Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfrules View Post
+1. You might want to edit your opening graf that states, "The obvious competitors are the big sport-touring machines we compared in our 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout: the ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki Concours 14 and BMW K1300GT." Why start a decent review off on the wrong foot...
The point I was making is that the four S-T bikes may seem like obvious competitors, but the VFR distinguishes itself by being more of a sportbike. I could've made that point clearer, but I blame 90 minutes of sleep and extreme jet lag.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #32
obandoj
Founding Member

Great write up Kevin, for somebody with your experience to be impressed by an automatic tranny in a motorcycle, it must be very good. I have been a fan of Hondas V4 engine since it's introduction in 1982/83, when I bought the original Interceptor, and have had a few of them, and never had a problem, and they get ridden hard.
The problem I see with the 1200 is the timing Honda picked for it's release, whith the economy the way it is. And they are getting farther and farther from the "sport" class.
I think I will keep my 2000 800i, and enjoy the sounds (small block v-8 and gear driven cams) and the all around capabilities and reliability it has.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #33
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by obandoj View Post
... for somebody with your experience to be impressed by an automatic tranny in a motorcycle, it must be very good.
I was thinking the very same thing.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #34
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by obandoj View Post
Great write up Kevin, for somebody with your experience to be impressed by an automatic tranny in a motorcycle, it must be very good.

The problem I see with the 1200 is the timing Honda picked for it's release, whith the economy the way it is. And they are getting farther and farther from the "sport" class.
I agree the current economy is bad timing for a high-end bike like this, and it would've sold much better had it been introduced two years ago. Keep in mind that the new VFR was in development at least three years ago when the financial climate was much rosier.

Regarding being further away from the sport class, Honda sees the new VFR buyer as a sportbiker who doesn't want the aggressive ergos of a pure sportbike. Their idea is that most sport riders have to travel a considerable amount of miles to get from their home to the best twisty roads, and the VFR makes those boring city/freeway miles as tolerable as possible for aging wrists and knees while still retaining a high level of sporting capability.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #35
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I was thinking the very same thing.
It is exceedingly good. Following my VFR ride, I was able to drive several sporty cars with dual-clutch transmissions. For the most part, they also worked really well, blipping the throttle nicely on downshifts. All but one pulled away cleanly from a stop, which is the area of greatest concern for a motorcycle. I hated the unsure response from the FJR-AE, but the VFR is perfect in that area.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #36
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsser View Post
?? It always has been, since its 750cc days.
You new about these parts, ain'tcha Mate?

Righto. See, the GMP (that's "Great Motorcycle Prophet") is the man what makes the Predictions of where the Moto-world is goin'. It's Buz's turn to be the GMP, so don't go leakin' in his campfire, 'K?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #37
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Their idea is that most sport riders have to travel a considerable amount of miles to get from their home to the best twisty roads, and the VFR makes those boring city/freeway miles as tolerable as possible for aging wrists and knees while still retaining a high level of sporting capability.

Fancy that, I just go to the end of my driveway and turn right...or left for that matter. Harder to find a straight road around here.....I mean, um...yeah..sure sucks here, all straight roads and traffic...oy vey did I mention the traffic????? I need a trials bike to ride on top of the cars there's so much..my tires last forever because thy never see asphalt, only car roofs.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
skipperc
Registered Member

Kevin, thanks for the great review. I thought I was about to buy a K1300GT when I read your review and a couple others about this bike. The sport tourer parked in my garage, no matter how sporty, still needs to handle two people, one 6'2" 240lb driver and a 5'7" 140lb pillion, very well about 80% of the time. You mentioned the bike is smaller than it looks in pictures, so......Should I wait and give this bike a look or just hand my funds over to my local BMW dealer now? Thanks for the input. No need to wait for the full on shootouts to come if it's just too small.
skipperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperc View Post
Kevin, thanks for the great review. I thought I was about to buy a K1300GT when I read your review and a couple others about this bike. The sport tourer parked in my garage, no matter how sporty, still needs to handle two people, one 6'2" 240lb driver and a 5'7" 140lb pillion, very well about 80% of the time. You mentioned the bike is smaller than it looks in pictures, so......Should I wait and give this bike a look or just hand my funds over to my local BMW dealer now? Thanks for the input. No need to wait for the full on shootouts to come if it's just too small.
That's a tough call, Skipperc. One potential advantage of the K13 is slightly more legroom than the VFR, which you might find beneficial. But the VFR is really impressive and has greater refinement than the Beemer. Stay tuned for a shootout between the two bikes in the next couple of week! In the meantime, check out the VFR's ergos at a Honda dealer and see if you find the peg-to-seat distance cramped.