Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Triumph Sprint ST Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/13604-2009-triumph-sprint-st-review.html)

Administrator 11-06-2009 12:24 PM

2009 Triumph Sprint ST Review

Original Article:
2009 Triumph Sprint ST Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Triumph Sprint ST Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 11-06-2009 02:18 PM

Huzzah!

Although I prefer the older ('02 - '04) version.

The only 'negative' of any import is that the ST has always been delivered with spring rates intended for riders up to 180-ish pounds.

So, if you tend toward the 'Holy Moly! It's coming towards us!' end of the ergonomic, you'll be wanting stiffer springs fore and aft.

I can't think of a bike I'd rather have than my '03 ST!

Dr_Sprocket 11-06-2009 05:59 PM

The Sprint ST is certainly a nice bike, and it was on my "whittle list" before I bought the Uly. Perhaps one of these might be in my future.

jmdonald 11-06-2009 07:06 PM

Fresh Perspective

Thanks for the Fresh Perspective on this bike. This one is on my possible list. Anything under 15 large and less than 600 lbs.would be icing on the cake.

Duken4evr 11-06-2009 07:54 PM

The Triumph ST is the best bike I have never ridden.

Definitely it would be the one when I am ready for the ST class of motorcyle. The triple underseat exhaust is just too cool also. Quite the comparative bargain as well.

All the other ST bikes are just more than I want. The Triumph fits the bill. Maybe someday.

The_AirHawk 11-07-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 227751)
The Triumph ST is the best bike I have never ridden.

Definitely it would be the one when I am ready for the ST class of motorcyle. The triple underseat exhaust is just too cool also. Quite the comparative bargain as well.

All the other ST bikes are just more than I want. The Triumph fits the bill. Maybe someday.

Funny, I always thought of the FZ1/FZ6 as sorta "Sport-Tour-ie" typee bikes, me ownslef.

Duken4evr 11-07-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 227762)
Funny, I always thought of the FZ1/FZ6 as sorta "Sport-Tour-ie" typee bikes, me ownslef.

The FZ1 leans sharply toward sport. Of course that was not good enough for a loon like me. Mine is modded and wears a Penske shock, full Akra exhaust and a PCIII / ign module combo. Power comes on hard at 8,000 rpm and it runs like a train to the 12,250 limiter with about 150 hp on tap. The rev happy '04 to '06 R1 heritage comes through when you uncork an FZ1.

It is a fairly comfy sharp handling heart attack with a handlebar and my idea of Sport Touring. I love the damn thing :D

sliphorn 11-07-2009 09:45 PM

I recently picked up a minty '06 Sprint ST. It's a superb machine that does everything quite well. And that motor! I love that motor!

However, the headlights absolutely suck for night riding and the so called improvements to them for the '08 model year did little if anything to help night riding.

You basically are riding blind at night when the bike is leaned over. That's my only real beef with the bike. Triumph engineers really ought to be ashamed of designing such pizz-poor headlights. Some after market motolights are in my future because I plan on keeping the bike for a good long time.

BTW, heated grips are a Triumph option; I have 'em on mine. I hope the next generation Sprint doesn't get all whiz bang high tech like some of the competition. Long Live Triumph!

tripleripple 11-07-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 227775)

It is a fairly comfy sharp handling heart attack with a handlebar and my idea of Sport Touring. I love the damn thing :D

I love sentences like that. Well done, Duken4evr.

Before I went Buell, I was a Triumph owner (Thunderbird...not a good first bike, but whatevs.). This setup looks great but I'm probably getting a Tiger as my next bike. Same motor, upright ergos, some light offroad capabilities...just seems more practical.

Duken4evr 11-08-2009 07:16 AM

I almost bought a new Tiger when shopping the FZ1. The FZ is a fairly unloved bike and the dealer let it go for 8.4K OTD. I could not pass that up.

Maybe next time. I will own a triumph triple someday. Life is long, I will get around to it :)