Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
Coaster
Registered Member
 
Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4
Default

Hey look, it's the latest version of the Pacific Coast! I like mine, but I don't plan on buying another.....
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #32
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member
 
trenttheuncatchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 901
Default

If I can afford it, I think I may have found my next bike ... YouTube - honda dualclutch
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
CrashieTX
Registered Member
 
CrashieTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Unhappy

What scares me is that the vaunted Quality Control oh Honda is going away. The Fury I hope was an aberation. But there is a charging at Honda that it's products that don't have the stamina. My 6 year Fat Boy Is still without problem while my 2008 CBR600RR ended up in the shop 3 times. and guys the metric bike companies are having the same problems that American companies are having. I love Harleys but I would hate to lose Honda to foolishness.
CrashieTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
If I can afford it, I think I may have found my next bike ... YouTube - honda dualclutch
It's an interesting video. The clip said something like "making sport bikes available to more people." What is it about this technology that appeals to you Trent?

Moke, you sell bikes for a living, do you think there's a bunch of potential CBR buyers who are waiting for this technology? In my year of selling bikes clutch operation never really came up, aside from occasional gripes about stiff clutch pull on some older HDs.

I think motorcycle buyers are inherently "sporting" people; almost by definition. They like machines and they like interacting with them; motorcycles are clearly the most interactive, engaging road transportation system available. Honda may sell automatic transmissioned bikes (Dual Clutch, yeah, sure, IT'S AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!) but I doubt it's going to be a pervasive change like electric starters or fuel injection. Riders want a clutch.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It's an interesting video. The clip said something like "making sport bikes available to more people." What is it about this technology that appeals to you Trent?

Moke, you sell bikes for a living, do you think there's a bunch of potential CBR buyers who are waiting for this technology? In my year of selling bikes clutch operation never really came up, aside from occasional gripes about stiff clutch pull on some older HDs.

I think motorcycle buyers are inherently "sporting" people; almost by definition. They like machines and they like interacting with them; motorcycles are clearly the most interactive, engaging road transportation system available. Honda may sell automatic transmissioned bikes (Dual Clutch, yeah, sure, IT'S AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!) but I doubt it's going to be a pervasive change like electric starters or fuel injection. Riders want a clutch.
If someone can't operate a manual transmission, the last thing they need is a 150 hp sport bike.

OTH, Ferraris and the like already have this technology. It could be the equivalent of an air shifter for a racer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #36
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

This new clutch will be in the new VFR1200, not a CBR - yet. The existence of the FJR1300AE and this bike shows that the marketing types have identified potential consumers who don't want to mess with a clutch for whatever reason.

This Honda tranny is a huge leap from the Yamaha's design that has the potential to upshift quicker and/or easier than manual operation. Maybe not for you or me, but it is interesting technology and might be successful if the cost and weight can be kept down.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashieTX View Post
What scares me is that the vaunted Quality Control oh Honda is going away. The Fury I hope was an aberation. But there is a charging at Honda that it's products that don't have the stamina. My 6 year Fat Boy Is still without problem while my 2008 CBR600RR ended up in the shop 3 times. and guys the metric bike companies are having the same problems that American companies are having. I love Harleys but I would hate to lose Honda to foolishness.
You gotta remember that Honda is basically a car company that sells bikes as an amusing sideshow.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #38
jairo
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Default

The 2010 Hondas Revealed states that the NT700 is powered by a DOHC but Honda's site specifies it as a SOHC. I would hope for a DOHC. Can someone clarify this?
jairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

I believe it's actually a SOHC but with 4 valves per cylinder. Confirming...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #40
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairo View Post
The 2010 Hondas Revealed states that the NT700 is powered by a DOHC but Honda's site specifies it as a SOHC. I would hope for a DOHC. Can someone clarify this?
SOHC - it's an "evolution" of the previous 3-valve SOHC head.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off