Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2010 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13727)

seruzawa 11-22-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 228635)
I'm not quite delusional enough to ascribe sentient feelings to inanimate objects however I do enjoy a great deal of pleasure from and a feeling of connectedness to my motorcycles.

You've worked with boilers how long and you still believe they aren't sentient?

sarnali2 11-22-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228637)

They do seem to have a mind of their own, not above being a total pain in the ass at times

Kenneth_Moore 11-23-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 228633)
They are machines they dont give a damn about us they are mass produced, they are tangible property and don't have feelings and can be replaced.

What is life?

You're missing an entire realm of conciousness that I hope someday you encounter. Native Americans believe there are spirits in the mountains, in rivers, even vegetation. It doesn't seem such a stretch to me that I've developed spiritual relationships with many "inanimate" objects over the years, ranging from a camping cot that hated me and bit me every chance it got to the sailboat I lived on and sailed throughout the Carribean on for years. That boat saw things no boat should ever have survived, and kept me safe and sound. My '77 Harley has a very real personality; if that thing isn't "alive" I don't know what is. The day I sold it it puked on me. Even the new VStrom is developing a personality as it ages.

sarnali2 11-23-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228637)

We had an intermittent boiler trip this summer that was a real hair puller, I finally traced it back to a 13,800/480 transformer that was putting out 493 volts, this in turn was causing the 480/120 control power transformer to put out 131 volts (4~1 ratio) which in turn was overheating our 120v low water cutout relay and causing it to trip once or twice a day. The fun part was it recorded as a main flame failure so I had to go through all the gas, ignition and firing controls with a fine tooth comb before I found it. I swear the SOB was laughing at me the whole time.....

Buzglyd 11-23-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 228652)
We had an intermittent boiler trip this summer that was a real hair puller, I finally traced it back to a 13,800/480 transformer that was putting out 493 volts, this in turn was causing the 480/120 control power transformer to put out 131 volts (4~1 ratio) which in turn was overheating our 120v low water cutout relay and causing it to trip once or twice a day. The fun part was it recorded as a main flame failure so I had to go through all the gas, ignition and firing controls with a fine tooth comb before I found it. I swear the SOB was laughing at me the whole time.....

Man, you really earned your puffy hat that day!

sarnali2 11-23-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 228653)
Man, you really earned your puffy hat that day!

Puffy Hat Hell, a few more like that and I'll have my striped coveralls and big white coffee mug!!!

User Name 11-27-2009 04:25 AM

2010 vivid black/black ice pearl ultra limited

bought one 11/7/09,put 1900 miles on it in mn...nice machine, is it worth the G.questionable.have owned 16-17 hds, 20 plus other assorted flavors.all had their attributes. for me , hd just fits.love english bikes but they are maintenance intensive. ie; valve adj, chain adj.motorcycles are not idols or garage orniments. i ride em..thats what mc's are made for.flhtk is a beautiful bike.to me, seems like materials have cheap quality compared to older model hds.i t/i 2 bikes plus some cash for bike.01 ultra, 02 t-bird. if had to do over, probally wouldn't.but if buying new ultra,would buy flhtk.better value .

sarnali2 11-27-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 228825)
bought one 11/7/09,put 1900 miles on it in mn...nice machine, is it worth the G.questionable.have owned 16-17 hds, 20 plus other assorted flavors.all had their attributes. for me , hd just fits.love english bikes but they are maintenance intensive. ie; valve adj, chain adj.motorcycles are not idols or garage orniments. i ride em..thats what mc's are made for.flhtk is a beautiful bike.to me, seems like materials have cheap quality compared to older model hds.i t/i 2 bikes plus some cash for bike.01 ultra, 02 t-bird. if had to do over, probally wouldn't.but if buying new ultra,would buy flhtk.better value .

I think the FLHT is a better bargain myself. I can get a trunk if I need to haul more than the standard bags or add a radio and lowers and still come out way ahead on a lighter bike. I've never found my '08 underpowered even hauling ass through the mountains, I just twist the loud handle a little more.