Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I like the bike.....hate the color. I doubt it would have killed Kawi to have more than one color option.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I like the bike.....hate the color. I doubt it would have killed Kawi to have more than one color option.
Yeah, what's up with that? It's a damn expensive bike, you should get at least a couple of choices. The Strom has 2 or 3 color choices each year, and costs considerably less.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yeah, what's up with that? It's a damn expensive bike, you should get at least a couple of choices. The Strom has 2 or 3 color choices each year, and costs considerably less.
Noticed yesterday they are doing that with a few models.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Test Ride

I had a good test ride recently on a 2009 dealer demo unit. Rode it solo for about 20 miles and doubled the wife for another 10 miles. Bottom line, I liked it. She didn't. She found the passenger pegs are mounted too far back. Also, there was a top box mounted and although it was adjusted as far to the rear as possible, it was still too close. And the top box mount wasn't solid enough, flexing somewhat when you leaned against it. I thought it rode fairly well on a rough road. She felt it was too harsh. We didn't get a chance to make any adjustments to the suspension. Maybe backing off the preload would have helped a bit. This bike had the optional Kawasaki gel seat mounted. She felt the seat was too hard. Sheesh!!

I'm interested in all the updates Kawasaki has done for the 2010 model. I'm still considering purchasing this bike. It just won't serve as a two-up mount as I had hoped. I guess we'll have to keep the Cavalcade.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRWolf View Post
I had a good test ride recently on a 2009 dealer demo unit. Rode it solo for about 20 miles and doubled the wife for another 10 miles. Bottom line, I liked it. She didn't. She found the passenger pegs are mounted too far back. Also, there was a top box mounted and although it was adjusted as far to the rear as possible, it was still too close. And the top box mount wasn't solid enough, flexing somewhat when you leaned against it. I thought it rode fairly well on a rough road. She felt it was too harsh. We didn't get a chance to make any adjustments to the suspension. Maybe backing off the preload would have helped a bit. This bike had the optional Kawasaki gel seat mounted. She felt the seat was too hard. Sheesh!!

I'm interested in all the updates Kawasaki has done for the 2010 model. I'm still considering purchasing this bike. It just won't serve as a two-up mount as I had hoped. I guess we'll have to keep the Cavalcade.
You should read her that story about the Princess and the Pea.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #26
SquireJim
Founding Member

Default Connie Question...

Another great staff review, but I do have one question...Why is it that the sport-touring manufacturers completely eschew the idea of putting a stereo system of some sort on a spot-tourer? While I realize that this flies in the face of the "purist" mentality, most of us would at least enjoy the CHOICE of having an integrated music system on our rides. There's got to be a way to do it...Why noy?!

Jim
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireJim View Post
Another great staff review, but I do have one question...Why is it that the sport-touring manufacturers completely eschew the idea of putting a stereo system of some sort on a spot-tourer? While I realize that this flies in the face of the "purist" mentality, most of us would at least enjoy the CHOICE of having an integrated music system on our rides. There's got to be a way to do it...Why noy?!

Jim
Cuz it adds weight, cost, engineering and development. And what you'd probably be left with at highway speeds is barely audible music and dubious sound quality. IMO, these missiles already weigh too much. If music is mandatory, bring your iPod.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #28
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Cuz it adds weight, cost, engineering and development. And what you'd probably be left with at highway speeds is barely audible music and dubious sound quality. IMO, these missiles already weigh too much. If music is mandatory, bring your iPod.
Or, play your music through your GPS system earphones.

I've always thought the touring bike sound systems were a tremendous waste of effort. At any speed other than parked, you cannot hear any of them (with any clarity) worth a damn.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I've always thought the touring bike sound systems were a tremendous waste of effort. At any speed other than parked, you cannot hear any of them (with any clarity) worth a damn."

I would tend to disagree. The sound system on my E-Glide sounds just fine at anything under 70.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Or, play your music through your GPS system earphones.

I've always thought the touring bike sound systems were a tremendous waste of effort. At any speed other than parked, you cannot hear any of them (with any clarity) worth a damn.
My GL1100 has a stereo sound system. I couldn't hear it too well through my Arai even at a stand still. At freeway speeds it was impossible. It's sitting on the shelf now and will be reinstalled when I finally sell the GL. I guess they are designed for helmetless street riders.