Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Fit and Finish are Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The finish quality of the VFR is nicer than the ST1300. And it's way above the Sprint ST, which nonetheless is a bike I rate highly.
I have no problem spending a little extra for higher end components with that well engineered fit and finish thrown in. When you look at the real weight difference between the new VFR and the Sprint (a bike I also admire) it's not that much more. The dual clutch technology is very appealing. Good input from all contributors. You all provide an excellent sanity check.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #22
jsh1120
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1
Default

The VFR has always been the motorcycle version of Honda's Prelude, a test bed for new technology in the real world. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. The VFR1200 maintains that standard. And while I have one bike with carbs, not efi, and another with a half century old V-Twin pushrod engine design, I applaud Honda's efforts.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
rsser
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I like it. I predicted that one day the VFR would be a V4.
?? It always has been, since its 750cc days.
__________________
Cheers, Ern
Melbourne, Australia
rsser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The finish quality of the VFR is nicer than the ST1300. And it's way above the Sprint ST, which nonetheless is a bike I rate highly.

That's because the Sprint is what we call a "real " motorcycle, warts and all. You look at a Sprint and it says c'mon lets go, it's assembled by a bunch of Brits who probably had kippers for breakfast with their tea to settle thier stomachs after the 3 or 4 pints they had last night. They probably rode in to work on a few year old Sprint despite the fact that it's supposed to rain this afternoon and they have their eye on that bint who puts headlights on Street Triples thew next line over...

As opposed to Robot number 339-026 who assembled component AD87-2 on Motorcycle 887-9664/VFR . When I buy a TV or Washing machine I don't care who or what built it. When I buy a bike I want it hand built by someone who shares the same passion as me for motorcycles.Honda will never have that, the only Japanese motorcycle that comes close to the Euro or American level of passion is Suzuki, you know, the ones in front of every race here....
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
rsser
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Default

LOL.

I had an '04 Sprint and the finish was pretty ordinary and the reliability pretty poor. Enough failures in the first 30,000 km to sideline the bike in a way that happily you rarely see with Mr Honda's output.

Most of the Trumpy's parts are made in Thailand now by the way. Not kippers but carp for brekkie
__________________
Cheers, Ern
Melbourne, Australia
rsser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
the only Japanese motorcycle that comes close to the Euro or American level of passion is Suzuki, you know, the ones in front of every race here....
The same ones whose sales are sucking so bad they just laid off their PR dept. Nothing against Suzi, tho, as this recession has hit the bike industry hard.

BTW, I saw Hondas being built last week. Real people. Probably related to other Honda employees who concocted and built the 250-Six GP bike, the 750 Four and the RC30.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #27
rvfrules
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I can't wait to compare it to the BMW K1300S, it's only real direct competitor.
+1. You might want to edit your opening graf that states, "The obvious competitors are the big sport-touring machines we compared in our 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout: the ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki Concours 14 and BMW K1300GT." Why start a decent review off on the wrong foot...

Last edited by rvfrules : 10-29-2009 at 10:46 PM.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
As opposed to Robot number 339-026 who assembled component AD87-2 on Motorcycle 887-9664/VFR . When I buy a TV or Washing machine I don't care who or what built it. When I buy a bike I want it hand built by someone who shares the same passion as me for motorcycles.Honda will never have that, the only Japanese motorcycle that comes close to the Euro or American level of passion is Suzuki, you know, the ones in front of every race here....

I'll take the robot any day for predetermined, repetitive tasks like vehicle manufacturing. I understand the romantic appeal of having Old World Craftmanship applied to your bike, but I owned enough '60's and '70's British sports cars to be over it.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

My own experiance has been the exact opposite. The VFR and V65 Sabre I owned were plagued with electrical problems, both left me sitting on the side of the road a number of times. The Hinkley Triumphs I owned on the other hand were virtually bullet proof, the Trophy 1200 broke a speedo cable after about 40k and the T100 had no issues at all.

I agree the "old world craftsmanship" thing is over rated and realistically motorcycles are just machines anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter how they're built but I just don't feel the same connection to Japanese bikes, other than my Bandits that I do with my BMW's, Triumphs and Harleys. Who knows, it's difficult to find fault with Japanese products over all. Korean either for that matter..
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
My own experiance has been the exact opposite. The VFR and V65 Sabre I owned were plagued with electrical problems, both left me sitting on the side of the road a number of times. The Hinkley Triumphs I owned on the other hand were virtually bullet proof, the Trophy 1200 broke a speedo cable after about 40k and the T100 had no issues at all.

I agree the "old world craftsmanship" thing is over rated and realistically motorcycles are just machines anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter how they're built but I just don't feel the same connection to Japanese bikes, other than my Bandits that I do with my BMW's, Triumphs and Harleys. Who knows, it's difficult to find fault with Japanese products over all. Korean either for that matter..
There's nothing quite like having a Honda suck an intake valve while you are cruising at 75 to put a bit of a damper on the "Hondas are the best" attitude.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off