Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12963-mo-goes-ama-roadracing-part-1-a.html)

Administrator 08-25-2009 02:28 PM

MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1

Original Article:
MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 08-25-2009 02:43 PM

Reads like you had quite the exciting time at Road America, Duke. Can hardly wait to read the next installment!

Kevin_Duke 08-25-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 222556)
Reads like you had quite the exciting time at Road America, Duke. Can hardly wait to read the next installment!

Thanks, 'Hawk. Yeah, I had more excitement than I bargained for!

mscuddy 08-25-2009 03:55 PM

Remember, that's down for low. Or is it up? Oh, you'll find out...

Looks like you had some fun. Too bad those Hawleys can't take an overrev without hatching.

Now that 50cc stuff, that's for MEN!

Kevin_Duke 08-25-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 222560)
Now that 50cc stuff, that's for MEN!

The NSR was amazingly fun to ride and very durable. And where else but in the world of Rossi can you lose the front end and simply pick up the bike off your knee?! Wish I still had that little buzz bomb...

mugwump58 08-25-2009 04:05 PM

And to think just down the hill and over a couple of bridges I was contemplating the cork in a fine bottle of Finger Lakes Riesling......

Can't wait for part 2!

cloud9 08-25-2009 10:12 PM

What I love about this site is that the moto journalist are also avid riders and actually interact with us blokes on the forum as well. Kevin is the closest I will get to chatting with a celebrity (don't need to get any closer, most aren't that interesting). Who said journalism is dead?

Dr_Sprocket 08-26-2009 03:04 AM

Thanks for that nice way to start the day! I look forward to chapter 2.

Kevin_Duke 08-26-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud9 (Post 222569)
What I love about this site is that the moto journalist are also avid riders and actually interact with us blokes on the forum as well. Kevin is the closest I will get to chatting with a celebrity (don't need to get any closer, most aren't that interesting). Who said journalism is dead?

Sounds like a happy reader - and one with an appropriate user-name! The only way to get closer would be to take a spot on the floor between the beds of Fonz and I at a Super 8 during our next shootout!

Nice to hear some kudos about this story from you guys. We're usually busy cranking out bike tests, so it's cool to deliver a non-bike-test article that is well-received. :)

ducatirdr 08-26-2009 12:01 PM

I have a Buell XB12R and have done track days on it. Loads of fun for cornering but the gearbox is good for a black and blue toe by the end of day, and the fancy brakes on my 2004 get hot and fade before I can get through lap one. Yet I love riding this cranky, clunky, bike around the track. You see I have an instant excuse why I'm not dropping my lap times. I just mosey around the corner with my knee skimming the pavement with no real reason to hurry. I exit the corner without any reason to accelerate and when I get to the next corner I barely touch the brakes. I then tip it in and it's ahhhhhh that knee down loving feeling.

I got my engine swapping all out of me during my 2002-2005 club racing stint. I had my EX500 engine swap down to less than 45 minutes. Another stupid bike to use for racing yet surprisingly FUN!