and he stated it plainly. good enough. he did however then go on a defensive rant protecting the motor company. this isnt very helpful in any discussion.
i hope we can get back to the topic and discuss it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #108
roadhamr
Registered Member

Quote:
"Roadhamr brings up valid points without demonizing those who have different viewpoints."

And I brought up pleny of valid points without demonizing anyone either. So what. Then again, this quote isn't so cool eh?

"i know now you disguise your ignorance of all things outside of the harley sphere with crap like that."

" His recollection of the development of the GL1800 might not be spot on.."

Not 'spot on'?? How about 'completely and utterly wrong'?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the thread really needs to die. It stopped being interesting about 3 days ago.
longride what is so wrong about my recollection of the development of the gl1800. i would love to hear your version. i dont think you know anything about anything that isnt harley related. i was in a honda dealership situation as a manager for quite a few years and have spent alot of years in the motorcycle business so if you would like to discuss the business i would be more than game.
stop talking out of both sides of your face and come up with something useful for the forum.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #109
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

How exactly is seamless closed loop EFI, Catalyitic converters, Brembo ABS, air suspension, throttle by wire, six speed transmissions, electronic cruise control, virtually maintenance free engineering, best in the business paint, chrome, fit and finish, tubeless radials and an unlimited 2 year warranty "technologically inferior" to anyone?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #110
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:

Dont agree, sorry Seruzawa the Japanese are after technology and rarely worry themselves with parts that are interchangable for the bikes they built way back when.

Harley has cornered the market with that concept which is fine and also the reason I probably will never own a Harley.

As a customer I want more than just interchangable parts from 1940. I want technology, more than what Harley offers. Truthfully I dont think they are junk, nor the Japanese bikes. They are just two different methods to building motorcycles. Sure Harley has alot of technology now, but the Japanese are usually the first ones with that technology.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 12-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Closed Thread