Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Curious what your read, LR. Got a link?

No links really, but just reading chit-chat on different internet boards. I figured if it was on the internet it must be true!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #42
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Thanks for the write up. Cranking wheelies in the rain. You madman!

The new Z looks like a great do it all bike. Unfortunately, to date the American market does not seem to "get" this type of motorcycle and it is their loss. Thank goodness for our friends in Europe. If not for them, this type of bike would probably not exist.

As a 3 year FZ1 owner, I can say that a bike like this new Z with it's potent performance, sharp handling and comfortable ergos is an absolute joy to own. I ride up to 400 miles on a good day in the twisty Colorado mountains. We have serious "Duc Packs" here. These people don't fool around. Sometimes out there in the great beyond, I will fall in and play with the Ducs. The FZ1 has enough power and handling on tap, it can hang, and yet unlike those Ducs which certainly are fast as hell and very cool, it is comfortable to ride all day. This new Z looks good for it too. Sometimes, given the speed ramp up that sometimes occurs when I arrive, I think it pisses off those Ducs to see me right in their mirrors though. Juvenile, illegal and all too fun. Screw 'em if they can't handle a lowly "standard" in their presence

No doubt if a PCIII with a proper map is added with a full exhaust system and a K&N and possible airbox mods (Kawi usually has very good airboxes though), another 15-25 hp awaits through the Z's midrange and top end. Those mods lifted the entire power curve up on my FZ1, culminating at 148 to 150 hp at the rear wheel and a vastly more aggressive and fun riding experience. If this Z were mine, it would get a full Akra system, PCIII and probably a Penske shock, but I do that to all my bikes.

In fact, Ivan's Performance dyno runs show Ivan's personal modded FZ1 exactly matching a stock '06 ZX10's curve to 10,000 rpm. The ZX keeps going after that of course, but still, pretty impressive. I bet this new Z is likely similar. These "standard" bikes tend to be more corked up than their racier cousins it seems, but the power is there, waiting to be unleashed. Even the torquey but sedate Bandit 1250 makes silly amounts of power once Dale Walker has his way with it. Real no BS liter class power with comfy sit up riding position, good handling, distinctive looks, and a comparatively reasonable price is a winner in my book. It is a no brainer to buy this musclebound Z and it's accessible right now power instead of a high strung 600cc sport bike, assuming equal price. Of course more people than not will pass the Z right by and get 600s. Oh well, their loss.

The only functional flaw I see with the new Z is the 4 gallon gas tank. Seems a bit limiting. I like to go at least 150 miles when I am moderately on it and my FZ1's 4.6 gal tank is on the verge of being marginal. Sometimes the area is remote, the curves are sublime, the scenery is awesome, the cops are somewhere else and this rider does not want have to feather the throttle to make it the next gas station

Kevin, if you liked this Z, you would dig my modded FZ1. Nothing like the FZ getting all ornery and hitting the limiter at 12,250 rpm to wake me up in the morning I would not call my bike's powerband "lumpless" though. It cams up hard and 8,000 to 12,000 rpm is known as the "fun zone". Get Kawi to let you guys do a long termer and mod this thing. Good as it is stock, it is a Kawi after all, and Kawi is always about motor. I bet it wakes up and has a hard charging "fun zone" too. Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #43
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Thanks for the write up. Cranking wheelies in the rain. You madman!

The only functional flaw I see with the new Z is the 4 gallon gas tank. Seems a bit limiting. I like to go at least 150 miles when I am moderately on it and my FZ1's 4.6 gal tank is on the verge of being marginal. Sometimes the area is remote, the curves are sublime, the scenery is awesome, the cops are somewhere else and this rider does not want have to feather the throttle to make it the next gas station

Kevin, if you liked this Z, you would dig my modded FZ1. Get Kawi to let you guys do a long termer and mod this thing. Good as it is stock, it is a Kawi after all, and Kawi is always about motor. I bet it wakes up and has a hard charging "fun zone" too. Inquiring minds want to know...
The 4-gal tank is a drawback, especially for someone who has endless mountain roads to explore like yourself.

I'll bet I'd enjoy your Yammie out in the Rockies. Might have to do a wheelie...

Long-termer requested. Stay tuned.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #44
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:

Not sure about the readiness of a new DL1000, but it's possible.
No new Vee, they are faced with the impossible task of improving perfection.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #45
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
No new Vee, they are faced with the impossible task of improving perfection.

How's your seeing eye dog like it?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
How's your seeing eye dog like it?
Ken is right. That bike is perfection. They couldn't make it any uglier, so they should just leave it as is.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #47
AlphaZed
Registered Member

As a former, generation 1 Z1000 owner, this is a HUGE breath of fresh air!!! Gen1 and 2 Z1000's were slugs, with lousy suspension and brakes. This 2010 model has great potential!

No, it's not the "naked ZX10" we all were hoping for, but nonetheless, a step in the right direction! Kudos Kawasaki!
AlphaZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #48
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZed View Post
As a former, generation 1 Z1000 owner, this is a HUGE breath of fresh air!!! Gen1 and 2 Z1000's were slugs, with lousy suspension and brakes. This 2010 model has great potential!

No, it's not the "naked ZX10" we all were hoping for, but nonetheless, a step in the right direction! Kudos Kawasaki!
Kudos are deserved. Stay tuned to find out how the new Z stacks up against the streetfighter icon Speed Triple in an upcoming shootout!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #49
AlphaZed
Registered Member

Quote:
Kudos are deserved. Stay tuned to find out how the new Z stacks up against the streetfighter icon Speed Triple in an upcoming shootout!
COOL! I'll be watching! Can you throw a Duc Streetfighter in the mix too?
AlphaZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #50
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZed View Post
COOL! I'll be watching! Can you throw a Duc Streetfighter in the mix too?
Nope! Wrong price and too much power. Here's the short version: The Ducati SF is more animalistic than the Z1000 and S3, making it more fun but more exhausting machine for the streets. If you want to embarrass pure sportbikes at a track day, the ranking would be SF, Z, S3.