Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #131
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Traditional Harleys are not about power (duh). That's why they have VRODs. Underperforming and undersized? For which road, exactly? And Harley is improving their models every year (or two). So it's not like they're stagnating.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #132
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Triumph's new Thunderbird doesn't break new ground in the cruiser styling realm, but at least it has a different (and charismatic) motor, part of the reason we gave it our award for best cruiser of 2009: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ear-88656.html
Yea, of all the cruisers out there if i was going to buy one it would be the guzzi california vintage. love it. close second would have to be any of the triumphs.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #133
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Cool!

It's been a long time since we've had a Harley-Hate war!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #134
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The biggest joke of all is that Harley doesn't make cruisers, they make Harleys. The whole "cruiser" catagory came about to put a name on the Japanese copycats.

Harley has been building the same style bikes since the early '70's when the Superglide line was added to the Sportster and FL series. Talk about the tail trying to wag the dog.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #135
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The biggest joke of all is that Harley doesn't make cruisers, they make Harleys. The whole "cruiser" catagory came about to put a name on the Japanese copycats.

Harley has been building the same style bikes since the early '70's when the Superglide line was added to the Sportster and FL series. Talk about the tail trying to wag the dog.
Well, it's been a couple of hours and no one is biting. Too bad. These HD vs Yammerhammer flame wars can be fun. Especially when on another thread someone has revealed a serious problem with V-Star 1100s eating their trannies.

To be fair the original HD Superglides were copying owner mods. I guess if anyone gets credit for starting the factory cruiser craze it's Peter Fonda. I know how much you love him......
Old 09-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #136
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Durn tootin', why he's an American motorsikkle icon just look at all the chrome framed king cobra seated American flagged peanut tanked Panheads you see running around.......

Funny how the Billy bike became the benchmark for thousands of '70's and 80's chops.........Hopper never got the credit he deserved for that, not that he built it but still....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #137
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

It really makes me angry that although they have an unique status and brand, what is their management doing?

Same thing since the dawn of time,...NOTHING!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #138
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Durn tootin', why he's an American motorsikkle icon just look at all the chrome framed king cobra seated American flagged peanut tanked Panheads you see running around.......

Funny how the Billy bike became the benchmark for thousands of '70's and 80's chops.........Hopper never got the credit he deserved for that, not that he built it but still....
To get technical both Hopper (director/writer) and Fonda (writer/producer) made the movie so I guess you'd have to give both of them credit. Though Hopper refused to ride his bike off camera while Fonda rode his to various locations. I guess Hopper was more of a "on camera" rebel. Like most of the Hollywood "rebels". They "rebel" between their multi-million dollar homes and 5-star hotels when they aren't on their private Gulfstreams. You know! They just wanna to be left alone and drink latte's and not be hassled by the man. And they wanna get high.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #139
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
It really makes me angry that although they have an unique status and brand, what is their management doing?

Same thing since the dawn of time,...NOTHING!
Not exactly. They did manage to resurrect a company that was on the skids and turn it into the world's biggest seller of large displacement motorcycles.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #140
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Not exactly. They did manage to resurrect a company that was on the skids and turn it into the world's biggest seller of large displacement motorcycles.
I'am talking innovation, technology, sportbikes. I really wished they would grow and think into a defferent realm. Rather than make the same old designs. You know they have the money. Its just that chip on their shoulder they must remove.