Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Honda needs a 1200cc or better VFR. Make it with hard bags, cruise, and all the trimmings for about 10 large and I'm there.
Your wish will be revealed in a month or two, all except your optimistic MSRP. It would be impossible to build a 1200cc V-4-powered sport-tourer in China for that price, never mind fastidious Honda in Japan. Add in cylinder deactivation, V-TEC and a single-sided swingarm, and I'll throw out a $15K guess for its MSRP.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #22
12er
Founding Member

Bobber? uh ok... Dullsville, whoopie. If Honda is still the leader I may have to get into origami.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
About the NT700. Why in the hell is there only one 750 being produced in the entire world? As far as I know anyway, the Gsxr. The historic oddity which eliminated a natural displacement class is nothing short of a tragedy.

This thing should be a 750. So should the SV always have been. The 600 supersport class in it's own way is silly. A 600 supersport as a 750 with the exact same HP would be perfection. Kawis twin 650's should have been 750's.

I know. I'm crazy with this 750 fetish. Sorry.
You're not crazy. You're right. Going to 750cc would solve those 600cc class torque-deprivation issues. But since there's a 600cc racing class all the rickey-racers want one. Never mind that only 0.1% of them ever see a track day. Membership in the squid club requires it.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #24
Duken4evr
Founding Member

750's are cool indeed. More useful all arounders in that displacement class are cooler still. The Z750 is another excellent bike whose virtues are lost on the form over function obsessed American market.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The Z750 is another excellent bike whose virtues are lost on the form over function obsessed American market.
One of the most underrated bikes of the past decade, in this country at least, not in Europe. This once again proves that Americans don't want a sporty bike without a fairing. Sad, but good for savvy consumers of pre-owned bikes!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Bet the 2011 NT has that HFT automatic tranny from the hybrid-scooter thingy. Nice looking little bike. Can't wait to read the test. I'd imagine that the thing is only good for 60hp or so. The price being $11K seems a little steep.
They definitely swiped the styling cues, didn't they? Looks like all Hondas are going to have that flattened out "shovel" look to the fairing now.

A blacked-out bobber. If they put a skull and crossbones on it, they'll sell like hotcakes. Or Harleys.

At first glance I thought the sport tour might be the a 1200 ST version of the new Interceptor. Saw some drawings of that in one of the mags; apparently it will replace the old ST 1100.

Speaking of the new Interceptor, I read something pretty interesting about it's engine layout: the two rear cylinders are in the middle, side by side. Their rods land in the center of the crank. The two forward cylinders are outside, at the ends of the crankshaft. Apparently this makes the middle of the bike skinny and easier to get your feet on the ground. However, the valve drive train is a real Rube Goldberg rig with a shaft driving the front cams and a chain driving the back. Seems like a real PITA to work on...
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
One of the most underrated bikes of the past decade, in this country at least, not in Europe. This once again proves that Americans don't want a sporty bike without a fairing. Sad, but good for savvy consumers of pre-owned bikes!
That, or it proves that Bike Manufacturers SUCK at Marketing anything except for squidarrific plasti-dip bikes, or two-fists-in-the-wind Hell's Accountant-mobiles.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
the valve drive train is a real Rube Goldberg rig with a shaft driving the front cams and a chain driving the back. Seems like a real PITA to work on...
Don't worry about it - Honda's gotcher back........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The DooVille is only about 10 years too late, the Phantom "bobber" ain't and I wouldn't pee on the rest of them if the warehouse was on fire.

Not a big fan of Honda's I'm afraid. They started downhill when Soiciro died and aside from Tadao Baba's design work on the original CBR900RR and new GoldWing they're still sliding off the edge.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

We should feel lucky that any new models are being released at all considering the current economy. I'm surprised to see the Deuville come in at $10K since they want $15K for that other 680cc scooter. Unusual for Honda who relies on it's army of zombies to spend thousands more on bikes no better than anyone else's.