Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"But, from what I know thus far, I'd pick the DCT over the standard transmission if the price was equal. It won't be, but I couldn't be more impressed."

Holy Electronic Brain, Batman!
Are you serious about that Mr. Duke? Did Honda give you any Kool-Aide in a small paper cup? I guess if a rider of your experience would buy this setup, it really is a breakthrough. How long did it take you to stop grabbing for the clutch with your left hand and flailing for the shifter with your foot? I rode one automatic bike and did just that the whole time.

Is this the first MO review without a wheelie shot?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Hmmmm. I'm always interested in a sport tourer. Honda VFR1200 with 167hp. That's nice. I get impounded and sent to jail for doubling the speed limit around here, so I guess that much hp is moot. 600 pounds. That's nice. A Sprint ST's about 100 less. And about 8000 dollars less.

Tough choice. /sarc
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"But, from what I know thus far, I'd pick the DCT over the standard transmission if the price was equal. It won't be, but I couldn't be more impressed."

Holy Electronic Brain, Batman!
Are you serious about that Mr. Duke? Did Honda give you any Kool-Aide in a small paper cup? I guess if a rider of your experience would buy this setup, it really is a breakthrough. How long did it take you to stop grabbing for the clutch with your left hand and flailing for the shifter with your foot? I rode one automatic bike and did just that the whole time.

Is this the first MO review without a wheelie shot?
The DCT really is wonderful. Anyone who compares it to the FJR's auto system is entirely misguided, as they are completely different systems. I disliked the Yamaha's system.

In full auto mode, there is no need to think about shifting, so no need to think about the clutch lever or shifter. It really is a slick system.

And just because there were no wheelie shots doesn't mean there wasn't any wheelies! We'll make it up to you on the next one.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Hmmmm. I'm always interested in a sport tourer. Honda VFR1200 with 167hp. That's nice. I get impounded and sent to jail for doubling the speed limit around here, so I guess that much hp is moot. 600 pounds. That's nice. A Sprint ST's about 100 less. And about 8000 dollars less.

Tough choice. /sarc
So I sense some Honda hatin'?

Seems like half my forum posts are to correct misconceptions about weight. A fully fueled Sprint Sprint ST (albeit with saddlebags) weighs about 550 lbs. Add about 10 lbs for the VFR's bags (already with integrated mounts standard), and the Sprint is less than 50 lbs lighter.

Also, the ABS Sprint retails for $12,799, making it about $2200 cheaper than my estimate for the VFR with standard ABS. Not $8000 less.

So, the VFR isn't cheap and isn't light, but it's not as heavy and expensive as some make it out to be. Another factor in the equation is that the VFR is much nicer finished and has more premium components than its cheaper competition. If Honda was ever to put an Acura badge on a motorcycle, it would be this one.

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 10-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

It reminds me of my K, no wonder I'm growing to like it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
If Honda was ever to put an Acura badge on a motorcycle, it would be this one.
Oh yeah. Now I'll really want one.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
So I sense some Honda hatin'?
It seems like a lot of the gripes about the Honda are the same ones I've heard about Harley. Excessive weight and price in particular.

It will be very interesting to see what Mr. Duke is referring to with the quality of materials, fit and finish on this bike. Those were real issues for me when I was buying last time around; the ST just looked cheesy to me. The plastic looked cheap, the seams weren't snug, the bolts had that pot-metal look to them. There was a time when you bought Honda because it was clearly a superior product. It would be nice to see those days return.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

At first glance, it looks rather bulky (as compared to the previous versions). I'll reserve judgement until I see onw in person. Looks like Honda is going after the BMW buyers.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Looks like Honda is going after the BMW buyers.
That's my thought, too.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It seems like a lot of the gripes about the Honda are the same ones I've heard about Harley. Excessive weight and price in particular.

It will be very interesting to see what Mr. Duke is referring to with the quality of materials, fit and finish on this bike. Those were real issues for me when I was buying last time around; the ST just looked cheesy to me. The plastic looked cheap, the seams weren't snug, the bolts had that pot-metal look to them. There was a time when you bought Honda because it was clearly a superior product. It would be nice to see those days return.
The finish quality of the VFR is nicer than the ST1300. And it's way above the Sprint ST, which nonetheless is a bike I rate highly.