Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Chinese Motorcycle Show - Part 1 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/13289-2009-chinese-motorcycle-show-part-1-a.html)

Administrator 10-02-2009 03:29 PM

2009 Chinese Motorcycle Show - Part 1
 

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//events/2009-chinese-motorcycle-show-part-1-88775.html">2009 Chinese Motorcycle Show - Part 1</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Chinese Motorcycle Show - Part 1 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pplassm 10-03-2009 10:40 AM

What bikes were they on at the MX race? All Japanese? It'd be neat to see the Chinese try and develop a real off road bike.

Kevin_Duke 10-03-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 225266)
What bikes were they on at the MX race? All Japanese? It'd be neat to see the Chinese try and develop a real off road bike.

That was quite interesting to see. There was a mix of everything spread across indecipherable classes. One was an international class in which some foreign riders raced, and most of them had the typical YZs and CRs and KXs and RMs.

But the majority of bikes I saw were Chinese bikes, and most of those had air-cooled engines, many with twin rear shocks. There were even a few "racebikes" that still had taillights and passenger footpegs!

The overall speed of the riders wasn't very impressive. If I hadn't blown apart my ankle at Glen Helen years ago, I might have been able to podium a race in China.

The Shineray XY250GY-2 "X2" bikes looked the most up to date, with their l-c 250cc motors and disc brakes at both ends. But it seems like its motor is simply a retuned Honda NX250 engine, so it's still not up to contemporary American standards for power and weight.

Kenneth_Moore 10-03-2009 03:21 PM

Do you think the Chinese will have the same kind of manufacturer shakeout that occured most everywhere else, where the dozens (or more) of builders at the opening of the industry merge and aquire themselves into 3 or 4? I suspect that until they start getting some of the benefits of scale, the Chinese are going to find it difficult to compete on anything other than price with the rest of the world.

Selling bikes because they're dirt cheap isn't going to work in the US, and probably not any other 1st world nation. We don't buy bikes for basic cheap transportation (with a few rare exceptions), we buy bikes for fun and sport. Our market demands quality; it was quality breakthroughs that made Honda's success. They wouldn't have sold hundreds of thousands of CB 750's if they'd been unreliable and leaked oil.

Kevin_Duke 10-03-2009 03:50 PM

Yes, I suspect there will be a gradual shake-out of Chinese manus which don't compete in terms of quality. Personal wealth and discretionary income among the Chinese are rising rapidly. Consumers who previously bought based on price are evolving into buyers who are demanding quality and technology. It was a big topic of discussion while I was there.

A mega corporation of sorts is already happening. China South Industry Group is a state-run enterprise that has some of China's biggest names under its umbrella, including Jialing, Jianshe, Qingqi, Dayang brands, and joint venture enterprises of Jialing-Honda, Jianshe-Yamaha, Qingqi-Suzuki, Qingqi-Peugeot. They are operated independently, but CSI can coordinate their activities. CSI also has cooperative deals with Ford, Visteon, TRW and IBM.

seruzawa 10-03-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 225276)
Do you think the Chinese will have the same kind of manufacturer shakeout that occured most everywhere else, where the dozens (or more) of builders at the opening of the industry merge and aquire themselves into 3 or 4? I suspect that until they start getting some of the benefits of scale, the Chinese are going to find it difficult to compete on anything other than price with the rest of the world.

Selling bikes because they're dirt cheap isn't going to work in the US, and probably not any other 1st world nation. We don't buy bikes for basic cheap transportation (with a few rare exceptions), we buy bikes for fun and sport. Our market demands quality; it was quality breakthroughs that made Honda's success. They wouldn't have sold hundreds of thousands of CB 750's if they'd been unreliable and leaked oil.

Maybe, but I tell ya Kymco is selling a boatload of ATVs to the rural working class here in Utah. The salesman at Vesco's said that the ranchers and farmers are looking at all the ATVs and opting for the Kymcos. They give the same features as the Japanese brands for $1K less and have a better warranty. The Japanese better watch it. 'Course Kymco is Taiwan Chinese not the murdering mainland thug Chinese.

skadamo 10-03-2009 07:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the coverage of CIMA! Can't wait for your next article. BTW, there is a guy working on importing the Shineray's to UK. No US importer that I know of yet.

The UK importer has been posting information here...
X2 | XY250GY-2

Kevin_Duke 10-03-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skadamo (Post 225295)
Thanks a lot for the coverage of CIMA! Can't wait for your next article. BTW, there is a guy working on importing the Shineray's to UK. No US importer that I know of yet.

The UK importer has been posting information here...
X2 | XY250GY-2

Yeah, that guy has been market researching via diligent use of many forums. The bike looks like a decent hole-filler between a trailbike and a full-on MX bike, and its engine is probably quite reliable if not super powerful. The unknown factors are its quality of build and spare parts support.

acecycleins 10-03-2009 08:31 PM

The problem to overcome is warranty. If they don't offer a decent warranty with a dealer network to fix bikes and deliver parts the insurance industry won't insure them for comprehensive and collision coverage.

Kevin_Duke 10-04-2009 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 225300)
The problem to overcome is warranty. If they don't offer a decent warranty with a dealer network to fix bikes and deliver parts the insurance industry won't insure them for comprehensive and collision coverage.

Are you aware of any particular Chinese bikes available in the U.S. that won't qualify for coverage?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31 PM.