Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 250cc Streetbike Shootout

Original Article:
2009 250cc Streetbike Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 250cc Streetbike Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Nice tests...but I had to notice every bike weighed well over 300 lbs.

Three hundred plus pounds for a 250 is, well, way too much. I guess I just don't get it, has technology taken a giant lurch backwards? Cast iron frames?

I mean jeez guys, my XL600 weighed 300 lbs. And that was too heavy for a six hundred dual sport. In 1983.

I know, just go away, don't bother us....
Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post

Three hundred plus pounds for a 250 is, well, way too much. I guess I just don't get it, has technology taken a giant lurch backwards? Cast iron frames?

I mean jeez guys, my XL600 weighed 300 lbs. And that was too heavy for a six hundred dual sport. In 1983.

Yikes. My '70 Kwacker 650 weighed about 450. My '71 Yam R5 weighed about 350 wet. A CB77 weighed about 350. Notice that the scooter thingie they tested weighed 400!!

Must be adding lead ballast inside the frame tubes for more of that road holding weight.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yikes. My '70 Kwacker 650 weighed about 450. My '71 Yam R5 weighed about 350 wet. A CB77 weighed about 350. Notice that the scooter thingie they tested weighed 400!!

Must be adding lead ballast inside the frame tubes for more of that road holding weight.
Yooz guys just don't get it. It's all that extra wiring and stuff makes these things heavy. Sheesh!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
hayser
Founding Member

Smile The weight?

I believe some weight could be in the catalytic converter and extras to help the bikes meet today's tough emission standards.
hayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post

Weight is bad, I agree, but it's not like manus try to make their bikes heavier than they need to be. It's all about cost. Light things cost extra. Cheap bikes weigh more.

BTW, Honda says its XR650L has a curb (not "dry" like the old days) of 346 lbs.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Is it just me, or is the perspective from this photo seem a bit off? Look at the concentricity of the front brake hub, rotor, and wheel.

BTW: All these look to be great fun. Too bad about the Johnny Pag - it seems as if they can address some of the "issues" it has (the electrical-short notwithstanding), it would be a real Winner in the Streetfighter category.

Interesting that as soon as Kawasaki updated their quarter-liter of Fury, that suddenly all these different bikes have come out of the woodwork to "do battle" with it. Kawi is still to be applauded for their efforts, in my mind. But I am glad to see some competition in this segment. There has been a dearth of decent "beginner's bikes" in this country for far, far too long.

Honda, Yamaha - what say You?

Ah, **** Honda. They make two or three bikes that are 1000%-better than the Rebel 250, but won't import them because.........well, they don't know WHY they won't import them. **** you, Honda.

Yamaha - let's see the YZF125 and 250. Keep the price under $4200, and you should do Fine.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
NLJ
Founding Member

The weight's sound like a lot when comparing to the latest 600cc supersport but they really aren't that heavy. Kevin hit the nail on the head though, these bikes are all built to a price point.

As far as weight goes, I'm guessing the FI GT250R weighs a few pounds more than the carbed GT250 Naked I used to have. The naked wasn't at all what you'd call heavy or cumbersome to ride. Fun little bike with a lot more motor than you'd expect after reading the dyno charts.

I had a lot of fun on that bike and do miss it from time to time...
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
hayser
Founding Member

Cool Good bikes to compare against the electric competition.

With Brammo and Zero picking up steam in the electric motorcycles, this would make a great comparison to one of these 250's. It could show the benefits of gas and electricity. Since they are basically aimed at the same market in some ways, Urban motorcycles.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
hayser
Founding Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

Is it just me, or is the perspective from this photo seem a bit off? Look at the concentricity of the front brake hub, rotor, and wheel.

BTW: All these look to be great fun. Too bad about the Johnny Pag - it seems as if they can address some of the "issues" it has (the electrical-short notwithstanding), it would be a real Winner in the Streetfighter category.

Interesting that as soon as Kawasaki updated their quarter-liter of Fury, that suddenly all these different bikes have come out of the woodwork to "do battle" with it. Kawi is still to be applauded for their efforts, in my mind. But I am glad to see some competition in this segment. There has been a dearth of decent "beginner's bikes" in this country for far, far too long.

Honda, Yamaha - what say You?

Ah, **** Honda. They make two or three bikes that are 1000%-better than the Rebel 250, but won't import them because.........well, they don't know WHY they won't import them. **** you, Honda.

Yamaha - let's see the YZF125 and 250. Keep the price under $4200, and you should do Fine.
Actually, Hyosung has been out quite a while with their 250's. The only major difference has been the introduction of EFI this year. They also make a naked 250 which is more comfortable and upright. I am glad that they have made more of this type. The Suzuki GZ 250, Honda Rebel 250, and Yamaha Virago 250 are physically very small bikes and is hard for larger individuals to learn on.