Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2010 Yamaha YZ450F Preview

Original Article:
2010 Yamaha YZ450F Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Yamaha YZ450F Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

I guess I'm gonna have to take to working out and weight loss. Seems the newer dirt toys are too good to keep over-looking.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Ok,.. you know the first person over at Yamaha was drunk when they thought this up, right. Cant wait to ride it,...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Now I'm all in with the "form follows function" dictum in design, but that is one goofy looking dirtbike.

I'd much rather have a '73 400 CZ (blue coffin tank). Not only did it haul ass, it did it without looking like a thalilomide expresso machine.

Just another nail in the box. How many hours on the motor before this one grenades?

Feh Fie and Pox.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

I think it's cool, and it looks cool, IMO. At least it's not another copy-cat design in a different color.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

So..........was Cannondale right all along?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Now I'm all in with the "form follows function" dictum in design, but that is one goofy looking dirtbike.

I'd much rather have a '73 400 CZ (blue coffin tank). Not only did it haul ass, it did it without looking like a thalilomide expresso machine.

Just another nail in the box. How many hours on the motor before this one grenades?

Feh Fie and Pox.
Well, after years of development, huge expense and all that we have a 450 that might almost be as good as a 250 2-popper.... at least until it throws a rod, eggs the lower end bearing seats or sucks a valve. Or all three. At once.

40 hours between $2000 rebuilds?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

You guys ridden a modern 450?

Unless you're Bubba or RC, you're not beating one on a 250 2 stroke.

Just about eveyone rides 4 strokes these days. They're not that bad, and they don't blow up all that often. That's the 450s anyway.

The 250s blow up a lot more often.

I've been riding my 520 EXC for 5 years now, with no wear or maintenance issues. I check the valves every year, and it only needed adjustment once. Changing the oil is a bit more painful than a 2 stoke, but I can live with it.

Try one, you'll like it.

BTW, I also have a couple of 2 strokes in the garage to keep me honest.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You guys ridden a modern 450?

Unless you're Bubba or RC, you're not beating one on a 250 2 stroke.

Just about eveyone rides 4 strokes these days. They're not that bad, and they don't blow up all that often. That's the 450s anyway.

The 250s blow up a lot more often.

I've been riding my 520 EXC for 5 years now, with no wear or maintenance issues. I check the valves every year, and it only needed adjustment once. Changing the oil is a bit more painful than a 2 stoke, but I can live with it.

Try one, you'll like it.

BTW, I also have a couple of 2 strokes in the garage to keep me honest.
I've got both in my garage as well. But your KTM is not one of these works-type wunderbikes. From the riders I know and the feedback I've seen on the dirt blogs I wouldn't touch any of the fancy shmancy works-type MXers with YOUR 10 foot pole. Naw, I'll stick with the DR400 style powerplants and give up a few HP for a lot more durability.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
So..........was Cannondale right all along?
Beat me to it. Cannondale was before their time apparently. Love my Cannondale Mountain bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote