Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #31
A Star Ride
Registered Member

my 14 gig internet speed is a AOL dial up clone
my avalanche is a model T Ford clone
my cellphone is a clone of whatever Alexander Graham Bell really intended
my climate controled house is a cave clone
my plastic cup is a "Im going down to the river for a drink of water" clone
my email, TXT messaging and IM's are Pony Express clones
my heated matress pad awaiting me is a 3 dog night clone
my Royal Star Tour Deluxe is a Road King clone

I kinda like the progress I've seen

Last edited by A Star Ride : 12-04-2009 at 06:55 AM.
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #32
A Star Ride
Registered Member

this is a clone/wannabee message board too
Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
roadhamr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"dude get out of the house more!"

Here we go again. Just want everyone to note I didn't start this one.

"well the image in the rear view mirror keeps on getting bigger and it aint the mirror pally boy."

Really? Where did you get that impression? Reality check.

Victory Motorcycles Sales Down 56% - Cruiser Industry News - Motorcycle USA

"i dont know why you would get upset it can only make harley make a better bike.''

What would I exactly be 'upset' about by pointing out that Polaris has just made two very obvious copies of Harleys? They don't sell for crap because everyone knows what they are. Polaris even mentions Harley in it's ads. The one that seems upset is you. If you want to ride a Harley copy, please do so. No skin off my ass. Just realize exactly what it is, and why it is. Me pointing out the truth hardly qualifies as being 'upset'. And just to prove I'm a fair guy, I actually think the Vision is only the second ugliest bike ever made. How's that for fairness?
dont hide behind that crap longride you know what you said and you know how you intended it so now is not the time to be sheepish. go buy a hyabusa? are we in grade 2? victory sales went down 56% in a time when the economy is in the tank.
harley did not invent the motorcycle or even very many of its designs and concepts so everyone is copying everyone. the victory is a hands down technically superior bike. there is no argument to that at all.
it is great you feel the need to defend your beloved motor company so vehemently but i am offering an unbiased critique based on hands on experience and over 17 years in the motorcycle industry.
i look at all bikes the same they are merely a sum of their parts and everyone builds good ones but some are better than others at some things. it is hard to hold a candle to harley fit and finish it is second to none. but in terms of technological leaps there have been few. victory is an american motorcycle manufaturer that is building bikes for the people who like harleys but who are not satisfied with them performance wise. there is lots of room in the market for everyone.
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #34
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
my 14 gig internet speed is a AOL dial up clone
my avalanche is a model T Ford clone
my cellphone is a clone of whatever Alexander Graham Bell really intended
my climate controled house is a cave clone
my plastic cup is a "Im going down to the river for a drink of water" clone
my email, TXT messaging and IM's are Pony Express clones
my heated matress pad awaiting me is a 3 dog night clone
my Royal Star Tour Deluxe is a Road King clone

I kinda like the progress I've seen
Nicely said.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
dont hide behind that crap longride you know what you said and you know how you intended it so now is not the time to be sheepish. go buy a hyabusa? are we in grade 2? victory sales went down 56% in a time when the economy is in the tank.
harley did not invent the motorcycle or even very many of its designs and concepts so everyone is copying everyone. the victory is a hands down technically superior bike. there is no argument to that at all.
it is great you feel the need to defend your beloved motor company so vehemently but i am offering an unbiased critique based on hands on experience and over 17 years in the motorcycle industry.
i look at all bikes the same they are merely a sum of their parts and everyone builds good ones but some are better than others at some things. it is hard to hold a candle to harley fit and finish it is second to none. but in terms of technological leaps there have been few. victory is an american motorcycle manufaturer that is building bikes for the people who like harleys but who are not satisfied with them performance wise. there is lots of room in the market for everyone.
Wow! 17 years!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #36
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ummm...exactly who would Harley be copying?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #37
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default This maybe?

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonl...6/Carb_600.jpg

Indian produced the first US Built V Twin motorcycle in 1905, a board-track racer.

Harley's first V Twin was 1909.

So who's copying who?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #38
roadhamr
Registered Member

alot of harley's design ideas come from customizers not from their own design teams. they see and idea go out and buy it bring it back disect it and make it mass produceable. everyone copies everyone. the fat boy is a fine example and it was born in montreal. i am not putting down harley. their product makes alot of people happy. that is great. just dont make it more than it is. harleys on papaer often lose comparisons and still gain huge points when the seat of the pants comparison happens. they do what they do well. that is how and why they survive. but they have limitations. the victory is focusing on the same marketplace as the harley but those who want a bit more technology and performance. and not just in a straight line. the victoy's handle very well for the kind of bikes that they are. that is all i am saying.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #39
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Brissette View Post
For 2010 ABS is available on the Vision. I think the point in the article you were concurring with was that making ABS as an available option on the new Cross Country and/or Cross Roads would've been a prudent idea.

Thanks.
Thinks for the info, Pete. No, the point I was making is that I think they should have originally developed the Vision with ABS, not wait until 2010 to deploy it. And yes, would be a nice option on the Cross X bikes too.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #40
roadhamr
Registered Member

with larger heavier bikes abs is a very nice thing to have. i have ridden lots of bikes with and without and i like abs. the new systems are especially good but even the older honda and bmw systems were not bad. on smaller lighter sport bikes i am not sure it is as neccesary but certainly the larger heavier touring bikes can sure use it.