Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/13507-2010-kawasaki-concours-14-review.html)

Administrator 10-29-2009 11:14 AM

2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review

Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 10-29-2009 02:04 PM

Nice write up!

Sounds like they have put a nice bit of polish on an already nice machine.

Kenneth_Moore 10-29-2009 02:14 PM

$14,599 for the base model is about a grand more than before isn't it? A hefty increase for a new storage bin and reshaped fairings.

There's a new member on Stromtrooper.com, his opening post is "Sold my C-14 and got a Vee, the Concours is not the bike for me." Interesting....

mscuddy 10-29-2009 03:57 PM

But...uh...wasn't there ANYTHING wrong with it? Forks too soft on compression damping? Weight? Gas mileage? No EZ Leaker?

Oh wait, sounds like my old KZ750 is running on two cylinders outside!? Hah hah, have to go. They always seek the truth...Making that awful popping noise...hahhaha get out yer wallet!

Pete_Brissette 10-29-2009 04:51 PM

No, kinda not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 227124)
But...uh...wasn't there ANYTHING wrong with it? Forks too soft on compression damping? Weight? Gas mileage? No EZ Leaker?

Since nothing about the bike (other than the amenities, bodywork updates that I commented on, new ABS and traction control) has really changed, this was more a review of the new add-ons, etc.

The suspension seemed fine to me over various road surfaces and the weight apparently hasn't changed. And when was the last time you saw a fuel economy report from a new model intro? I've been on seemingly countless new model intros and maybe once had a chance to refuel and check mpg.

If yer lookin' for a critique of the core bike, go thumb through the 2008 intro report or this year's Sport Touring Shootout.

:cool:

Pete_Brissette 10-29-2009 05:08 PM

Not a good time to be a Yen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 227122)
$14,599 for the base model is about a grand more than before isn't it? A hefty increase for a new storage bin and reshaped fairings.

An $1,100 increase to be exact. All Japanese brands raised MSRPs on various models regardless of the degree of updates. Last year (2009), too. The 2009 GSX-R600 went up $1,000 for no apparent reason.

It's expected to continue.

GS1100GK 10-29-2009 07:36 PM

Nice review guys.

I own a 2009 ABS C-14 and love it. Heat? Yes, but bearable as long as you do not ride in shorts!

2010 Features I like are:

Taller windscreen
Heated grips
Raised Mirrors
Smaller exhaust can!
Handle bar mounted mode switch
Ambient air temp is OK
Improved tires! 08-09 'stones were terrible...running Conti Road Attack now

Things I'm not sure about yet:
Improved heat management...we will see
Necessity of the 2 stage ABS K-ACT system
Traction control
ECO mode...I get low 40's now with a judicious right wrist

One issue I have found with the 08-09 bike that was never mentioned is this. In cold weather I raise the windshield up to the max point for better cold air protection on my chest. When doing that, I create a 4" opening for cold air to hit directly on my hands since the base of the windscreen has raised 4". In cold weather after about 30 miles the cold makes it's way past my PolarTex gloves. Not good. I wonder if the raised mirrors will help this or not? I purchase a set of Hand Wings to deflect the air way and that seems to work well.

GS1100GK 10-29-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_Brissette (Post 227132)
An $1,100 increase to be exact. All Japanese brands raised MSRPs on various models regardless of the degree of updates. Last year (2009), too. The 2009 GSX-R600 went up $1,000 for no apparent reason.

It's expected to continue.

Blame the exchage rate for most of this. The dollar is pretty weak these days, especially to the yen.

sarnali2 10-29-2009 08:38 PM

Hell I'll take one. Talk about history repeating itself. In 1986 I had a choice between the HD FXRT, then new Concourse and BMW K100RS, that time I picked the BMW.

Fast forward to 2008 and I'm between a Connie 14, K1300GT and FLHT, this time I picked the HD.. Maybe next time I'll score a Connie

briangorrell 10-29-2009 10:25 PM

I recently test road a BMW K1300GT for several hours and was just about ready to create a new payment! Then, I starting hearing about the newest Connie - must see it person!!! Does anyone know if it will be at the Cycle World Show?