Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   We've got the funky! (a helmet question) (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/13198-weve-got-funky-helmet-question.html)

Dr_Sprocket 09-22-2009 06:38 AM

We've got the funky! (a helmet question)
 
I'm a big fan of George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars. However, I'm not a big fan of helmet funk. I wash the liner about twice a year. Is there a way to keep a helmet smelling fresher throughout the year? Or, is washing the liner the only way to keep it fresh?

Also, how often should one replace their helmet? I'v had the same helmet since I began riding (almost six years ago). Do helmets "expire" after a certain time? What does one do with an old helmet? Does anyone recycle them?

I figured you guys would know.

longride 09-22-2009 06:55 AM

If you want your helmet smelling fresher, take a shower once in a while Pulley! That should do it. As for the expiration, I believe most helmets should be replaced every 5 years or so because the foam deteriorates, or degrades. That is what the helmet manufacturers say, but are they just trying to sell more helmets, or is it really a safety issue? Like most things, I never really worried about it all that much, but maybe it will keep a guy like you awake at night, and you should get it replaced. If it saves just one life, it's worth it!

seruzawa 09-22-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 224556)
If you want your helmet smelling fresher, take a shower once in a while Pulley! That should do it. As for the expiration, I believe most helmets should be replaced every 5 years or so because the foam deteriorates, or degrades. That is what the helmet manufacturers say, but are they just trying to sell more helmets, or is it really a safety issue? Like most things, I never really worried about it all that much, but maybe it will keep a guy like you awake at night, and you should get it replaced. If it saves just one life, it's worth it!

So, does this mean that if I buy a helmet that's been sitting on the shelf for 3 years that I have throw it away after 2 years because it's total life is 5 years? Or is it 5 years from the purchase date because of some mysterious physical property of helmets and sweaty heads? I'm confused. Enquiring minds want to know!

This helmet expiration wives tale is just that. Or is it helmet salesman's/manufacturer's tale? The materials that line helmets are used for other purposes in industry and no one replaces that stuff every 5 years. As long as the helmet is still sound it should be fine.

No one has ever done any scientific testing that can be found to prove this 5 year claim. I'll bet the companies that make the compression material would be insulted if anyone told them their products fall apart after 5 years. There's a bunch of warnings on new helmets but that's just lawyer doodah. I even heard of salesmen telling someone that if you even drop your helmet on the floor accidentally it has to be replaced. LOL! There's one born every second.

Of course if buying a new helmet every 5 years or 3 or 1 or every 5 minutes makes you happy then go for it. Shoei will love you.

Dr_Sprocket 09-22-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 224562)
So, does this mean that if I buy a helmet that's been sitting on the shelf for 3 years that I have throw it away after 2 years because it's total life is 5 years? Or is it 5 years from the purchase date because of some mysterious physical property of helmets and sweaty heads? I'm confused. Enquiring minds want to know!

This helmet expiration wives tale is just that. Or is it helmet salesman's/manufacturer's tale? The materials that line helmets are used for other purposes in industry and no one replaces that stuff every 5 years. As long as the helmet is still sound it should be fine.

No one has ever done any scientific testing that can be found to prove this 5 year claim. I'll bet the companies that make the compression material would be insulted if anyone told them their products fall apart after 5 years. There's a bunch of warnings on new helmets but that's just lawyer doodah. I even heard of salesmen telling someone that if you even drop your helmet on the floor accidentally it has to be replaced. LOL! There's one born every second.

Of course if buying a new helmet every 5 years or 3 or 1 or every 5 minutes makes you happy then go for it. Shoei will love you.

Exactly my thoughts. So, what do you do? How often do you replace your helmet?

Buzglyd 09-22-2009 07:40 AM

Maybe you should just mix in a little Pert Plus conditioner.

seruzawa 09-22-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 224563)
Exactly my thoughts. So, what do you do? How often do you replace your helmet?

When it no longer fits usually. Over time the soft foam lining compresses a bit and the helmet starts to rattle. I had 7 years on my last Shoei. But now I have different helmets for the different bikes so I expect them to last longer.

Also, sitting behind a windshield will put less stress on the helmet than sitting atop a naked standard. So they tend to last longer on a touring rig.

What about dirt helmets? No one replaces them every time one hits the dirt or you'd have to carry a truck full of new helmets. I had a Bell dirt bike helmet that I used for 15 years. It hit the ground a dozen times or more and kept working well. Gave good protection good protection good protection good protection good protection....

trenttheuncatchable 09-22-2009 08:16 AM

Maybe you should squirt in a little Febreze :) But seriously, since liners are removable, yeah, wash it when it gets funky. And use shampoo ...

Helmets are supposed to have a shelf life of five years. However, if you replace it after five years because of that reason, you're probably in the minority.

Kenneth_Moore 09-22-2009 09:15 AM

Most pro racers buy and use liners that you pull on your head before the helmet. They are made of the same material you see used for stretchy surgical dressings. They're cheap, use 1 or 2 times and discard. I swiped a case of them from Skip Barber school and used them till I ran out.

BTW: I've been tossing my Nolan liner in the washer pretty often, doesn't seem to bother it much. Use cold water and gentle cycles.

CrownWear Helmet Liners: The Ultimate Helmetliners, Helmet Liner, Helmet Liners, Helmetliner

PS: the new photo - are you gay or Farrah Fawcett's secret love child? Not that there's anything wrong with either answer....

12er 09-22-2009 09:17 AM


mscuddy 09-22-2009 10:32 AM

I always used a solution of baking soda and warm water on a small scrub brush, got all the black mung and ground in pimple puss out, and left a plesant smell. For you stoners out there you can tape a small skunk bud under the liner flap at the back of the helmet for that Indica aroma...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM.