Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Basement as storage / shop ? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/13710-basement-storage-shop.html)

Buzglyd 11-19-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228463)
Does your having a full garage mean that the laundry appliances are kept on your front porch?

Right next to the deep freeze.

A Star Ride 11-19-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 228459)
That guy isn't me.

Yeah, well the chances are pretty slim that anything will occur. And having a small vent near the ground to the outside would remove the danger of fumes. However if he does have a fire the insurance company will not pay off and the city will write him a fat citation, plus he will be liable for any damages if the fire spreads onto others' property. I will guarantee you that local codes do not allow him to store fueled vehicles in the house proper.

Just make sure that you don't use hollowpoint ammunition against those bears. It tends to flatten on the skin. I recommend .44 300gr Sierra bear busters. don't leave home without them.

find me a legitimate news story where an insurance company refused a death or damage claim based on gasoline stored indoors, or a lawsiut where anyone was held negligent for doing so & Ill find 2 neighbour that do it with you in their blast zone.

I dont dobut Mythbusters could farricate the sutuation you described but thats like saying every cigatette thrown out a window causes a forest fire.... one could, however its a 1 in a million chance

MOKE1K 11-19-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdaljr (Post 228352)
Hey guys, I have some questions about leaving my motorcycle in the basement for the winter. I do not have a garage, just a shed with no heat that I have stored it for the past 2 years, and obviously I have not been happy with the results. This year my bike needs some work, that I would like to tinker on through the winter, and it would be ideal for me to have it in the basement to do that. I know for normal storage I would drain the tank and remove the battery to start and keep it charged through the off season, but since I plan to work on it, and even start it on occasion, would it be ok to leave it in tact, with fuel in it? It will be tempature controlled obviously, but do I have anything to worry about with gas vapors? My home heating unit is located in a seperate laundry room that is fully walled off from where the bike would be. I can open 4 basement windows for ventilation, but would that even be needed other then when starting? I do not plan to ever run the bike in the basement for long, but would 2-3 minutes be any problem for testing it?

Thanks for your help.
Al

I stored multiple bikes in my apartments aswell and always had some type of fuel vapor smell. I would just live with the smell back then because I had no other choice.
Expect a strong distinct smell of fuel. I would just purchase a remote fuel jug with a pet**** shut off valve. Problem solved! Now all you have to do is figure out how you'll get the bike down the stairs?

sarnali2 11-19-2009 12:20 PM

Getting it down the stairs is easy, it's getting it back up that's hard.

sarnali2 11-19-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 228464)
Right next to the deep freeze.

beside the toilet full of weed plants?

seruzawa 11-19-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 228468)
find me a legitimate news story where an insurance company refused a death or damage claim based on gasoline stored indoors, or a lawsiut where anyone was held negligent for doing so & Ill find 2 neighbour that do it with you in their blast zone.

I dont dobut Mythbusters could farricate the sutuation you described but thats like saying every cigatette thrown out a window causes a forest fire.... one could, however its a 1 in a million chance

You guys are funny. Do what you want. Storing gasoline in your house is not a very smart thing to do no matter how many people do it or how seldom a house explodes. I'm a libertarian. I think of it as evolution in action.

And I'll bet that there's already enough gunpowder stored in my neighborhood to take out most of the city. This is Utah after all. LOL!

The_AirHawk 11-19-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 228476)
beside the toilet full of weed plants?

No, that's what the painted Tractor Tires are for, man! Don't you pay attention at your local *RNHOA Meetings?

*(Red Neck Home-Owners Association)