Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #101
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Hey every conversation I have with you I spell better? See that question mark, that means Iam not sure even though its not a question. Internet thing? (That one meant "you didnt know that")
I feel better again!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #102
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I move forward by not owning any 700+ pound low output thingamajigs. Arguing about cruiser performance is like arguing which snail will cross the finish line first. If they want "performance" why would they buy a cruiser? 80hp instead of 68hp! Woohoo! Stop the presses!
I agree with your post except the above portion. I'll make a loose analogy to a pickup truck. None of them will outhandle a sporty car, but if I'm going to own a pickup, I'll take the one that offers the most performance for the dollar, as long as it wasn't acknowledged as something unreliable or had markedly inferior materials.

Closer to the point, the Strat Deluxe is a very nice looking bike that packs more performance per dollar than a Street Glide. If Harley's TC96 provides enough power for your purposes, then it's understandable why you wouldn't need to look outside the H-D family. But for Star's customers, there is more to the equation than that.

It'll be interesting to ride a few of these bikes back to back (including the Vid X Country) to see exactly how they compare.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #103
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The spelling thing really means you have nothing but that, on me my friend, which Iam ok with, I'd probably think your riding skill is 3rd grade material just the same.
I feel even better now!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #104
motojohn
Founding Member
 
motojohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
For the record, most of his friends and acquaintances think the same thing.

Dude, you were like SO takin' the stinkbait and runnin' it out, I couldn't help myself but to set the drag............
Wow, the toughest part of ever riding a Yamaha cruiser is the abuse taken on this forum. Heck, I go to the Broken Spoke in Laconia every year and ridden into the Harley Rendezvouz in Pattersonville, Upstate NY on a Jap bike and never got into such a fuss before. Glad I could amuse...
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #105
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Actually, it is a fact. The Japanese stated in the 80's when they got slapped with the Reagan tariff (Honda and Yamaha specifically) that the reason that Harley was going under was that Harley produced an 'inferior' V-Twin, while they produced 'superior' inline fours, and if Harley made a 'superior' inline four like they did, they wouldn't be going out of business. So if you take them for their word, they would have never made an 'inferior' V-twin, becuase they already had a 'superior' inline four, correct? So then the ONLY reason they made them is because Harleys were selling like hotcakes, and they wanted in on the action. Is that not a fact? It certainly is if they felt their inline four was 'superior'. The only reason Polaris and the others decided to get into the market was the 3 to 4 year Harley waiting list. I'm sure that even you could figure that out Duke. These manufacturers were trying to fill the void that Harley wasn't willing to fill. If it isn't a fact, as you say, then why did they all pretty much come up with air-cooled, belt driven V-Twins styled like Harleys? Coincidence? No.
Yes, Japan saw a market that was being underserved by Harley, so they jumped into it. That is a fact.

But you said: "If Harley went under in the 80's there would be no Star, no Victory, no Big Dog, or any of the rest." How could anyone know this to be a "fact."

Let's say Harley did go under in the early '80s, does that mean that there wasn't still a market for cruisers? No. The Japanese Big Four would be selling more cruisers, and companies like Indian and Victory would probably be bigger players today than they currently are. And S&S might've stepped in, and Big Dog and Big Bear would be bigger.

Facts are unequivocal. Your hypothesis isn't.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #106
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojohn View Post
Wow, the toughest part of ever riding a Yamaha cruiser is the abuse taken on this forum. Heck, I go to the Broken Spoke in Laconia every year and ridden into the Harley Rendezvouz in Pattersonville, Upstate NY on a Jap bike and never got into such a fuss before. Glad I could amuse...
I guess what's so amusing to me about this "conversation", you wouldn't know about - and that's buried-within my Dark, Black Past........ (and will stay there)

Believe it or not - I'm really NOT against you, but sometimes Trolling is just too irresistable. Hell, I still Troll for MOKE now and again. Longride though - he can get a rise to even the stinkiest bait.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #107
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I guess what's so amusing to me about this "conversation", you wouldn't know about - and that's buried-within my Dark, Black Past........ (and will stay there)

Believe it or not - I'm really NOT against you, but sometimes Trolling is just too irresistable. Hell, I still Troll for MOKE now and again. Longride though - he can get a rise to even the stinkiest bait.
Your all like this. As entertaining for me as it is for you.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #108
motojohn
Founding Member
 
motojohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I agree with your post except the above portion. I'll make a loose analogy to a pickup truck. None of them will outhandle a sporty car, but if I'm going to own a pickup, I'll take the one that offers the most performance for the dollar, as long as it wasn't acknowledged as something unreliable or had markedly inferior materials.

Closer to the point, the Strat Deluxe is a very nice looking bike that packs more performance per dollar than a Street Glide. If Harley's TC96 provides enough power for your purposes, then it's understandable why you wouldn't need to look outside the H-D family. But for Star's customers, there is more to the equation than that.

It'll be interesting to ride a few of these bikes back to back (including the Vid X Country) to see exactly how they compare.
I'd would like to see that comparison too. Hope the compariosn is inclusive of some of the additional maintenance costs as well that a lot of newer riders don't concern themselves on initial purchase. Like how many quarts of oil each change, how much a new set of OEM skins will set you back (especially that Liner odd size on the rear), recommended valve adjustment intervals, etc... With the weight of these big bikes it's really hard to keep tires on them and this is something never discussed during initial bike reviews. I know it's subjective to rider styles and environmental conditions but nevertheless a common issue. I'd like to know at least if the new Victory burns through tires just as quick.
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #109
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member
 
trenttheuncatchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, how 'bout that Obama speech? He really made the case for his healthcare program, doncha think?
Yeah, I do think (so). But I know I'm in the minority on this forum. That's okay.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #110
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yes, Japan saw a market that was being underserved by Harley, so they jumped into it. That is a fact.

But you said: "If Harley went under in the 80's there would be no Star, no Victory, no Big Dog, or any of the rest." How could anyone know this to be a "fact."

Let's say Harley did go under in the early '80s, does that mean that there wasn't still a market for cruisers? No. The Japanese Big Four would be selling more cruisers, and companies like Indian and Victory would probably be bigger players today than they currently are. And S&S might've stepped in, and Big Dog and Big Bear would be bigger.

Facts are unequivocal. Your hypothesis isn't.
Yes, modern versions of the Virago and the Madura would be a sight to see!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off